replacing rudder lines

More
10 years 10 months ago #18319 by 1xsculler
I did a search and couldn't find any info., so, how do you replace a broken rudder line if it has pulled into the hull? Do the lines, hopefully, run in tubes so you can thread a wire through to pull a new line?

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #18322 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic replacing rudder lines
You could try a bit of cotton or mono filament line and blow it through with an air gun, I've done this before, then you can attach it to your new line (the cotton can be sewed to the new line) and pulled through.

More
10 years 10 months ago #18323 by 1xsculler
Replied by 1xsculler on topic replacing rudder lines
So, it sound like the rudder lines do run through tubes in the hull, right?
If they didn't run through tubes it would be nearly impossible to ever find the entry and exit holes in the hull.

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

More
10 years 10 months ago #18324 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic replacing rudder lines
Don't know what boat your talking about but most boats yes.

More
10 years 10 months ago #18331 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic replacing rudder lines
I have never heard of a ski without internal tubes, however there are many out there where they do come adrift and fall inside the ski. Have a look at the entry points where the rudder cable goes into the ski, if you can see the tubing you are in luck, if not the ski will have to be cut open to re-install the tubes, usually comes adrift at the stern.

Heavy duty fishing line also works to pull through rubber line, I super glue it onto the line and it works a treat. Rudder cable does not need anything as it is S/S and stiff enough to support itself. However most new rudder line is quite stiff and should also push through no problem.

More
10 years 10 months ago #18342 by richardh
Replied by richardh on topic replacing rudder lines
The only issue I faced when changing my rudder lines from s/s to was that some kind of wax like compound had been used around both ends of the rudder tubes and I was unable to push the new lines through. I'm guessing that this was used to keep sand out.

In my case, clothes washing line was almost the same size as the internal diameter rudder tubes and I was able, with some force, to push this through a number of times to clean the tubes out.

It's probably a good idea the flush the tubes to remove salt and sand before threading the new lines.

More
10 years 10 months ago #18346 by red_pepper
Replied by red_pepper on topic replacing rudder lines
I've replaced the rudder lines on a few boats. You can get a long length of small-diameter music wire and run it through the rudder line tubes, tape or glue the new line to the wire, and pull it back through. It works nicely!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Selkie