Nelo Viper 55 and Epic V8

More
11 years 8 months ago #12481 by krishanu
Could anyone advise me regarding how these boats compare? I need comparison in speed, stability, comfort level and surf behavior. I plan to use this boat in big wave and wind condition. A detailed comparison is welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #12489 by markjlyon
I can't shed light on the Nelo, but it does look like another good option in this category. If I were you, I'd also consider the Think Eze--I've been paddling one for a few months and I think it's great. Especially for a smaller paddler, vs. the V8.

More
11 years 8 months ago #12498 by krishanu
Thank you very much. I paddled both the THINK EZE and EPIC V8 boats one time each for about 10 km. Both are excellent boats. Both boats are stable in wave and windy conditions. THINK EZE is based on a fitness boat named THINK FIT. 17' long and 20" wide, whereas EPIC V8 is based on a sea kayak 18X sport or something, with 18' long and 22" wide. I didn't try in very big waves but I guess in very big waves EPIC V8 might be little more stable than THINK EZE. But THINK EZE being a shorter boat might surf better. I never read any direct comparison between these 2 boats.

Nelo Viper 55 is 17' long and 22" inch wide. Could it be best of both worlds? I never paddled any Nelo boat but I heard from others that Nelo boats are excellent boats. That's the reason I am requesting if anyone who paddled both V8 and Viper 55 could compare directly between these 2 boats.

More
11 years 8 months ago #12503 by ccchappell
I did get a chance to sit in the Nelo Viper 55, but unfortunately was too tight in the hips and short in the leg length for me. Just for reference, I am tight fit in a SE and V10 both hips and leg length. I do not have any problem sitting in a V8 or S18S (which my wife has and loves).

The Viper sure did look nice though. Nice narrow catch, great integrated handles in bucket, build quality looked great (WWR construction) and very cool color :) Too bad they don't make a "big boy" version.

Hopefully you can find one to check out.

Chris

More
11 years 8 months ago #12504 by markjlyon
It seems to me the V8 might be designed for a larger person--it's got more volume and a much larger cockpit and bucket than the Think Eze. Not sure about the Nelo, but it sounds like it's a smaller boat too.

• Arnt
  • Visitor
11 years 8 months ago #12513 by Arnt
Replied by Arnt on topic Re: Nelo Viper 55 and Epic V8
The Viper-series (51, 55 and 60) is made for flatvater or smaller conditions, not for rough sea. They have not enough volume in front, small rudders, and the hullprofile dont give you the rides you want.
Better look at the Think Eze or Carbonology Zest.

More
11 years 8 months ago #12514 by richardh
I have bucket width issues with many skis, but found the Eze a really comfortable fit. The cockpit is narrow and I pretty much fill it up, which is a good thing after a dunking!

The Narrow catch makes paddling easier.

I found the Eze a fair bit more stable than the Zest.

More
11 years 7 months ago #12911 by OneMore
Nelo ViperSki55 for "bigger guys" ?

I was told by the Norwegian reseller of Nelo kayaks (Eirik V. Larsen, did well in London, 1000m K1, by the way) that Viperski55 may be ordered with XXL cockpit, he has been selling them.

In Nelos tough WWR layup I believe this ski to be "a more than usual durable product".

Only question is: How big waves before diving with the nose, especially if "the pilot" is heavy? The low front volume should provide advantages in wind with small (or no) waves, however.

Is Epic V8 and Think Eze better suited for waves 60cm and taller? How big waves for Viperski55?

And which of Viperski55, V8 or Eze is the fastest in flat conditions?

More than one person might answer questions, as answer may depend on body weight. So please, inform about body weight when ansering.

OneMore

More
11 years 7 months ago #12958 by bulldog
Hi Richardh. The zest is not to be put in the same category as a V8 or Eze. It is more in the swordfish category when you look at stability and speed.Carbonology are busy with a VSB (very stable boat).Regards Gary

More
9 years 8 months ago #21357 by Joseph
Replied by Joseph on topic Nelo Viper 55 and Epic V8
G Day,
I have used both the V-8 and the NELO Viper 55 ON THE FLAT AND ON GULF OF MEXICO RUNS BOTH LARGE AND SMALL. I would not call either Ski a Flat water Ski for racing, Both Ski's if buying for open water Surf and running large stuff need the large Rudder on My 55 I use the 9" rudder for large runs. The NELO 55 works better at 28lb. than some 19 and 21ft. Ski's I have had, the larger the better and great also on small down hill stuff and into it if you read water well. The Ski is stable, when not bad out I have a 1" pad in the bucket to get me up higher I am 6'3" 170 lb. 34" inseam My mate also uses the Ski 5'9" 30" inseam all works well they build a 21 lb. one but for wind and Sea use I would go for the 28lb a bit more stable and less high wind problems. I did not find this with the V-8 The Bucket is for big boys and I can not get comfortable + I found more sliding off steep stuff with the V-8.

Good Luck Cheers Joseph

Joseph

Latest Forum Topics