GPS wrist watch

More
10 years 7 months ago #19244 by mickeyA
GPS wrist watch was created by mickeyA
I want a very simple inexpensive GPS that accurately shows my distance and elapsed time. I do not care about uploading to computer, heart rate and other bells and whistles. I've tried my iPhone with GPS software, but cannot keep the signal. Maybe the clear waterproof case interferes? I am currently considering Timex Triathlon Easy Trainer and Garmin Forerunner 10, both wrist watch style (my preference) around $100-130 USD (also my preference). Is there any reason why either of these will not meet my needs on the water (sometimes on rivers and lakes near trees)? Thanks

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #19246 by Rod Thomas
Replied by Rod Thomas on topic GPS wrist watch
Are you using MotionX on your iPhone? Before you give up on it, try disabling the compass interference warning and turn off all other apps especially those that use gps.

More
10 years 7 months ago #19249 by sAsLEX
Replied by sAsLEX on topic GPS wrist watch
Here is a good baseline to start with this - www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/11/sports-gadgets-recommendations.html and he has comprehensive reviews most models

More
10 years 7 months ago #19252 by mickeyA
Replied by mickeyA on topic GPS wrist watch
Thanks for the info. Sounds like the gadget review likes Garmin Forerunner 10 better than Timex Ironman Easy Trainer for wrist watch GPS. Only issue I see with Forerunner 10 is 5 hour battery life vs 8 on Timex. My last race took 5.5 hrs. I assume accuracy and reliability are the same for running and biking as they are for paddling (if you did not any better, you would think running and biking were more popular than surfskiing if you just looked at GPS ads)?? As for iPhone, I have tried Strava, MapMyRide, and AllSport, but not MotionX yet and will try the aps off and compass tricks. I am convinced all the aps work, but the problem is with how I carry the iPhone. It is in a LifeProof case, then inside a Mariner waterproof bag with clear front, which is clipped to my lifevest. How do you go about protecting and placing your (valuable, fragile, non-waterproof) iPhone? Also, can you have the screen stay on constantly? Does it kill the battery? Thanks!

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #19254 by Rod Thomas
Replied by Rod Thomas on topic GPS wrist watch
I use the Aquapac
store.aquapac.net/explore-product-range/...nganui-case-348.html
I use one size too big so I don't have to take the iPhone out of the protective case I have for it. Yes you can use the touch screen. The only problem is if you have condensation - so I stuff a tissue in to absorb it.
The issue for me with Motion X is that it only updates every 6 secs. This is fine for tracking your route, but if on a downwind I want to see how fast my runs are I get a disappointing low speed! (My runs are usually a lot shorter than 6 secs!).
The advantage is that it sends your position back to a computer so someone can track your progress which is an excellent safety point for a lone paddler on the sea (like me). Also it emails the gpx file to any emails you specify so your track is waiting in your email when you get home.
The other issue (for you) is iPhone battery life. So I would check that too.

• Hulk
  • Carb. Vault FENN Sw. BOS Raptor EPIC Mid Wing gr
More
10 years 7 months ago #19301 by Hulk
Replied by Hulk on topic GPS wrist watch
I absolutely love the Suunto Ambit 2 for paddling and any other outdoor activity.