Where was Stellar in Hong Kong ??

More
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #14395 by drjay9051
First off: this is not a flame against Stellar. As I mentioned if I fit in a Stellar and liked the ride I would not hesitate to buy one !

However in looking at the Dragon run results I see no mention of Stellar in the results.

www.surfski.info/races/asia/item/1465-20...aomi-flood-wins.html

There is mention of "other" in 16th,30th and 49th place.

I just wonder why I see no Stellar as clearly the skis are well thought of on this forum and seem to be paddled by some experienced paddlers ?

Anybody know if any Stellar skis were entered?

Same question regarding the new Epic V14. I thought a couple were in the race but don't see them in the results? I believe Matt Bouman was to have paddled the V14 but I see he paddled a V12. Any idea about the V14?
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by drjay9051.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14397 by antonsa
I think there are errors in the craft paddled. Hank was on a Fenn not an Epic. It looks like Matt is on a V14 and I am sure Grant would have also been on one.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14398 by drjay9051
I had thought a couple of V 14 were in the mix. I suppose errors in posting results ?

More
11 years 4 months ago #14399 by postal256
errors in results. V14 in 2nd, 4th, 8th (as well as top local paddler time, I think).

More
11 years 4 months ago #14401 by [email protected]
Hmm... Didn't notice that.

v14s were paddled by:

Grant vd Walt
Cory Hill
Matt Bouman
Rene Appel (1st HK paddler)

Hank was on Fenn Elite SL
Dawid was on Fenn Elite

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
11 years 4 months ago #14406 by Dicko
I think with the big races, a large number of paddlers from elsewhere come in and hire skis. So Fenn, Epic and Think will bring in a container of skis. My guess is Stellar didn't. I guess it depends on demand.
I can tell you though, that in the largest adventure race in the world, The Ananconda Augusta, 800 odd skis of varying shapes and sizes, a Stellar of some description was paddled to the fastest time.
I know this, cos I thought I was doing nicely and it went past me like I was standing still.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14409 by AR_convert
I don't read anything into who paddles what in these big races, as Dicko said, only the big brands can afford to send containers of ski's for paddlers to hire, the top paddlers are paddling a particular ski because the ski is supplied for them.

I know of Perth paddlers attending various world cup events paddling a ski other than what they would choose to paddle because it wasn't available at the event.

I'm also with Dicko on taking a look at your local events, where real world paddlers buy and race their own ski's. You will see a much better mix of ski's. Although there will be a smattering of ski's supplied to the top paddlers for these events too.

I love talking to owners of various skis at these big races to get impressions on them.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
11 years 4 months ago #14410 by Dicko
I always wake up at 5am and walk up and down the beach checking out the 800 skis lined up on the beach. Great sight. The top 10 is an interesting mix. The results are a bit confused but from what I can gather there was a Stellar, what model I am not sure, a couple of Flash's, AR included, an Atom, a couple of Fenn elites and the rest I couldn't figure.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14411 by drjay9051
Dicko:

Never thought about the transportation issue. Good point.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14413 by Dicko
The best thing about these container loads of boats is that after the race you can get a slightly used boat at a reduced price. You just need to check with your local dealer.

More
11 years 4 months ago #14415 by AR_convert

Dicko wrote: The best thing about these container loads of boats is that after the race you can get a slightly used boat at a reduced price. You just need to check with your local dealer.

You can probably credit a good percentage of the Swordfish ski's in Perth as being ex Doctor hire ski's.

Always looking for the next boat :)

Latest Forum Topics