Dyneema/Spectra in a Fenn

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #19165 by 7ender
Hey guys,
The stainless rudder line in my XT is rusted/frayed, so i'm planning on replacing it with 7/64" Dyneema Amsteel Blue.

I haven't actually heard of anyone putting spectra type line in a Fenn before, and yes, I read every thread on here about it.

What i'm wondering is, what is the best way to secure it to the rudder pedals (since the steel cables normally use screw clamps). I've never seen any other ski's in person before but i've studied some pictures- does the line just weave through the three holes in the pedals and friction keeps it there? Or am I missing something? My pedals already have two holes in them, so if this is the case I would just drill a third in and do it that way.

Thanks for the help!
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by 7ender.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19166 by Jmuzz
Replied by Jmuzz on topic Dyneema/Spectra in a Fenn
This movie might tell you more than static pictures. I wiggle and adjust the cables so you can see how they slip through the holes. Very easy to adjust and they just lock in position with friction.

The grommets in the holes are hard plastic not rubber, I think their purpose is to prevent the rope fraying on any sharp edges. Make sure your holes are rounded edges and polished so they won't be abrasive on the rope as it will always slip a bit. Or if you find rubber grommets which fit they will probably work well.

Get the silver color amsteel (it is still amsteel blue) because all the other colors rub off to grey anyway, the color is just waxy coating stuff.

Google into "amsteel bury", it is a neat way to terminate the ends and I think may make a good substitute for the twisting adjuster thing Epic use (which I don't really like much). If you are handy with splicing ropes.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19167 by Schravesande
It appears as if you have an XT with non adjustable pedals as they have only two holes and the steel cable was attached directly to the pedal.
If this is the case you do not need three holes. Just thread the lines in the same way that the cable was threaded, adjust and tie with a fishernans knot (make sure you get that right!)
The holes must be very smooth so as this is where dyneema is likely to wear, if at all.
I have 2mm dyneema in both my skis and have had no problems.
If you are in the Cape Town area you can get dyneema from the Southern Ropes factory shop. I bought enough for about three replacements for SAR25.00 about US$2.50!

More
10 years 4 months ago #19168 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Dyneema/Spectra in a Fenn
If you can find Q-spectra power cord ( also used for think rudder lines and kite boarding lines) consider it instead of am steel , it isn't braided so less stretch , has a tight sheath around a core so maybe more durable , and since it is relatively stiffer is way easier to thread through the rudder line tubes. It ain't cheap and hard to find cut to length , they
usually have it in 50' spools.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19170 by Oskar
Replied by Oskar on topic Dyneema/Spectra in a Fenn
Someone with an Epic ski asked me to replace his original lines with stainless cable because he was having so many problems.

The grass is always greener on the other side...

More
10 years 4 months ago #19178 by 7ender
Replied by 7ender on topic Dyneema/Spectra in a Fenn
Finished it today. Took a couple hours cause I went through and got rid of any sharp edges in the cable guides to prevent future fraying. Also, I discovered there were indeed 3 holes in the pedals (one right next to the hinge) so that part went smoothly.

It was cheap enough, at $8 for 28 feet, but it seems a bit stickier than the SS cable before it.

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #19195 by Fath2o
Replied by Fath2o on topic Dyneema/Spectra in a Fenn
I bolted small dinghy jam cleats to the back of the pedals on my V10 and works great - No knots. Then I came up with this idea for my EVO. A double V shaped jam cleat made from a 1/2" nylon coupling cut with a utility knife. See pictures. REAL SIMPLE! Neither one has ever slipped after years of heavy use in ocean. Makes adjusting pedals very simple with no tools. Used heat shrink tubing on the ends to prevent fraying. Much easier than splicing.
My XT is next, don't like the faux stainless steel cables.
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Fath2o. Reason: correction

Latest Forum Topics