GPS

• jamesb
  • Visitor
11 years 6 months ago #13540 by jamesb
GPS was created by jamesb
Looking at GPS options and some advice from others. I paddle river and ocean in Central Queensland and not sure of the traditional wrist version....any thoughts. Have been reading your writings for several months now and enjoy the forum. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13541 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: GPS
Garmin, simple.

Unbeatable backup.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 6 months ago #13544 by Kestrel
Replied by Kestrel on topic Re: GPS
Opinions from everyone, please: What is your preferred model#, and mounting system?

More
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #13545 by Rightarmbad
The 310XT is now superseded by the 910XT and can be had for good discounts.

Both these models offer suitable water proofing for surfski as well as many features that are usable for racing and training.

I use a quick release mount strapped to my footstraps that is captive in case for some reason one end of the mounting fails.

The quick release allows me to move it from boat to boat as well throw it on my MTB.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by Rightarmbad.

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
11 years 6 months ago #13557 by Rod Thomas
Replied by Rod Thomas on topic Re: GPS
It depends what you want it for. If you want a heart rate monitor and navigator go for a Garmin or similar.
For me, and I'm a beginner on a budget, I use a iPhone + Aquapac + MotionX + piece of tissue paper. iPhone is my regular phone and the Aquapac is amazing piece of kit for £16.
It means I only have one gadget to worry about and by the time I get home the gpx/kmz files will be sitting in my inbox showing my track and how disappointingly slow has been my performance.
It has a navigation function but it is difficult to read in daylight and I'd have to stop paddling and stare at it. I dont race, go out of sight of land or paddle in the fog so navigation is not an issue.
Once you have the gpx/kmz files you can use a lot of online resources to process them.
MotionX works in the background so I have the Phone app with the Japanese coastguard emergency number as the first screen.
(the tissue paper is to absorb the couple of drops of condensation from the phone which is normally in my ultra-humid pocket)
Hope this helps, Rod

More
11 years 6 months ago #13558 by Drapes
Replied by Drapes on topic Re: GPS
My advice would be not to get anything that isnt waterproof to 50m unless you want to use an aqua pack. I've killed a couple of units that claimed water resistance to 0.5m for up to 30 minutes.

I now have a Timex Ironman Global Trainer which I chose over the Garmin simply because I could get a brand new one on Ebay from America for under $160.00. It does everything the Garmins will do except wireless data transfer and comes with a rubber mounting collar intended for bike handlebars that will also work on a footstrap. Downside - if you import from America there is no manufacturers warranty.

• jamesb
  • Visitor
11 years 6 months ago #13571 by jamesb
Replied by jamesb on topic Re: GPS
Thanks.....910XT in an aqua pack mounted on the foot straps sounds like the go for me.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13572 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: GPS
Dont need a bag for the Garmin 910 or 310XT, they are waterproof. Unless you've got money to burn the 310XT is still a great unit, the 910 doesnt offer a whole lot more for paddlers.

It has good battery life, easy to learn to use and good display size as well as options on what info to show on the display.

If you affix the watch through the footstrap velcro it doesnt matter if one end of the footstrap breaks, the watch in affixed to the footstrap secured by velcro.

You can buy an aftermarket bike mount quite cheap on ebay.

When I lost my last watch I tried using iphone apps but they are just not accurate enough for real time info I use when training.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
11 years 6 months ago #13575 by Rightarmbad
310XT would simply be the most popular one in use today on surfskis.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13577 by drjay9051
Replied by drjay9051 on topic Re: GPS
I am considering getting a Garmin 310. Right now I use an older E Trex Legend. Not a wrist unit. It gives me basics like total distance, time, speed. It does not allow for mapping. Does anybody know if the 310 allows for me to map my course for viewing later. To be clear on this: i mean being able to view a course line on something like Google Earth. I am paddling in a huge bay with many islands and I'd like to actually overlay my paddling course onto a satellite image of the bay to see where I have been.

What programs are available for this that are compatible with Mac?

