Dead Leg

More
10 years 11 months ago #18065 by Gsez
Dead Leg was created by Gsez
Good morning,

I've been paddling a Carbonology vault for nearly 2 years but took delivery of my new Glide yesterday. An intimidating looking boat in terms of stability but did 4km's this morning and loved it!!! Much more stable than she looks and easily linked runs in small wind chop that I would have had to grind through on my old boat.

BUT! The cockpit is a lot tighter than the my old boat and by the time i finished paddling my left foot and most of my leg had gone completely dead!
Anybody else had similar problems and how do I get around this?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #18066 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Dead Leg
Howzit...

Just spoke to one of the pros and he suggested two things:

- Use a bum pad. It'll change the pressure spots on your backside (and give you a better paddling position). The downside is that it will make the boat a little more tippy.
- Adjust the rudder pedals forward so that you push more solidly against your heels without inadvertently turning the boat. It'll reducer the tension in your hamstrings and also change the pressure points on your backside.

Good luck!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carcharodon, Gsez

More
10 years 11 months ago #18067 by Nige
Replied by Nige on topic Dead Leg
Hi,

I've got a Glide and had exactly the same problem, caused by the seat being a bit too snug for me. Rather than use a thick butt pad, get one of those thin aerobics/camping mats and cut that to suit your bucket as you prefer. Its very thin and soft and you can mould it to go up the sides and back slightly.

It worked for me and the difference in stability is minor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gsez

More
10 years 11 months ago #18070 by Gsez
Replied by Gsez on topic Dead Leg
Thanks Gents.
Will fiddle around and try your suggestions. will report back in a few days.

More
10 years 11 months ago #18072 by ErikE
Replied by ErikE on topic Dead Leg
I haven't had that problem in any surfski I've tried, but I've experienced it in several racing- and sea-kayaks. In all cases, putting a piece of camping mat under my feet helped.

The good thing about this solution is that it doesn't hurt your stability. That bad thing is that if you already have your feet high compared to your seat (or seat low compared to your feet, but that's the same thing), which is common in surfskis, you may not want to get your feet even higher.