Looking for a less restrictive PDF

More
11 years 9 months ago #12099 by PaddleDog52
I was looking for a less restrictive jacket for sprinting in my kayak Current Design Nomad. Probably use it in a ski after I try my friends. Thanks. I have this now and it seems to push up. www.kokatat.com/products/pfd/outfit-tour-pfd.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #12131 by mgtown
I'm a fan of Astral pfd's. Their models that have the "tectonic" plate feature are quite nice (willis, greenjacket, and seawolf). I find them to be extremely comfortable. You can also adjust the length. My background with pfd's is primarily in white water (7 yrs guiding). I suggest going to a paddle shop and trying on several or using a friends to see if you like it. What you don't want is to buy something you end up not liking because you wont use it. I'd also advise against only looking at pfd's designated for "ocean kayaking" sometimes they put too many extra crap on the front that can make remounting a bit more combersome. Just my two cents.
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by mgtown. Reason: spelling

More
11 years 9 months ago #12191 by bucko
I tried several PFD's and found almost all of them very restrictive, consequently my race performances against my usual markers were poor when compared to usual weekly time trials without PFD's. I have finally settled on a Think PFD, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles hanging off it that others do which seems to reduce the bulk and is the least restrictive version I have tried thus far. There was a lengthy debate on this site regarding the virtues or otherwise of a built in water bladder pouch which is absent in this PFD (which I won't go into here as it just got plain ridiculous). Suffice to say although the Think PFD doesn't have one my requirment was for minimal bulk and this didn't bother me in the slightest. Not sure what country you are in but Stew O'Regan can sort you out with one if in Aus.

The other option which I see in my work environment but less so in SKI racing are your 'horse collar' style inflatable PFD's which are activated when required with a small CO2 cylinder. I have worn these at work, they are very light and generally toggle operated (self operating ones which are activated by salt water would clearly not be suitable for a surf ski). The only issue I see with these style PFD's is that if you hit your head falling from the ski and are unable to operate the toggle they will it will be of little use to you. In any event if you simply cannot get comfortable with a standard PFD, this may be an option these types are approved by most international and local maritime authorities and are certainly preferable to solo paddling off the coast 'sans' any approved device.

Good Luck with your search.

More
11 years 9 months ago #12192 by JML
The problem you will have with the collars type PFD's is that they are a Type 1 and once activated you will have problems getting back on the ski as they blow up at the front and put you on your back, keeping your head out of the water. If you are in Aust. go to FitnessPaddlers.com.au and I can send you some info on a number of alternatives including the Think.

More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #12193 by FalllGuy
Zhik Buoyancy Aide- Anyone familiar with this unit?

www.westcoastsailing.net/default/catalog...pfd-10/category/203/
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by FalllGuy.

More
11 years 9 months ago #12196 by fer-hou
I tried the Zhik. Good for sailing, but not enough space around the arms for paddling, it rubs. The Gill PFD is similar (not bulky) but fits me better, has more space.

Still end up using my old Mocke PFD most of the time, works well!
The following user(s) said Thank You: FalllGuy

Latest Forum Topics