Action camera mount

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #17641 by stevenp
Action camera mount was created by stevenp
I have been using GoCam which is one of many waterproof action cameras on the market. I have seen great down wind footage from similar cameras on Surf Ski info. I find cameras mounted on the head or chest have good vision but the constant paddle action across the screen spoils the shot.

I tried mounting the camera on the deck in front of my feet, this was OK but a lot of ski don't have a flat surface in that area. Mounted in this location it was turn the camera on and record straight away even if there was poor footage.I also had to stop paddling if I wanted to reach the camera to change the angle.

I recently bought an extension arm which I have mounted to a pool noodle. This raised the field of view and I can now reach the camera and can easily rotate the camera 360 degrees. I cut the noodle slightly longer than the internal width of the ski in the foot well just in front of the rudder pedals. Not being permanently fixed allows me to fold the arm down when not in use. I have attached a safety line to the camera as a backup should this fall out.

I now get great shots from above the deck without the paddle spoiling the action.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #17642 by 1xsculler
Replied by 1xsculler on topic Action camera mount
That's an interesting camera mount. I would think you might want it further away from you to capture your entire stroke but maybe your positioning works well.
I like the Pentax Optio something or other as you can buy a little infrared remote control for it so you can turn it on and off whenever you want to without having to reach for it.

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #17661 by stevenp
Replied by stevenp on topic Action camera mount
I have a wi fi remote but with my particular camera when it is in standby mode it turns off after about 10 minutes. The camera has an infra red beam that operates when record is activated, it stays on for about 10 seconds so I usually like to double check by placing my hand in front of the camera. It is not the best way but it is fool proof.

You are right about the stroke vision but I'm more into good down wind footage without the constant paddle spoiling the action