the doctor

More
10 years 7 months ago #19469 by boss
the doctor was created by boss
Looking for some advice and feedback on this race from average paddlers perspective. Is it only for the elite paddlers or are there average paddlers just completing it for challenge ?I am Planning to do the Mandurah Duel SAT/SUN. ;)

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #19470 by Crossey
Replied by Crossey on topic the doctor
The only time I did the Doctor was in 2010 when the course was reversed and was a fair bit shorter than it normally is. From observation there was a fairly wide range of skills on display with the tail end of the ski field finishing an hour after the front end.

It was a really fun race and I don't think there was any point that I couldn't see other competitors. Having said that, you need to be comfortable with the thought of being a long way from shore and paddling in swell.

More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #19471 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic the doctor
Definately lots of average paddlers (like me) doing it. It's a great opportunity to paddle in the open ocean from an island to the mainland with water safety and tail end charlie vessels should you need recovering (as I did one year when getting heat stress!!!)

If you are coming for the Doctor, the Mandurah Duel or "Cut run" as the locals call it, the weekend before is a must!!! It is the best downwind due to the angle of the coastline matching nicely with the swell and runners and a short enough distance to be able to go hard.

The Doctor (for us average paddlers) requires more restraint for the crossing!

mandurahduel.blogspot.com.au/

and one for when the wind is blowing....

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by AR_convert.

More
10 years 7 months ago #19476 by Kneewall49
Replied by Kneewall49 on topic the doctor
Boss,
I have done the Dr. 3 times and going this year too. Twice it has been awesome conditions, once a lake. With a two day window this year we'll get a good one.

Yes there are a lot of gun paddlers but a lot of average ones too. The start is on the water, and campy done, it's a long race. Conditions gradually build after the first buoy turn, about 1 km, to an extremely consistent 1 meter wind chop. Runs easy to catch and miles of the.

You need a compass setting on your GPS unless you are way up front. You can't see the finish and as the field spreads and the coast line has no distinguishing features, you can get list easy. That would be my only string advise. Every thing else is similar to other events.

Book a ferry ride, on the second one, it's a long day on rottness if you get out there early. Stand down the back and watch the coast as you go out to try to see what the finish look like.

Stay at Hilary's so you can walk across the road at the finish.

We also do the mandurah race, which was a let down in 2013, being a 20km upwind to no wind flat event. Let's hope it's not so thus year.

Enjoy it.

Northern Beaches, Australia.
[Fenn Swordfish, Fenn Spark, Carbonology Zest Double
Pain is temporary, glory can be even less so...