scuppers

More
11 years 3 months ago #16337 by nell
scuppers was created by nell
I've got an old Fenn millenium that I use as my downriver racing ski, in the rare event that I find mysef racing in one. A friend modified the footwell so that it's a single well and sealed up the original two scuppers and created a single one in the center. But, the new scupper doesn't drain at all.

Does anyone know, or can anyone point me to where I can get info on what requirements a scupper/venturi needs to work, i.e. hole size, hole location underneath the hood, hood size, etc.
Thanks, Erik Borgnes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #16340 by 7ender
Replied by 7ender on topic Re: scuppers
Sorry this isn't much help, but i'd like to know the same thing.

Have you seen this thread?
www.surfski.info/forum/19-boats/3720-venturi-size.html

More
11 years 3 months ago #16342 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re: scuppers
Thanks, I had not seen that one. It seems that old milleniums never die, do they?

However, after more research, I think the size of the drain hole might be where the problem is. My millenium's looks to be about 10-15 mm diameter. I saw on another thread that the Red7 drain holes were 22 mm diameter and worked quite well - so that might be the first thing to change.

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #16343 by 7ender
Replied by 7ender on topic Re: scuppers
Really hate to bring the thread off topic, but if you don't mind me asking, how do you like the single footwell as opposed to the double in the millenium? (besides the venturi problem)

Iv'e seen a few people do it now and am heavily considering doing it to mine. Haven't seen much in terms of performance/stability difference though. How's the construction/do you happen to have any pics?
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by 7ender.

More
11 years 3 months ago #16344 by nell
Replied by nell on topic Re: scuppers
Mine is a carbon model from about 2000. My conversion was done by a good fabricator but the end result isn't really all that much of an improvement over the original double footwell. The under-knee hump was left too high and the footwell area is way too voluminous. Plus, the uncomfortable seat was left as-is so it still makes you want to slouch a bit. However, I haven't spent more than an hour in it - but it was so disappointing that I purchased a new ski to replace it.

I suspect that if you can replace the whole cockpit with a new cockpit mold like an Epic or Think, then it might be an ok ski to have as a backup or beater ski. But the new skis are so much better in ergonomics that it's really difficult to spend any time at all in the millenium bucket - and it really makes you appreciate how nice the current crop of top end skis are now.