More
11 years 6 months ago #13579 by drjay9051
Replied by drjay9051 on topic Re: GPS
Just found Garmin Connect. Looks like this may be what I need to map. Not sure, but looking into it.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13582 by fredrik
Replied by fredrik on topic Re: GPS
The Garmin 310/910 will do exactly this. The download to Garmin Connect starts automatically when the last workout is reset and unit placed within, say 0-30 ft of your PC/Mac - without a touch of any buttons (assumes you have installed their wireless Garmin ANT Agent, which comes with the unit).

More
11 years 6 months ago #13583 by Geofff
Replied by Geofff on topic Re: GPS
For my mind the 310xt is great. I've had mine for about 2 years and haven't had any issues and while the 910 does provide a few more options, the 310 meets all my needs. For once I don't have an overwhelming 'need' for the latest gadget.

Not sure of the battery life of some of the alternative models around (ie timex), however unless you are doing some serious endurance paddling the battery life on the 310 will be very sufficient.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13597 by GlenRusky
Replied by GlenRusky on topic Re: GPS
My eTrex legend died so I was in a similar boat to drjay. After posting here and reading some external reviews I went for the Garmin 310XT + HRM. I could not see any additional value in spending more money on the 910XT from a paddler’s point of view. If I was a triathlete, yeah maybe, but not for paddling! The 310XT pretty much goes from my paddling bag to the foot strap on my ski, does its job, goes into a bucket of fresh water, then it’s over to my computer and back into my paddling bag! It gives me all the information that I require such as 1km splits, speed, distance, navigation, heart rate etc.
If you want a stylish wristwatch that you can wear regularly that has all the features of the GPS, then you may even wish to look into the more expensive Suunto Ambit. Very nice!
Earlier post with additioanl links: www.surfski.info/forum/17-equipment/1155...-310xt-v-910-xt.html

Current Ski: Nelo 550 ML (4 WWR)
Previous Skis: Fenn Spark - carbon, Vajda Hawx elite, Fenn Swordfish - carbon, Fenn Elite - carbon

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #13599 by Rod Thomas
Another good feature about MotionX on the iPhone is that it automatically sends live updates showing your position on a map. It's a handy safety feature for solo paddlers in case you are overdue. I set my Mac up with it before I leave so my wife can see where I am.
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by Rod Thomas.

More
11 years 6 months ago #13600 by Kayaker Greg
Replied by Kayaker Greg on topic Re: GPS

Rod Thomas wrote: I set my Mac up with it before I leave so my wife can see where I am.

Not sure if thats a good thing.

• Rod Thomas
  • Visitor
11 years 6 months ago #13601 by Rod Thomas

Kayaker Greg wrote:

Rod Thomas wrote: I set my Mac up with it before I leave so my wife can see where I am.

Not sure if thats a good thing.

I knew someone would say that... and it was you!

More
11 years 5 months ago #13940 by Midlifecrisis
Replied by Midlifecrisis on topic Re: GPS
Has anyone tried the Suunto Ambit for paddling ? I have been using a Garmin Edge 200 which is water resistant but after 8 months of paddling it is starting to get temperamental.

The Garmin 310/910xt seem to be the popular choice here, but the local running shop has suggested that he has had to return lots of Garmin and is recommending the Ambit.

More
11 years 5 months ago #13942 by Rightarmbad
The only reason there may be heaps of Garmin returns is that there are so many of them out there.

No problem really as this company is one that truly stands by it's product.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Hiro

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #13944 by ilcentaurorosso
Replied by ilcentaurorosso on topic Re: GPS

Midlifecrisis wrote: Has anyone tried the Suunto Ambit for paddling ? I have been using a Garmin Edge 200 which is water resistant but after 8 months of paddling it is starting to get temperamental.

The Garmin 310/910xt seem to be the popular choice here, but the local running shop has suggested that he has had to return lots of Garmin and is recommending the Ambit.

I use a Garmin Edge 800 within Aquapac waterproof bag.
(I use it for MTB too). I think an Edge 200 (in trasparent waterproof bag) should be a good idea. In both cases you have a BIG display (easy to read).
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by ilcentaurorosso.

Latest Forum Topics