Stealth Performance Envy

More
10 years 4 months ago #19334 by Baldy-Old-Troll
Hi guys, this is my first post here so please be gentle!

I've just got my first surfski, a Stealth Performance Envy, and was wondering if anyone on here had any experience of this boat and could give me some feedback on where in the spectrum of performance and stability this boat fits.

I was told by the seller that it was similar in stability to an Epic V10 Sport, but that is way off the mark, the only skis I had paddled before buying the Envy were the V8 which is just the same as my 18x sea kayak and the V10 Sport which was only slightly less stable. By comparison the first time I sat on the Envy I managed three strokes before ending up in the loch, I have now had it out three times and have managed to improve to the point of paddling 6k without incident and with a reasonable stroke by the end.

I got this ski at a great price and intend it to be a stepping stone to a new ski some time in the future when I've mastered the Envy, but the problem I have is that I have no way of knowing if I'm paddling a Ford Focus or a Ferrari F40,I had never actually seen a surfski in the flesh until I paddled the Epics at Sea Kayak Oban's demo day in Largs last month, no-one I know has a ski and I have never heard of any being used around here. So I'm working in isolation at the moment and could really use some feedback to allow me to judge my ability level and give me some targets to aim for.

Thanks

Stuart.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fitz
  • Fennix Swordfish S, Epic V10 Sport
More
10 years 4 months ago #19337 by fitz
Replied by fitz on topic Stealth Performance Envy
Five weeeks ago I bought my first surf ski, a Stealth Strika made by the same company as yours. I bought it because it was the only ski available for sale in Panama where I live. The dimensions are 5.93m x 0.48m. Weight is supposed to be 16kg. I guess that makes it an intermediate boat. Does your surf ski have similar dimensions?

I can't find any info about the Stealth Envy on the internet and not a whole lot about experience with the Strika either. I know that the Strika is challenging for me in cross seas and that I'm apt to swim when I get into reflected waves. All in all it's a lot of fun. The only thing I don't like is that it's difficult to get my feet out of the footstraps once I've flipped over. So now I don't use them.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19340 by sAsLEX
Replied by sAsLEX on topic Stealth Performance Envy

fitz wrote:
I can't find any info about the Stealth Envy on the internet and not a whole lot about experience with the Strika either. I know that the Strika is challenging for me in cross seas and that I'm apt to swim when I get into reflected waves. All in all it's a lot of fun. The only thing I don't like is that it's difficult to get my feet out of the footstraps once I've flipped over. So now I don't use them.

The use of the strap as a stabiliser is quite profound I find.

This guys writes better than I do - www.gregstamer.com/2012/02/01/diy-footboard-upgrade and there is some good info there on how he found a pullbar/something to pull against help with balance.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19341 by Baldy-Old-Troll
Hi Fitz,
I've seen your boat advertised, I believe they are also sold by a UK importer, but the emphasis of Stealth Performance now seems to be their fishing specific boats, the ski which I have bought is an older model,the information which they were able to supply was the dimensions of 645cm by 45cm and the comment that they regarded it as a racing ski.

Thanks

Stuart.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19342 by Baldy-Old-Troll
Hi sAsLex,
I understand and agree with your point about the foot straps being an aid to balance and also allowing better power transfer through an improved ability to use the legs for full rotation, but on the Envy they consist of seperate straps for each foot, which I'll be honest are just about unreachable with my current level of stability. I did some maintenance on the boat last night and as part of that I removed the straps completely, I'll fit a single pull bar or strap at a later date when the threat of an imminent swim doesen't accompany every paddle stroke. I'll probably fit a new footboard at the same time as the standard one is vertical rather than inclined, which is what I am used to from paddling my Epic 18x, a single strap will also allow more foot room, there's not much space for my size 9's with the current arrangement.

Thank

Stuart

More
10 years 4 months ago #19343 by sAsLEX
Replied by sAsLEX on topic Stealth Performance Envy
Try it with the straps loose to allow easy exit when sitting under the boat.

