awesome piece of safety equipment

More
11 years 4 months ago #14818 by water2deep
I was flicking through a local dive mag today and saw the add for this radio

its water proof to over 100m (divers can use it) , it has a built in gps so you can radio out your position and if you have more than one you can use it as a uhf radio as well ( i think) and looks pretty small.

this is the website www.nautiluslifeline.com/

and i found this vid to .

I just cant find out what wattage it has ?

worth considering ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16293 by cjborg
Thanks for the post! I've been waffling over a SPOT versus an EPIRB device, but the Nautilus might better than either.

The advantage of the SPOT is that you have some ability to communicate with folks on land, but the emergency beacon may not be as reliable as an EPIRB. The EPIRB is very reliable for calling emergency responders but has no ability to communicate with others who just need to know you are OK, or your location.

I've emailed the manufacturer of Nautilus to find out whether two Nautilus devices can communicate with one another and to find out exactly how the GPS emergency alert works. The ability for two paddlers to communicate in case they get separated could save some serious confusion and angst. -Will post their reply when I receive it.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by cjborg.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16295 by Kayaker Greg
To answer your question Cyborg any VHF radio can communicate with another VHF radio within line of sight. That appears to be basically a VHF radio that you can dive with, little info on what actually happens when you press the red button, does it alert SAR as a PLB does?

Handheld waterproof VHF radios are available for us paddlers and I take one when paddling solo for any great distant off shore, I also have a PLB (personal locator beacon, not an EPIRB, just correcting the above post, an EPIRB is attached to your boat and will go off when wet, to big and impractical for a ski).

Personally I think a PLB is a much better device to carry than a SPOT which I have seen many many cases of them being unreliable, has a yearly subscription fee, is not directly connected to your SAR service, you can do you own research on these, its been discussed before.

Or read more on the differences here.

desertexplorer.wordpress.com/2009/11/10/...beacons/#comment-221
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16301 by cjborg
Thanks for the correction Greg; I meant PLB - I've been incorrectly using the terms interchangeably. Thanks also for your thoughts on the SPOT. That's exactly been my reservation from the research I've done. Some folks swear by them; others have had "spotty" service.

I'll post what the Nautilus manufacturer replies about the red button, however, their website says nothing about SARSAT. It sounds as if the red button broadcasts your GPS location on the emergency VHS channel, but that doesn't sound like the same thing as contacting SARSAT.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by cjborg. Reason: more specificity needed

More
10 years 11 months ago #16438 by Kayaker Greg

More
10 years 11 months ago #16444 by dazski
Hey greg what brand is your PLB and where did you get it??
Cheers Daz

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16447 by Kayaker Greg
I use the McMurdo Fastfind Max G PLB

www.mcmurdomarine.com/en/products/plb/fastfind-max-g
Not the smallest, but has one of the longest lasting and more powerful battery than some of the others.

I got mine from Smart Marine, 123 Beaumont stree, Auckland, New Zealand.
www.smartmarine.co.nz/products/safety/epirbs-plb-s/

They don't seem to have this one listed any longer however, but you probably not in NZ anyway?
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16451 by dazski
Thanks.. im in Australia will do a bit more homework and see what we have locally.
cheers

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16459 by cjborg

cjborg wrote: I'll post what the Nautilus manufacturer replies about the red button, however, their website says nothing about SARSAT. It sounds as if the red button broadcasts your GPS location on the emergency VHS channel, but that doesn't sound like the same thing as contacting SARSAT.

My earlier info is correct: Nautilus replied:

"The Lifeline does not contact SARSAT, it sends a DSC distress signal over a 4000 square mile radius which will be received by anyone with a VHF w/DSC radio."
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by cjborg.

Latest Forum Topics