Kayak ergometers?

More
10 years 10 months ago #18336 by 1xsculler
Kayak ergometers? was created by 1xsculler
Are any of you surfskiers using kayak ergs? If so, what kind and how do you like them?
It looks like it wouldn't be too much work to make a Concept 2 rowing erg convertible into a kayak erg.

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #18352 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Kayak ergometers?

1xsculler wrote: Are any of you surfskiers using kayak ergs? If so, what kind and how do you like them?
It looks like it wouldn't be too much work to make a Concept 2 rowing erg convertible into a kayak erg.

I had one for a little while, a K1 trainer www.k1trainer.net/k1-trainer/

Made from alloy so while it's sturdy it's quite light so easy enough to shift around the house when not in use.

I liked it...but...you need to wear gloves and even then the heat generated by the paddle shaft caused blisters almost everytime I used it. Had to give the hands about a week break to recover.

Talking to others that have them they are really only good for up to an hour as they are hard on the body.

I ended up selling it to fund another boat. As I'm fortunate enough to live a few hundred metres from the waters edge I dont really need it, but if I lived far enough way to have to drive I would definately have one if I wanted to keep race fitness up.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
10 years 10 months ago #18353 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Kayak ergometers?
I've been using the KayakPro GYM (and their earlier model) for the past 10 winters or so - I live in Wisconsin where the water is ice from early December through mid-March. It's pricey but a very good and durable product. It's effective for training. Most of my northern friends who have a GYM have the same opinion which is that it's an effective tool to work on technique in the off-season and it's necessary if one is interested in being competitive on the water during our 6 month season. Of course we all xc ski, too.

• Yankee Paddler
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #18385 by Yankee Paddler
Replied by Yankee Paddler on topic Kayak ergometers?
I also use the kayak Pro Gym and would definitely would recommend it. I have had mine for 3 years and have many hours on it.