Old v10 v's new v10

More
10 years 9 months ago #17788 by Rob1
Old v10 v's new v10 was created by Rob1
I'm looking at upgrading from the previous model v10 to the new one for downwind/ocean paddling only. I currently paddle the v14 in flat and smaller conditions. I don't have any issues with the older v10 just wondering is it worth upgrading. After any feed back from others who have gone from the previous model to the new one. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jerry
  • Visitor
10 years 9 months ago #17800 by Jerry
Replied by Jerry on topic Old v10 v's new v10
I have made the switch from a 2010 V10 ultra to the new V10, also in ultra layup.

Just finished paddling the new version this evening on a reservoir with mild wind.

Last night I had went out in the latest version of the V10 Sport ultra in a rougher area from boat traffic.

My observations are that there is very little difference between the two in stability and the V10 being not much faster then the sport.

Again, having owned two older V10's and paddling 318 days last year, I would say that the older versions of the V10 do NOT have the stability of the new model.

So if owning a V10 that you are comfortable in all the time, and does not wear you down from stability issues, then the switch is well worth it.

I would do it again without hesitation.

Hope this helps.

More
10 years 9 months ago #17803 by [email protected]
When I was in Mauritius a couple of weeks ago I paddled both the old and new V10s.

When I got into the old V10 after paddling the new one, I observed:
  • The old V10 cockpit felt very deep and tight
  • The old V10 felt much tippier
  • Remounting the new V10 was much easier - because it has lower gunwales and a slightly wider seat.
  • For me the seat is MUCH more comfortable on the new V10; the old one would give me a raw coccyx in about 5min of paddling.

So for me it would be a no-brainer, especially as my balance is not legendary. The new V10 has intermediate ski stability (I would judge it as fractionally more tippy than the Fenn Swordfish) with - theoretically - an elite boat's speed, although I can't say for sure since I didn't race the boat and I wasn't paddling with any of my regular marks.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
10 years 9 months ago #17806 by Rob1
Replied by Rob1 on topic Old v10 v's new v10
I understand the new v10 is more stable then the older model however is this newer model as fast, faster or slower then the previous ski. I want to hear from people who don't have any issues regarding stability and have spent a number of years paddling the older model and are now paddling the new one. Thanks

More
10 years 8 months ago #17807 by andrew wheeler
Replied by andrew wheeler on topic Old v10 v's new v10
Rob

Sounds like my situation may be similar to yours. I paddled the old v10 ultra for a number of years as my sole single ski. When Epic came out with their new fleet last Dec/Jan I picked up a v14 which I use for flat/harbour conditions. Ideally I'd just use the 14 for all conditions however its just too tippy in the bump for me to get decent power down plus I need a 10mm seat in it to stop my legs going numb (only epic I have had this issue with but its a pretty narrow ski). I love the 14 in the flat as it rewards good technique and lets you know if you slack off.

In Jan I also picked up a new v10 ultra thinking that I would use it for ocean paddling instead of my old v10. In the last 6 months I've used both the new and old v10 in a variety of ocean conditions in Sydney and I've just come back from holidays with the family in Hawaii where I had about 3 weeks paddling doing Hawaii Kai and Makapuu runs on both the old and new v10 in ultra lay up. Why have I been using both boats? Because for the last 6 months I haven't been sure which is better for me.

In summary, for me:

- the old v10 feels faster than the new v10 in small to medium ocean conditions. The boat seems to have an ability to run longer and link up runs a little easier than the new v10. Im not really surprised by this given the old v10 is 43.5cm wide vs 45cm for the new v10 and the old v10 has a more aggressive hull profile than the new v10 which has a flatter bottom. Just sit them side by side and have a look.

- the new v10 feels more controllable and surfs better than the old v10 in medium to large ocean. It steers where you want it to and inspires confidence. Clearly more stable than the old v10 in confused water and for me really enjoyable to paddle in these type of conditions.

I've now ended up with the three boats as I think they are all quite different and have their pro's/con's for me in different conditions as noted above.

More
10 years 8 months ago #17812 by Kennneee
Replied by Kennneee on topic Old v10 v's new v10
Jerry,

Just to muddy the waters even more, how does the new V10 compare to your Stellar SEL. Thinking of making a switch and would love a comparison from someone that has paddled both. Thanks.

Ken

More
10 years 8 months ago #17813 by Rob1
Replied by Rob1 on topic Old v10 v's new v10
Thanks for the reply Andrew however I do have one question. If you had to pick between the previous v10 and the new model for all your ocean paddling and you could only have the one ski for all ocean conditions, which would it be? I don't want to put you on the spot Andrew, I'm trying to avoid having three skis if possible, gets a little hard hiding a third ski from my partner.
Maybe Tony H can give his opinion between the two.

More
10 years 8 months ago #17815 by andrew wheeler
Replied by andrew wheeler on topic Old v10 v's new v10
Rob

If I had to go with only one ski for the ocean it would be the new v10 because of its surfing ability and comfort over longer distances.

Andrew

• Jerry
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #17821 by Jerry
Replied by Jerry on topic Old v10 v's new v10
Men:

Regarding your question, based upon paddling a SEL and new V10:

The SEL was faster.

