Fenn Swordfish vacuum glass update ?

More
11 years 7 months ago #12807 by texas
I'am interested in getting the Swordfish , but after reading the blogs here , I'am a little hesitant . Several people stated there concerns about it's fragile build , but these were blogs 6 months or older . Does anyone have current info on the vacuum glass status , were concerns unwarranted , how is the layup holding up .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #12811 by mancapbol
I have a vacuum glass swordfish since April. Four paddles a week, some weeks seven. I'm really happy with the ski, and the ski looks like the first day.
Great boat.

More
11 years 7 months ago #12818 by Warwick
I think you need to take the local conditions into consideration. Here in Durban, we can experience some hectic surf and shorebreak, I have personally seen 2 glass vacuum swordfish skis break in the shorebreak where the other boats help up fine.

If your conditions are generally calm or sheltered, I would say the Swordfish is perfect. If you are hard on your boat, or experience tough local conditions, I would think twice.

But that's just my opinion.

More
11 years 7 months ago #12821 by texas
Which boats are getting through the surf without damage where the vacuum glass Swordfish is breaking ?

More
11 years 7 months ago #12826 by Marieski
Had my vacuum glass Swordy 9 months. It doesn't experience much in the way of big shore break but regularly gets a lot of upwind chop whacking. So far so good. No signs of softening or other structural change.

The gelcoat is a bit thin and has been chipped and worn from what I would consider minor abrasion on the car roof and in boathouse. More so than the Stellar (advantage layup) or V10 (performance).

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

More
11 years 7 months ago #12827 by Marieski
Btw, I wouldn't buy a Swordy if I were only going to paddle it in calm or sheltered waters. It's not what it's good at.

Past skis: Spirit PRS, EpicV10Sport Performance, Epic V10 Elite, Stellar SES Advantage. Current skis: Fenn Elite Spark, Fenn Swordfish vacuum. Custom Horizon, Epic V7

More
11 years 7 months ago #12840 by MaxB
I reluctantly bought my new Swordfish 9mths ago too. I say reluctantly, because I too read all the commentary around at the time, and my own assessment was that not so much the build quality, but the assembly, looked sloppy compared to competitive products. It just felt so much better to paddle than anything else on the shortlist (V10 Sport & Vault), so I weighed up the pros & cons, and went with it.

It's been used twice a week average since purchase, and no structural issues whatsoever to date. I've come to accept the misaligned deck fittings and crooked decals now, and they don't trouble me so much anymore. Although every now and then I glance down at the left rudder cable port in the cockpit, note (again) that it's a good inch forward of the one on the right, and wonder what else the guy in the factory who didn't use a tape measure in the factory couldn't be bothered doing when he/she was building my boat....

More
11 years 7 months ago #12894 by Joseph
G'Day,

been useing one for 6/7 months in 2012 two days a week on and off small beach break 2/4ft for the most part but surfing and doing runs, going to weather and a lot of beam sea stuff in 2/5 ft, no problem at all a nice I beleave Surf Ski if used right, any and all ski's will blow up or crack in 3 to 6' surf beach break or bounceing off a sandy bottom in 4/5 ft of water.

The ski is now sold to a friend who beats the shit out of it in all conditions the past month weather I may not be in, and he loves the ski.

Cheers Joseph

Joseph

More
11 years 7 months ago #12901 by Rightarmbad
I know of two/three? cases where the boat has been replaced under warranty.
Swordfishes have had their own run of poor quality.

All the brands have warranty issues, the only difference is how it is handled by the distributor.

In Australia, Dean Garderner is exemplary in his handling of warranty issues.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
11 years 7 months ago #12962 by boss
I have just orderd a Swordfish, now I have big reservations about the purchase and the negative feedback. The elite I had was was so well made i was hoping for the same quality out of the swordfish.

What to buy ??

More
11 years 7 months ago #12963 by antonsa
We had 30 Fenn Swordfish at the Mauritius Ocean Classic - of which 10 have been there since 2011. All were really well made - and are still in fine shape after much use by various paddlers. 8 are glass construction and 22 are Glass Vacuum (nice light and strong skis). A popular ski that works really well in the local conditions.

Anton Erasmus - Director Mauritius Ocean Classic
PS see you at the MOC 24 to 29 June 2013.

More
11 years 7 months ago #12964 by zamalek
I have had both - the old which got soft,cracked and not at all great.The guys at Fenn were fantastic and had a replacement delivered to me after inspecting the first one.The new one is also the vacuum glass layup,is used off Umdloti Beach,north of Durban most of the time.Conditions are never easy,heavy shorebreak, midbreak,backline,shallow sandbanks,not the easiest place to paddle.I have thrown everything at this ski and it remains intact, the latest being pitchpoled when coming in thru heavy surf and having nosedived into the sandbank,yet the ski remains perfect.

Hats off to Keith & co. for a great product.Being a mid-packer this is without doubt the best ski for me yet - stable and easy onto the runs.

Latest Forum Topics