Interesting (to me anyway) newbie experience

More
11 years 1 month ago #17131 by 1xsculler
Got pretty used to a V12, V14 and SES for about five weeks working up to two 3400m, no roll overs, paddles per day on pretty flat to slightly choppy water. Went to Maui and spent eight days, two, twenty minute sessions per day, at least one in trade wind, washing machine chop on a rented V10 Sport Ultra. I believe the home time on relatively unstable skis helped me a ton in balancing the V10 in conditions I couldn't paddle it in when on Maui six weeks ago.
So, I come home from Maui and hop on my V14 and for a couple of ten or fifteen minute sessions I can't stay on that ski to save my butt. I felt worse than the very first day I tried the V14. It was a little better the next day and today I was back doing my two 3400m pieces with little to no problem and no roll overs.
This makes me think if you take a moderately experienced paddler who can handle a variety of conditions in a very unstable ski and then make him use only a very stable ski, i.e. V8, for a year or two it would take quite a while for him to get used to paddling that very unstable ski again.
Your thoughts?

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.