Hank McGregor wins 2013 Dragon Run

More
10 years 5 months ago #19120 by [email protected]
The 2013 Steelcase Dragon Run was held today in Hong Kong. Conditions were:
  • Wind NE 10kt
  • 25C
  • Small runs, confused reflected waves near the cliffs
  • Flat/side-chop for the last 2-3km to the finish

Hank McGregor won in emphatic style, beating defending champion Tim Jacobs by a about a minute.

This is one of the last big races in the surfski calendar that Hank has finally cracked; in previous years he's had disappointing results, so he'll be particularly pleased with this one.
  1. Hank McGregor (SA)
  2. Tim Jacobs (Aus)
  3. Michael Booth (Aus)
  4. Jeremy Cotter (Aus)
  5. Jasper Mocke (SA)
  6. Dawid Mocke (SA)
  7. Matt Bouman (SA)
  8. Sean Rice (SA)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #19122 by rambo
Very interesting results.

More
10 years 5 months ago #19125 by 1xsculler
I just viewed a Youtube video about Hank and his dad which was very interesting. Hank and all the rest of those paddlers are amazing athletes.

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

More
10 years 5 months ago #19126 by barrypaddle1
Michael Booth has done very well since he got of the Think.

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #19130 by Dicko
BP1. Is that "on the Think" or "off the Think"?

The results pictures gleaned from facebook make facinating reading. All events should include the make and model of the boat. Fenns', Nelos' and Thinks' well represented in the top 10.

The womens event wonn in a Fenn elite and 2nd in a Think eze.

It seems the flatter races are won by the boats with no rocker like the Uno max. More difficult conditions are dominated by the Fenn's.
Tim Jacobs always comes 2nd. Whether this is a reflection of how good he is or the limitations of a shorter unstable boat, cos I've never read anything about the Nelo.

11th place to v10. Good result in an intermediate boat.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Dicko.

More
10 years 5 months ago #19131 by 1xsculler
Where can you find the complete results?

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

More
10 years 5 months ago #19135 by Stew

barrypaddle1 wrote: Michael Booth has done very well since he got of the Think.

I wouldn't call 4th at the Doctor and 20 Beaches bad results when he was on a Think.

Michael is still very young, and will continue to improve for many years, which is scary for the opposition. He's absolutely fit as a fiddle and rips as hard as anyone when he's racing. Fenn are very lucky to have a great athlete like him racing. But let's not get into non factual, sweeping statements bagging other brands. Celebrate the guy's rise instead.

More
10 years 5 months ago #19137 by damien17
Right behind Stew with this.
Michael has had some amazing results on the "Think" surfski brand. For such a young guy he will certainly be a major race winner in future years.

More
10 years 5 months ago #19139 by barrypaddle1

Stew wrote:
But let's not get into non factual, sweeping statements.

3rd on a Fenn in this very hot field is factually better then 4th on a Think.

I agree sky is the limit for the young guy.

More
10 years 5 months ago #19140 by Stew

barrypaddle1 wrote:

Stew wrote:
But let's not get into non factual, sweeping statements.

3rd on a Fenn in this very hot field is factually better then 4th on a Think.

I agree sky is the limit for the young guy.

You made a statement that Michael has gone very well since getting off a Think. He was ripping on a Think (as evidenced by many top results) and has continued that amazing form since going to a Fenn. Why even make such an observation if not for the purpose of slating Think and suggesting that he did poorly on one? Whatever your reasons for that may be, good on you. I'm stoked for him and his result, you should be too, rather than try pull a brand down who supported a young kid through his first years in the ocean racing scene.

More
10 years 5 months ago #19141 by barrypaddle1

Stew wrote: You made a statement that Michael has gone very well since getting off a Think.

Ummm he has !

Stew wrote: He was ripping on a Think (as evidenced by many top results) and has continued that amazing form since going to a Fenn.

Yes he was ripping on a Think, now a higher result on a Fenn!

