draining of a K1 like ski?

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #19497 by 1xsculler
Is there any reason a K1 like surfski, i.e. S1Z, S1A, 560ski, wouldn't drain as well as a V14 if it had a V14 bailer installed?

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by 1xsculler. Reason: error

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #19509 by ElRicho
Replied by ElRicho on topic draining of a K1 like ski?
Im sure it would drain ok with a ski sized venturi but installing a bilge pump works well. Easy to install too.

A mate of mine tried to install a small venturi in a K1 but it needed to be flying to drain it properly. He ended up filling it in and putting the pump back in.

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #19510 by AR_convert

ElRicho wrote: A mate of mine tried to install a small venturi in a K1 but it needed to be flying to drain it properly. He ended up filling it in and putting the pump back in.

After reading the title I thought it was asking about a venturi in a K1 but after reading the question it appeared he was just referring to some shorter skis :dry:

Maybe just titled it "V14 scupper in another ski?" and then asked would a V14 scupper work in one of those skis.

But having said that I was wondering whether a scupper had been tried in a K1 and now I know :P

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by AR_convert.

More
10 years 3 months ago #19511 by Erhard Katzer
Think that's an interesting question. I'm planning to buy a nelo 560 ski. I had the chance to test it at the ICF ocean racing wcs in vila do conde this year. It's llike tim jacobs said:" great ski and you feel like a kid in a candy shop". But draining is really bad also in comparison to my stellar ses. And as i know draining of the stellars isn't the best. So it be interesting if one could improve drainig of those k1 like skis with the right system or is draining limited because of a k1's shape. I'm interested if nelo is planning to improve that.
Looking forward to further opinions. Sorry for my english - no native.
Happy new year from Austria!
Erhard

More
10 years 3 months ago #19512 by 1xsculler
EIRicho, Where can I buy the bilge pump you are referring to? How does it work?

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

More
10 years 3 months ago #19517 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic draining of a K1 like ski?

1xsculler wrote: Is there any reason a K1 like surfski, i.e. S1Z, S1A, 560ski, wouldn't drain as well as a V14 if it had a V14 bailer installed?

When fully open, the new drains on the Epics suck out the water very fast and at reasonably low speeds below 6mph (based on my observations on the V10). This means that in most shorter skis they should work too, as long as you paddle them briskly. They might not work in a slow kayak that struggles to get up to 5mph.

More
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #19519 by ElRicho
Replied by ElRicho on topic draining of a K1 like ski?

1xsculler wrote: EIRicho, Where can I buy the bilge pump you are referring to? How does it work?

If you do a search on the net you will find plenty. They are very commonly used in K1 marathon.

The one I have has a tube that sits on the floor of the boat, and has a exit point above the waterline on the side. There is a rubber pump that is mounted on your footplate underneath your heels. As you paddle you push a little more (when required) with your heels which pumps the water out.

Its similar to the one below in the link.

www.knysnaracingkayaks.com/accessories/hubby-foot-pump/

It works mint!

And yes it appears that I have mis-read the title :unsure:
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by ElRicho.

Latest Forum Topics