white tape to finish off bailer installation ?

More
11 years 1 week ago #17743 by 1xsculler
I've installed a new Epic bailer in my Epic ski in place of the Anderson Super mini bailer and all went very well but I need to find a source for the thin white tape to finish off the outside of the hull. NE body know what it is and/or where I can get it?

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 week ago #17753 by Ranga
You can use automotive pin stripe, sticks like mad. It comes in different thicknesses and colors.

More
11 years 1 week ago #17764 by Fuyang Guy
Or just paint it.
Tape the shape you want, paint with 2k or Gel coat and sand it down (wet sand).
Tip: strip off the tape after the paint has dried, and put new tape on before sanding, that way you don't sand the hull, only the new paint

More
11 years 1 week ago #17767 by 1xsculler
Epic just emailed me back and said they do what Fuyang Guy recommended.
What kind of paint is 2k?

More
11 years 1 week ago #17784 by cody91

1xsculler wrote: I've installed a new Epic bailer in my Epic ski in place of the Anderson Super mini bailer and all went very well but I need to find a source for the thin white tape to finish off the outside of the hull. NE body know what it is and/or where I can get it?

I was wondering if that was possible to do. What model of Epic ski did you do this on? Did you have to modify the original hole for the Anderson bailer to make the Epic Bailer fit?

More
11 years 1 week ago #17786 by 1xsculler
I installed it on my V14 as it was one of the early ones that came with the Anderson Super Mini.
Once you remove the black rubber gasket, carefully trim out the old sealer and any epoxy they may have used the new one fits just fine in the original rectangular hole. To make it look original you need to install two additional 5mm x .8 studs (10-32 appears to be almost identical in size) or flat head screws as the new Epic baler uses a total of six bolts/studs whereas the Anderson used only four.
Be sure to get both the thin and slightly thicker new gaskets. My fit was perfect with the thinner one.
I still have to install the two additional bolts/studs, put a little 3M 5200 sealer between the gasket and the hull and between the baler and the gasket, bolt the baler down, inject some modified West's epoxy between the baler and the hull from the bottom of the ski, let it cure, finish everything down smooth and flush with the hull surface, mask and then paint on a couple of coats of white Gelcoat and wet sand that down and polish it.
I really doubt it's worth all the trouble but I figure a V14 should have the new baler.
If I get real ambitious I may install the other new Epic baler on my SES ultra but that will take substantial modification to the cockpit floor and I'm not sure that will be worth it either. I do like DIY projects but there is a limit.
Bailer vs. baler? I don't know. You've got hay baler and cockpit baler.