stability questions

More
11 years 2 months ago #16607 by 1xsculler
Will paddling a very stable V8 class of ski in heavy side wind chop and boat wakes from the side ever make it easier to paddle an elite ski in those conditions? The V8 seems to require no effort to stabilize it and paddling that type of ski doesn't seem to me would ever make it easier to handle rougher conditions in an elite ski that requires a lot of effort to stabilize.
Will becoming pretty proficient with a decent forward stroke in an elite ski, i.e. V12 Ultra, SES Excel, in pretty flat conditions ever improve your ability to handle the above heavier conditions?

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #16610 by Kayaker Greg
I have not paddled a V8 but if it requires no effort to stabilise I doubt its going to prepare you for paddling an elite ski in similar conditions.

Now I have 3 skis of different stability levels. SES, SEL and a Swordfish. The SES is my everyday ski for where I paddle, it can get choppy but nothing I can't handle in that ski. A year ago it was different and why I got the SEL. When it gets really tricky with lots of current, lumpy and messy I paddle my Swordfish. Paddling both in differing conditions feels like it helps the other.
Yesterday I took my SES out into conditions where I would normally paddle my SEL which is between the SES and Swordfish for stability. The SEL was my ski of choice when I was 83kg, now I'm 72kg and dropping it feels very corky in the chop and lump. I paddled my SES in conditions where a year ago I would have been struggling and bracing constantly and was actually very comfortable paddling around for two hours, probably more so than in my SEL now that I have lost the weight. I was a little tense at first but after a half hour relaxed. Paddling the Swordfish in worse conditions has helped me paddle the SES in conditions where I used to struggle. The Swordfish on the other hand feels almost like a sea kayak for me in most conditions now, very comfortable.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
11 years 2 months ago #16620 by foundwood
Replied by foundwood on topic Re: stability questions
I have to weigh in on this one. I own a V12 and a V8 and paddling the V8 will not prepare you for the instability of an elite level surf ski. A V8 is great for learning surfing techniques and enjoying the ocean in nasty conditions. Unless you possess uncanny balance, I cannot suggest that you attempt to paddle a V12 offshore. I loaned my V12 to a paddler who has been paddling a V10 for 4 years in extremely challenging conditions and he could not stay upright. I have been paddling skis for 20 years and the V12 is too much for me to handle in the ocean. I am about to turn 53 in a couple of weeks and I am going to buy a new v10 Ultra.

Please don't think that I am being critical in any way. I am only being honest: nothing will prepare you like experiencing it for yourself in a variety of conditions. You must be able to remount in any circumstance.

More
11 years 2 months ago #16621 by 1xsculler
Replied by 1xsculler on topic Re: stability questions
These responses are very helpful. Thank you. I had no idea there was that much difference between the V10 and V12. I paddled a V10 Sport Ultra on Maui and that seemed to be much more stable than my V12 ultra but side wind chop was still challenging.
Greg, Which lay-ups are the SES, SEL and Swordfish?
Again, thanks for the responses.

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

More
11 years 2 months ago #16622 by Kayaker Greg
SES and SEL Excell 11kg and 11.5kg, Swordfish Vacuum Carbon 11-11.5kg.