Stew wrote: Why even make such an observation if not for the purpose of slating Think and suggesting that he did poorly on one?

I never said he did poorly on a Think! Re-read the post.

Stew wrote: Whatever your reasons for that may be, good on you. I'm stoked for him and his result, you should be too, rather than try pull a brand down who supported a young kid through his first years in the ocean racing scene.

Every one is happy for his result, the guy has talent. I cant see a brand pull down from the first post.
My original post is 100% accurate.

More
10 years 5 months ago #19142 by antonsa
Guys - just let's all say a big thank you to all the ski manufactures who sponsor the top and up and coming paddlers and make sure that skis are available at all the exotic venues. This allows the sport to grow and keeps us desk bound paddlers working hard to get to one of these fantastic events. Great sport, great people, great manufactures! (Oh, and Rob, great website).
The following user(s) said Thank You: YBA/Jim Murray

More
10 years 5 months ago #19191 by JohnK
Hi guys,

Is there any video of the Steelcase on line?

More
10 years 5 months ago #19192 by rambo
John, I've done videos of the last few years, but not 2013, not sure any was done, haven't heard. Hope to be back in 2014 :-)

2011> vimeo.com/32617387
2012> vimeo.com/54179549
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stephen Bunney

More
10 years 5 months ago #19193 by JohnK
Rambo, I am a huge fan of your work and look forward to your future projects. Thanks for the links it gets the adrenaline flowing every time.
John

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #19208 by svengali
the lack of logic evident from the comments about Boothy's placing indicates that it was pure trolling on the part of this Barry bloke

in case you missed it, Barry, the recent world champs were won by Sean Rice in a Think Uno Max, and something like 6 of the top 10 places were by paddlers in Think Uno Max's
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by svengali. Reason: typo

More
10 years 5 months ago #19209 by Fuyang Guy
Agree about the trolling,
but you are incorrect regarding the placing's

1 - Rice - Think
2 - TJ - Nelo
3 - Cory - Epic
4 - Mat B - Epic
5 - Grant VdW - Epic
6 - Sam Norton - Epic
7 - Hank - Fenn
8 - Walter Sanchez - Nelo?
9 - Jasper - Fenn
10 - Brandon VdW - Stellar

More
10 years 5 months ago #19210 by svengali
apologies, my mistake

i was probably conflating this with the fact that Sean Rice had a podium finish on his Molokai debut, on a Think Uno Max

coming second to Clint Robinson on your Molokai debut is not a bad effort, i think (pun intended)

More
10 years 5 months ago #19211 by AR_convert

Fuyang Guy wrote: Agree about the trolling,
but you are incorrect regarding the placing's

1 - Rice - Think
2 - TJ - Nelo
3 - Cory - Epic
4 - Mat B - Epic
5 - Grant VdW - Epic
6 - Sam Norton - Epic
7 - Hank - Fenn
8 - Walter Sanchez - Nelo?
9 - Jasper - Fenn
10 - Brandon VdW - Stellar

I think most armchair observers would agree that you could swap the paddlers and boats around and get very nearly the same results. At the professional level the boat would have less impact as it does on us mere mortals.

The numbers of any one brand in a top 10 could also point to how many elite paddlers are sponsored by that company (and indeed assisted to attend the event).

Having said all that I believe the different skis are enough to effect placing in both very mild/flat conditions and very choppy/technical conditions. But in a out and out downwind I wouldn't blame the ski for a result at this level.

Always looking for the next boat :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: paddlehammo, Stephen Bunney

More
10 years 4 months ago #19275 by Kocho
Looking at the results, I think the kind of ski (not the brand) actually seems to have made a difference in that particular race: choppy confused waters. I would not expect the V8 (pretty high-up along with Think Evos in the men's) and think Eze (second place, women) to place so high and beat "elite"skis if the conditions were more favorable for the skinnier skis. All but the top elite paddlers seem to have benefitted from the added stability, it seems ...

Latest Forum Topics