Painting Skis

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #16979 by 7ender
Painting Skis was created by 7ender
Just bought a secondhand ski, and it has a bunch of cosmetic scratches. Nothing bad, but I like my stuff to look nice so I want to do something about it :)

I was thinking about trying to buff them all out with polishing compound, etc, but then I was struck with the idea of repainting it (or at least the top deck) since I dont' particularly care for the stock color scheme anyways.

I have seen a few but not many painted skis. Do you guys have any opinion on doing this (with respect to resale, durability, weight, appearance)? I was thinking of just using some automotive paint.

If you have any links to anything I might enjoy reading, please feel free to share :)

Thanks!
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by 7ender.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #16983 by Edge540
Replied by Edge540 on topic Re: Painting Skis
7ender,

I did painted my Mako Pro last year with Brigthside INTERLUX marine paint.
It comes with different colors.

www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ser...d0UIA3A#.UaLYVJVuVnY

I diluted it with INTERLUX 333 Brushing liquid at 10%.

www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ser...m=50234#.UaLZUpVuVnY

I used high quality brush.
It takes some practice. Make sure you working on smaller sections.

It came out really nice. I am lowering the seat on the same ski now , so I will be painting it soon after lowering is done.

Here are some pics
Attachments:

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #16984 by 7ender
Replied by 7ender on topic Re: Painting Skis
Wow edge540 (do you fly?), that looks good. Can you tell the difference between it and gelcoat? How did it hold up after a year?

Also, iv'e never seen that stuff before, all you did was brush it on? You didn't have to primer/wetsand/polish or anything to get that finish?
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by 7ender.

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #16988 by Edge540
7ender,
I used to fly large scale RC airplanes and helicopters.

Yes I only used brush. Paint is really tough once it cures. I put two coats on it and it seems enough. More coats you put on tougher it gets... (but also heavier and more costly).

I did not primed it, just sand it down and wiped it with mineral spirits and acetone before painting.

Paint is nice and glossy. More you dilute it less glossy gets. DO NOT dilute more than 10%.
I did try 5% and 10% mixtures and 10% worked better for me. Easier to brush.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Edge540. Reason: typo

More
10 years 10 months ago #16991 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: Painting Skis
On different kayaks and skis I've used gelcoat putty to fill deep scratches or dents and a good matching aerosol can paint, some aerosols are not that great, others are real good, good enough to fill fine scratches and look ok anyway. I've found Dulux Spraypak Quick Dry Interior/Exterior Enamel White Gloss a pretty good match for most of my white hulled sea kayaks and skis. I'm touching up my kayaks often, just sand any good gouges, fill with gelcoat putty if needed, sand and paint, then a fine sand to blend.

Two pot paints for cars or marine use would be even better and more durable probably, but I don't care to spend the time getting to carried away as they usually going to get scratched and need touching up again anyway.

Edge 540's looks pretty good with a brush.

More
10 years 10 months ago #16993 by Marieski
Replied by Marieski on topic Re: Painting Skis

Edge540 wrote: 7ender,
I used to fly large scale RC airplanes and helicopters.

Yes I only used brush. Paint is really tough once it cures. I put two coats on it and it seems enough. More coats you put on tougher it gets... (but also heavier and more costly).

I did not primed it, just sand it down and wiped it with mineral spirits and acetone before painting.

Paint is nice and glossy. More you dilute it less glossy gets. DO NOT dilute more than 10%.
I did try 5% and 10% mixtures and 10% worked better for me. Easier to brush.

I'm sorry I'm ignorant. Roman Catholic airplanes? Royal Commando airplanes?

Fabulous paint job! Is this your first try or do you have a lot of experience painting craft? I can do a reasonable job on a wall, but was a bit too afraid to have a go at my ski.

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #16994 by Edge540
Marieski,

RC airplanes ...Remote Control airplanes :-).

Yes , it was my first try to paint surf ski.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Edge540.

More
10 years 10 months ago #16997 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Re: Painting Skis
Personally I would not bother with an old ski, it just adds weight and not as durable as gel coat. You would not believe how good a ski can come out with some elbow grease and a good cutting compound and polish.

I have had a ski professionally painted and still not a great finish. Just remember if you want a good finish you still have to wetsand and polish the surface anyway after painting, especially if you want to get rid of scratches.

As for resale, I would not touch a repainted ski.

Latest Forum Topics