What's going on with the surfski.info website?

• Rabubiman
  • Visitor
12 years 2 days ago #11321 by Rabubiman
Seems to me a year ago this was the most relevant website in the world for the what's hot and who's who of surfski paddling. This year, we are 2 world cup events behind on even the results!

No doubt opening myself up for some serious criticism, but what's changed? Surely the world cup is the most significant event for our sport? Why then has the home page not changed in months?

The forum still appears to be alive and buzzing with a subculture of paddlers the world over, no doubt carried over from the awesomeness of the surfski.info legacy, but if these forum contributors like me have to go to other, less established websites for our nooz and current updates, the legacy will crumble and wane, just like my youth and vitality, year by year whittling away my boat speed kph/kph, or my max heart rate bpm by bpm...

(OK Rob, so my wife might have a point when she calls me obsessive about this damn sport, but I just can't help myself...)

Interested to hear what others think???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 day ago #11322 by [email protected]
Aaaaaaargh!

I know, I know.

I've been away - and sick. But that's not really the problem. I'm just battling to find the time for the site right now.

Anyone with writing ability, technical ability and keenness want to help with the site?

Thanks for the prod - I've been feeling really bad about my neglect of the site.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
12 years 1 day ago #11323 by Markmyword
I think the emphasis needs to be on getting as many visitors and users to create and add the input, similar to what is happening in the forum. As an example, i notice that there are a lot of paddle events on the Queensland coast that are basically word of mouth, local knowledge events (The Noosa Paddle & Gold Coast Cup come to mind). As a person just starting my second year of Surfski, i find it very frustrating trying to find what events are where and when. I know from conversations i have with other people that my experience is not unique in this regard. I also find that other websites are driven by specific manufacturers and or paddling groups and no one website seems to be independent of commercial bias. Having surfed many, many websites. I am hoping that this website becomes and/or remains that one stop site i can go to for information.

More
12 years 1 day ago #11324 by Dicko
One thing this site has never really done properly is paddler profiles. Someone who knows Oscar or Dean or Dawid or Tim or Jeremy,etc, etc should write an article. What they paddle, what paddle they use, how often they paddle. There is a years supply of material just there. How about a manufacurers profile and factory tour. There is an endless supply of technical stuff.

More
12 years 1 day ago #11334 by Kneewall49
Unless it is a business, or your getting paid for it, or you have no interest in other aspects of like, websites decline. Slowly not keeping up turns to a completely irrelevant side.

The forum seems to be working well, and from my motorcycle interests, is the real value of the Internet.

Northern Beaches, Australia.
[Fenn Swordfish, Fenn Spark, Carbonology Zest Double
Pain is temporary, glory can be even less so...

• Rabubiman
  • Visitor
12 years 1 day ago #11340 by Rabubiman
Rob, I would LOVE to help if I could in any way! Mail me on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. but I think that MarkmyWord may have a good point about encouraging more folks to input directly, as opposed to a million race reports from all over the world funneling through 1 resource. Not sure how this is possible yet, but would like to chat more! Hope you better Rob!

Latest Forum Topics