Paddles for low angle paddling.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #16632 by Newbflat
Is there a type of wing that works better at a low angle style of paddling vs a high angle?
I'm beginning to experience some sholder issues and my trying to bring my angle down but I'm finding the catch a little difficult. This could well be just technique adjustments but I'm curious about paddle styles and there low angle habits.

ps: I'm using a ONNO small/ mid at 208cm.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Newbflat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #16634 by Kayaker Greg
I think you would be better off to get your paddle technique looked at if you are getting sore shoulders. I'm thinking you might be one of those paddlers that tracks the paddle out from the catch? I've used greenland paddles which are extreme low angle paddling and developed shoulder issues with that style of paddling, using a high angle and pulling the paddle along the side of the ski before tracking out as the power comes off may help you.

Other thing that comes to mind, despite not using the greenland paddle much since about 3 years ago, I always still had a slight niggle in the shoulder since, nothing serious but it was there. A few weeks ago as I switched into my off season I went to my Osteopath who straight away picked my top rib bones on both sides were out of alignment. He manipulated them back into place and all shoulder niggles have gone and as an added bonus my rotation has improved with everything being in correct alignment and paddling is flowing like never before. So perhaps a visit to an Osteopath could be worth a trip.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
11 years 2 months ago #16635 by Newbflat
That could be true. I have been padldling again after 5 months off with a back injury. For the last 2 months I have been paddling 5+ days a week. Most are 6-8 mile moderately aggressive sessions as I build my base back. I went for a "long slow" last week that in reality for me was a long not so slow and my shoulders were very tired afterwords. My upper traps were soar and almost to the point of cramping. For the last 5 days my sholders have been sore. It's true that I have been playing with my catch and my blade has been tracking earlier in the stroke. I was going with it as my power has been up. I have not had any sholder issues befor my "long not so slow" ..

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)