Black Knight surfskis

• GSPT
  • Level 2 Personal Trainer and surf coach
More
10 years 10 months ago #16534 by GSPT
Black Knight surfskis was created by GSPT
The first three Black Knight surf skis have arrived in Sydney. They'll be going to Cairns, Melbourne and Perth (where I'll be testing a carbon model) hopefully next week. The Black Knight is an original design from ex-South African Mangala Munsami, with help from SA legend Tony Scott, Mangala runs Mango Racing. Nothing on the web site (mangoracing.com) yet, as they are test skis.

Greg Smith
Level 2 PT and surf coach
Paddling Technician
S.Africa marathon 79, 81, 83

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #16546 by AR_convert
Surfski or Ocean ski?

Always looking for the next boat :)

• GSPT
More
10 years 10 months ago #16562 by GSPT
Replied by GSPT on topic Re: Black Knight surfskis
It's a long surf ski (i.e., an ocean ski).

Greg Smith
Paddling Technician

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #16565 by AR_convert
Only asked because I couldn't see any other ocean ski's on the Mango site and wondered if it was another surfski or he had moved into Ocean skis.

Great to have yet another choice.

I'd love to take a look and have a paddle if there's an opportunity, also quite happy to write up a review for this site if not already planned.

Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by AR_convert.

• GSPT
More
10 years 10 months ago #16566 by GSPT
Demo days will be held for sure (after I give it a thorough test, of course). You'll be most welcome, so watch this spot. Hoping to have it by the end of the week, though it's taken many months to come to this stage, so another week or so is no problem (and it is off-season). I can say is that it's made by one of China's leading rowing scull manufacturers, so I believe the quality will be there.

Greg Smith
Paddling Technician

More
10 years 10 months ago #16580 by mickeyA
Replied by mickeyA on topic Re: Black Knight surfskis
AR convert, What is the difference in surfski and ocean ski? "Sea kayak", I get, but "ocean ski" is a surfski, or so I thought. It sounds like GSPT thinks they are one in the same as well. I'm certainly not an expert at all, just asking and willing to learn.

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
10 years 10 months ago #16581 by partymarty
Cairns?? no-one paddles ski's up here.

• GSPT
More
10 years 10 months ago #16583 by GSPT
They do now

Greg Smith
Paddling Technician

• GSPT
More
10 years 10 months ago #16584 by GSPT
It's all semantics. I've paddled for 35 years (all in surf clubs) so to me they're all surf skis. The term ocean ski is a recent term, given to the longer surf skis. Guess it depends what "school" you came from.

Greg Smith
Paddling Technician

More
10 years 10 months ago #16590 by AR_convert

mickeyA wrote: AR convert, What is the difference in surfski and ocean ski? "Sea kayak", I get, but "ocean ski" is a surfski, or so I thought. It sounds like GSPT thinks they are one in the same as well. I'm certainly not an expert at all, just asking and willing to learn.

The term Ocean ski just helps in making the distinction between a "Spec ski" that is designed to go through surf and the ocean ski that while many take through surf are really designed for the open ocean with much greater length and most often lighter built than the "spec" surfski which at a regulated 18kg is designed to be in the bash and crash of waves all day. If you see a duck bill on the front it's generally referred to as a spec or surfski.

More
10 years 10 months ago #16615 by chucktheskiffie
Probably the best feature on this ski is that you will never get injured...

More
10 years 10 months ago #16616 by partymarty

GSPT wrote: They do now

I'll believe it when I see them on the water.

• GSPT
More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #16732 by GSPT
Ok, here's the first pictures of the world's newest oceanski, the Black Knight. These two models were tested by a small group of 15 paddlers in Sydney yesterday (Sat 11th) to positive review. One chap got his speed up to 15kph, I'm told by the co-desinger and maker of the ski, Mangala "Mango" Munsami. The red is a 15kg fibreglass layup, while the pink (now gone to Cairns) is a kevlar layup at 12kg. The other model (orange carbon, 9kg) is bound to me in Perth, but somehow is stuck in Canberra (good one, QANTAS). If you want further details, contact Mango via his website, Mango Racing ). If you're in Perth, it might be ready for a showing next Sunday. Oh, yes. The prices are $2500 for the glass, and $3900 for the carbon. I'm not sure about the kevlar.

Greg Smith
Paddling Technician
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by GSPT.

More
10 years 10 months ago #16734 by AR_convert
Look forward to seeing the ski in Perth. The photos make it hard to get a good idea of it's proportions. The photo of the pink ski on the chairs makes the bucket look like its a long way back in the ski. Will it be at the paddle challenge?

More
10 years 10 months ago #16739 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Re: Black Knight surfskis
Good luck with Qantas, I doubt it will come in one piece! It takes a few days for road freight from Sydney.

• GSPT
More
10 years 10 months ago #16743 by GSPT
The ski could be there, depending on it's arrival this week (and the condition it arrives in). You won't miss it, because it's all orange.

Greg Smith
Paddling Technician

More
10 years 10 months ago #16752 by Ranga
Replied by Ranga on topic Re: Black Knight surfskis
Naturally they sent some gel coat along with the ski so repairs can be done properly! being orange.

• GSPT
More
10 years 10 months ago #16769 by GSPT
Ranga, BYO gel coat. And yes, you were right about QANTAS. Some hull damage. But got boat out for a little while on the Swan. Weighs in at 8.6kg and runs like a K1. Hoping to have it at Sunday's race from Ascot.

Greg Smith
Paddling Technician
Attachments:

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #16771 by AR_convert

GSPT wrote: Weighs in at 8.6kg and runs like a K1. Hoping to have it at Sunday's race from Ascot.

Sure you don't mean Bayswater? www.wa.canoe.org.au/default.asp?Page=109...=Events/c13288/10600

Much better photos, looks very fast :woohoo: Would love to have a paddle in it.

EDIT: Having a closer look at the photos and your video it looks like it would be quick off the mark but the rocker would see it faster as a downwind ski rather than a flatwater ski. I guess the proof will be in the paddling of one. One things for sure there's no excuse for the weight of the thing. I lifted a 9kg Carbonology Atom once and was shocked, this is a bigger ski again and lighter!

Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by AR_convert.

• steve_dawson
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #16774 by steve_dawson
Replied by steve_dawson on topic Re: Black Knight surfskis
I test paddled the red demo ski in Sydney on Saturday. It certainly has the potential to be fast. I got it to 14.5k within a minute or so of getting into it and think I could probably wring an extra k out of it with some position adjustment and time in the boat.

Jumping in for the first time, the seat is low and open, and should make for an easy remount. There's plenty of legroom and foot space in the bucket. The footplate was easy to adjust and had no play in the lock mechanism.

The BlackKnight has a fair amount of rocker along the keel line. Combined with a high seat position, I found the ski had quite low primary stability. Not a bad thing, just took a minute to adapt to.

A friend standing on the beach commented that both the stern and bow were clear of the water, so perhaps my weight, at 85kg, wasn't enough to engage the full waterline of the boat. According to Mango, this is part of the design to make the ski respond better in sea conditions.

It would be worth trying on a following sea. It felt lively and responsive to the rudder, turning from the middle rather than skidding the tail like some other skis.

The ski looks to be well finished and the equipment was solid. The vivid gelcoat colour is certainly eye catching.

My only negative from the test paddle, and it's a very personal perspective, was that the shape of the seat didn't suit my bum shape. I'm a distance paddler, so seat comfort is my number one criteria.

Latest Forum Topics