More stable ski for older paddlers?

More
11 years 2 months ago #16569 by 1xsculler
I read on a website that older paddlers require more stable skis due to reduced reaction time and other aging factors. Do you feel this is true for a fit person who gets on the water every day?

current skis: SES Ultra. sculling boats: Fluidesign Lwt, Wintech, Empacher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #16570 by YBA/Jim Murray
Sad to say that is true. You may not "require" a more stable ski but it is much more comfortable.
A person can maintain, and even improve certain physical characteristics. Recovery from training and injury is slower so keen attention needs to be paid to training volume and intensity-and activity balance.
There is quite a bit of specific information available to senior and master athletes.
I hope I didn't get off topic here.
Jim

More
11 years 2 months ago #16571 by Kocho
One of the tests to measure "true" age is to stand on your non-dominant leg with eyes closed. Younger people are expected to last longer before they fall. So, yes, balance negatively affected by age. I am not sure how that test translates to the fast and shorter-term reactions needed to balance a ski though...

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #16572 by Kayaker Greg
I wonder if its more to do with core strength than balance. I have had very good balance all my life and being involved in martial arts, moto x and off road motor cycles, MTB, horse riding, surfing and I've never struggled with balance issues in any of these. The difference is getting into paddling skis at an older age, less fit to start with and being off the legs and having them out in front is a whole different dynamic, requiring more core strength than the other sports without the assistance of the legs to micro adjust.
As I've gotten fitter, lost weight and worked on improving the core strength stability is no where near the issue it was when I started, so is it core strength rather than balance? Probably a combination but I'm leaning towards it being more of a core strength development than a balance issue, in my situation anyway.
I've also noted that as I've lost weight rotation has come much easier, which in turn has improved my core strength as I focus on getting that full rotation and everything is getting easier. Yes, paddling is good for you. :cheer:
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #16575 by Newbflat
Replied by Newbflat on topic Balance test
In response to the balance test with your eyes closed.

As a 48 year old mail who has been doing just this as part of PT, you can get much better at this with practis. It's a poor test of age related balance issues.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Newbflat.

More
11 years 2 months ago #16576 by nell
I believe balance has much to do with age (gets somewhat worse as we get older), seated height, and waist circumference. Individual differences (like VO2), probably play a role, too, but they're probably minor.

Younger people have core balance / proprioception that's more "plastic" and they are therefore better able to quickly adapt and improve compared older folks. Neural patterns learned when younger will be more solid, too, so if you learn K1 as a kid, you'll pick it up much more quickly as an adult if you took 30 yrs off.

While it can be difficult for adults or elders to learn new balance in something like kayaks, it's not impossible. It just takes more time the older we are and requires a more frequent stressor like paddling 5-10 x per week while continually "raising the bar" be it in seat height, getting on rougher waters, paddling with eyes closed for short periods of time (or at night), etc.

Having a "generous" waistline hinders the remainder of the body from being able to correct the subtle changes in balancing (try paddling with a bowling ball in your lap or 3 liters of fluid on your back - it's not easy. Once it starts to go, your head and shoulders and spine can't stop it). I don't think that core strength has much to do with being able to balance a ski because balance is a specific neuromuscular adaptation that doesn't have to do with strength or fitness.

1xsculler, it sounds like you're doing well in your progression with your frequent and many outings in the ski particularly if you've already progressed up to a V12.

More
11 years 2 months ago #16594 by Ranga
This is not rocket science. As we get older our reflexes get slower. Ask any racing driver, your reflexes are not as they were when you were younger. Balance is part of this. Also the rate you paddle at is also related to stability, the slower the rating the more it is affected.

More
11 years 2 months ago #16599 by TaffyMick
Agree with Ranga that the reflexes get slower as you get older.

I draw a comparison with a lifetime of motorcycling. In my younger years craved the fastest and most powerful road bike I could afford. Spent a couple of years racing to get it (the need for speed) out of my system. As I got older I evolved from sports bikes to sports tourers, to tourers and now to cruisers (Harley Road King). Why?... because my reflexes are no longer as quick and I have grown out of sliding around corners on knee pads. :woohoo:

Now, I am relatively new to surf skis (ok... I used to paddle skis in the local SLC back in the day which are a bit different to today's offerings ;)) Having come from an SOT and Sea Kayak background, I tried a number of skis in the past 12 months, some that were supposed to be stable. Stable for who? some 20 something with a body of Adonis? Spent more time in the water than on top.

Steered away from the "beginners" skis as I was damned if I was going to fork out the same dollars for an entry level ski as an Intermediate/Advanced boat. Wrong... big mistake! Took a well-known entry level ski for a paddle (V8) and was impressed with it's stability. Shopped around and tried the Fenn Blue Fin. Fell in love with the thing... stable as and a bit faster than the opposition.

Ok... I am not going to win races on this but I am going to be able to keep up with the longer, skinnier boats in a non-race environment and not be troubled by boat wash, rebound off rocks or cross chop/swell. At 57 and with the wisdom of those years I realised that stability and comfort are what I am looking for so that I can enjoy paddling for as long as I can.

Looking at the offerings coming out from the manufacturers over the last 12 months I believe they too have realised the massive untapped market of more mature paddlers transitioning from kayaks/sea kayaks that want to be able jump into a ski and paddle away without worrying about balance. And that to me is a good thing.

Stellar SEI, Fenn Bluefin S, Sladecraft Comet Long Rec & Vajda K1

More
11 years 2 months ago #16600 by AR_convert
Ranga whipped my butt paddling a V8 :blush: There is definately something to be said for stability and experience in downwind conditions, at least he's got the balls to admit when he's not up to the elite skis ( I think he's usually in a V10 sport) and I bet he gets a buzz beating most of the field on supposedly quicker skis :laugh:

Always looking for the next boat :)