adjusting paddle length between different boats

More
10 years 9 months ago #18552 by Dicko
Does anyone else find they adjust their paddle length between different boats?

For example when I go from my Vault to my wife's SEL I lengthen the paddle 2cm. The SEL tends to sit higher in the water.

How much adjustment is required?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #18559 by Ric
I sometimes feel that a +-1cm difference between some of the boats I use works for me.

For me its a case of keeping my action the same, even though the boat height is different.

More
10 years 9 months ago #18560 by Ranga
Generally you should be adjusting your paddle to how strong you feel and the conditions on the day.

For instance Oscar will adjust his paddle during a race, getting progressively shorter as the race progresses or as and when he feels he cannot pull a long paddle, he will go down to 210.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #18562 by AR_convert

Ranga wrote:

For instance Oscar will adjust his paddle during a race, getting progressively shorter as the race progresses or as and when he feels he cannot pull a long paddle, he will go down to 210.

I have been progressively lengthening my paddle on the ski for years, starting with 210 and incrementally working my way out to 212.5 I can train at 213 but it really leaves me sore.

If I think want accelerate downwind easier I shorten it a little but if I'm not racing I leave it long. One thing I did notice is that I am less stable with a shorter paddle length downwind :huh:

I've read a few times about Oscar adjusting on the fly. I reckon I'd fall out in a downwind trying to do that.

I wish there was a simple calculation to know what length for what boat, especially since I'm now paddling kayaks and skis but it's trial and error for me.

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by AR_convert.

More
10 years 9 months ago #18564 by sAsLEX

AR_convert wrote:

Ranga wrote:

If I think want accelerate downwind easier I shorten it a little but if I'm not racing I leave it long. One thing I did notice is that I am less stable with a shorter paddle length downwind :huh:

www.cyberiad.net/library/pdf/ksn06jun12.pdf
This is an interesting article on changing boat trim to do with intended race/paddling pace.

Not quite sure how you could change this on the fly, or hoe you can change trim in a ski with a fixed bucket either....

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #18565 by AR_convert
not sure how that related to paddle length change :laugh: but I appreciated you sharing that paper anyway sAsLEX ;)

Being a new K1 paddler I am keen to make sure I get the trim right for Marathon.

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by AR_convert.

More
10 years 9 months ago #18566 by Fath2o
O.K. I realize were all a bunch of serious athletes here. Wether competing against our selves or others. And I am sure we all like to throw back a few cold ones to relieve the pain at the end of the day! But, sometimes I have to wonder WTF are you guys talking about... But seriously, thats an interesting concept of shortening the paddle length to
reduce fatigue (and most recently injury) on a long paddle.

More
10 years 9 months ago #18658 by partymarty
I use a 205-215 epic mid wing and vary my paddle length between boats and conditions all the time. I paddle a V10s.
For playing in the surf I'll shorten it right down to 205, for downwinders training and general paddles I'll set it at about 207/8.
When I'm bashing into the wind I'll extend it out to 210/212.
On my kayak (epic touring endurance - so read that as a v8 with a lid) I use a soloution fixed at 218, this paddle's blade has a slightly thinner profile than the epic mid wing.
When I'm using the epic mid wing with the kayak I'll set it at about 212, extending out to the full 215 for upwid bashing.
The longer paddle gives you a much slower cadence, but to me feels like a deeper more powerful stroke.

More
10 years 9 months ago #18668 by Physio
dont get why you have longer upwind as youve said it is a slower higher pwr stroke which seams the opposite of what you want upwind, intuitively I would have thought up wind like up hill, lower gear and higher cadence, less time in the glide as your speed drops faster between strokes.

More
10 years 9 months ago #18673 by Ranga
Yes, fully agree with Physio. That is the wrong way to go, it is like changing to the tallest gear going uphill on a bike!

But whatever works for you. Have fun.