My new K1 I haven't had time to adjust the pull bar in and it is 'loose' but I can still pull back on it if required.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Baldy-Old-Troll

• gnome
  • Visitor
10 years 4 months ago #19344 by gnome
Replied by gnome on topic Stealth Performance Envy
Hi Stuart
I hope Im going to be a help.
I had a Stealth Strika and at the time Stealth had a Envy ski advertised at the same time. Though I was told they stopped making it. Or that could have been the importer just didnt want to bring them in, so Im not 100%
Anyway.
The specs I saw indicated that the Envy was 6.4 long and 42 wide. It's hull profile looked like it had some rocker but a very flat mid section. I also thought it had a similar shape to the Nelo WWR and to me by eye it had similar traits in the shape. Just judging by the pics. It looked quite appealing.
So at the time I thought it must have been their tippy speedster.
Here's a link to a pic, scroll down
segelochpaddel.blogspot.com.au/2010_03_21_archive.html

If you do a search for the Stealth Strika (here)(www.surfski.info/forum/506-manufacturer-...is-in-australia.html) you might come across my oppinion on the Strika. At that time I thought for the money if I could have got a new Envy it might make a good flat water racer. As they are alot cheaper than the other manufacturers. Similar specs and construction. So why pay for a name, I thought. Alas I couldn't get the Envy. The only issue with the Strika (original) was the Venturis, they were absolute Cr-p. They have a tube that travel up towards the deck before down and out the hull. This stops water coming up into the footwell but near impossible to exit. I lowered the tubes, which helped but it wasn't great.
In the end I sold it and got a Think Evo (2nd hand same price as new Strika), Evo is Lovely boat. Though to compare the Strika and Evo for the money I should have kept the Strika and modified the Venturis to the same as other brands, no tubes just straight out the hull.
The Strika is slightly more stable (for me) than the Evo and they paddle same speed (for me) They both surf the same once on the runners. The Strika is easy to remount as it has a very shallow seat area with low sides, sort of like a Surf Life Saving Ski spec ski. So yes its a wetter ride than the Evo. Water around here is really cold so that made the change worth it. One more potential issue was their footplate. It was quite weak and I cracked the mounts, not the tracks. I was told they had been improved with the newer model. Though all manufacturers always say the newer models are better (and faster) than the previous. :-).
So if I had time to repeat and the Envy was available, for the price of one and a quarter other brand of boat I would have a Strika for the rough and the Envy for calm racing (if the Envy turned out to be a fast boat). Cause the difference in ski's to me is minimal.

I have had
Fenn Elite
Nelo WWR
Think Evo, Think Uno x2
Stealth Strika
Green 7 (I would have another one of those if i had the $$ and could find one)Im trying to sell the Uno to try to do that. Very versitile ski. Pretty quick too. Very tippy in side chop though.
Spec ski

I have no affiliation with any ski company and do not get any sponsorship or monetory bonuses. I pay full price just like everyone else who just paddles for the enjoyment.

So that probably didnt help a whole lot. But if you have a Envy and it is the same as what I have been talking about and your a newbie. Then Im sure it will be a tippy fast ski. Not a beginner stable slow ski. So keep up the practice, be determined and you will get better. If it's too tippy in the rough get a true intermediate ski for the rough so you can have FUNNN.
All the best
Rudi

More
10 years 4 months ago #19345 by Kayaker Greg
A good reply there Gnome but just wanted to highlight that the link you provided indicates that the Envy is 44cm wide, not 42cm wide so that should make a huge difference in stability for a beginner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Baldy-Old-Troll

More
10 years 4 months ago #19346 by Baldy-Old-Troll
Hi sAsLEX,

I'll give that a try when I sort out the footplate, I used the pull strap loose when I demoed the V10 sport so I understand how useful it will be. When I modifiy or replace the footplate I think that a single strap across both feet will be the way to go,easier to use and it will give me a fraction more foot space.

Thanks

Stuart.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19347 by Baldy-Old-Troll
Hi Gnome,

Thanks for the link, thats the first picture and spec that I have seen online. My boat is slightly different from that one, I don't have the red tail section, mine is white, don't know if that is just cosmetic or signifies anything.

The scuppers on the Envy are as you describe,plastic through the skin fittings connected by a plastic hose which bends up to create a u-bend,I'll look at modifying them later but at the moment I'm going so slow that they're keeping my feet dry!

Thanks

Stuart.

• fitz
  • Fennix Swordfish S, Epic V10 Sport
More
10 years 4 months ago #19349 by fitz
Replied by fitz on topic Stealth Performance Envy
Hi sAsLEX,

Thanks for the footplate modification link. I'll take your advice and try loosening the straps first and if that doesn't help I'll go to the modification.

Latest Forum Topics