The SEL was not as stable.

The SEL was slightly more ski then I could handle.

More
10 years 8 months ago #17824 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Old v10 v's new v10

Jerry wrote: Men:

Regarding your question, based upon paddling a SEL and new V10:

The SEL was faster.

The SEL was not as stable.

The SEL was slightly more ski then I could handle.

Did you measure your speeds in a consistent way? If going by "feel" alone, I would hesitate to make conclusions on speed. There was another poster here who did not find a difference in speeds:

www.surfski.info/forum/2-announcements/1...c-v10-stability.html

More
10 years 8 months ago #17828 by Kennneee
The Stellar SEL was my first ski after many years of kayak paddling and racing. It took a bit of time to feel comfortable on it. I still can't put full power on in the bumps. I weigh 148lbs. and sometimes wonder if I am a bit light for the SEL. I recently bought a used carbon Swordfish and seem to be able to go as fast on it as on the SEL if there is any texture to the water. I have been thinking that the new V10 might be a the best of both. I have 9 boats at the moment (2 skis) and would like to thin out the herd a bit. I hope to be able to paddle the V10 soon and see if it could replace my other skis. Could wind up with 10 boats............ Appreciate all of the good insights here.

Ken

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #17830 by Kocho
Replied by Kocho on topic Old v10 v's new v10
From what I read online, you might be a bit on the light side for the SEL and possibly the V10. Epic is supposedly updating the V10L too this year, based on online rumors as well, and that might be the one to check out. Or the SES?

I am 185-190lb and I think the V10 carries my weight well and it might be less stable for a lighter paddler (just like the V10 Sport was).

As for speed, I think kayakchampeen's (sp?) post recently is worth a read - the V10 is long and I find it has considerable resistance on flat water to move fast and that could be taxing for someone like me who is not a fitness machine... I have not tried to time myself if I am faster in it than I was in the Sport over say 10-15 miles, but it definitely has higher top end speed - I can accelerate and catch-up with faster folks if I put an interval and also stay on faster boat wakes better than I could with the Sport. To me it was mainly an ergonomics decision but I also wanted a bit of an edge over the Sport in terms of speed - if I got the latter still remains to be seen...
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Kocho.

More
10 years 8 months ago #17835 by JohnK
Replied by JohnK on topic Old v10 v's new v10
I would agree with Kocho on the weight question. I weigh 74Kgs and found that the Sport had way too much volume for me. I swapped to the new V10 and found the seat and position much better adapted to my size although not ideal. The swap also allowed me to learn better paddle and boat control as I am more in contact with the ski. I however find it very long and heavy in the perf layup. It is about a kilo heavier than my sport in a similar lay up.
I only paddle on flat water for the moment. I would wait for the V10L upgrade.

More
10 years 8 months ago #17838 by Kennneee
Any idea when the V10L will be in the US? Sounds like might be worth waiting for.

Ken

More
10 years 8 months ago #17849 by outriggerbev
Replied by outriggerbev on topic Old v10 v's new v10
of the guys paddling the new v10-Im keen to hear from the smaller ones in particular(under 90 kgs) what they think.am i going to get more fun as an 80 kg guy out of a downwind run on a v10 or an ses.

More
10 years 8 months ago #17850 by cheeseman
Replied by cheeseman on topic Old v10 v's new v10
I'm 83 kg and paddling a new v10 perf.I paddled a sel before and find the v10 to be more stable and faster .I have a v10 sport ( old model )that I m not paddle anymore because the new v10 is that much better.

More
10 years 8 months ago #17865 by Dicko
Replied by Dicko on topic Old v10 v's new v10
I disagree cheeseman. The difference in boat speed and stability you're experiencing is in fact you.
When you owned the SEL you were 10 kg heavier, unfit and had a dodgy stroke. It was also your first boat.
I suspect the SEL is in fact a faster boat of similar stability. I don't think the cockpit is as comfortable as the v10.
But the biggest improvement in speed that you have gained is that you are a better paddler now than you were 18 months ago.

More
10 years 8 months ago #17867 by wesley
Replied by wesley on topic Old v10 v's new v10
Two of my training partners have new v10 ultras and I have paddled the V10 as well and will be paddling the V10 more to determine the speed difference between the SEI, SEL, V10.No Time trials yet but my sense having spent hundreds of miles in the SEL's is that the SEL is faster than the V10, slightly less stable and the bucket is very, very comfortable on the V10. This is just what Dicko suspected. Having reviewed the SEI a few weeks ago, I think the SEI has comparable speed to the V10. They are very close. I get my personal SEI(blue/orange) on Saturday and look forward to TT against my training partners to tease out which is faster. The color alone looks faster than the white one I have now. I should have one next week at the US surfski champs for guys to demo. The guys in Australia just got their SEI's so more from them also on the SEI. In the winter I will be reviewing the Huki S1-XL. I paddled it a few weeks ago for about 20 minutes.

Wesley Echols
SurfskiRacing.com
#1 in Surfski Reviews.

More
10 years 8 months ago #17892 by outriggerbev
Replied by outriggerbev on topic Old v10 v's new v10
does anyone use the handle at the back --whats it for-shouldnt it be at the front as a tow line

Latest Forum Topics