New to Western Aus

More
12 years 1 week ago #10705 by Josh G
New to Western Aus was created by Josh G
Hi guys,

I have just moved to WA from New Zealand and am in the process of getting established here. Back home I did a bit of multisport racing in events like the coast to coast, so I have done a fair bit of paddling in grade two rivers but most of it has been in multisport kayaks. I would like to keep up my paddling over here so have gone and brought a ski. Talking to locals who have been out paddling when I've been out cycling in the mornings pointed me to this site.

I wouldn't mind if someone could point me in the direction of a good place to get some pointers and possibly even someone to paddle with on occasions. I am currently based in east Perth but am moving down the coast to Golden Bay at the end of the month.

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 week ago #10708 by AR_convert
Replied by AR_convert on topic Re: New to Western Aus
Gidday Josh, golden bay is about 15min from me and just down the road from Mandurah, home of Mandurah Ocean club where quite a few locals train.

A few of us in this area are multisport addicts who catch up for mountain biking, road riding , running and cross fit style training so will be good to have another training buddy.

As for general paddling events and chat our local forum is www.ratherbepaddling.com.au

Regards, Brett

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
12 years 1 week ago #10709 by thebigadski
Replied by thebigadski on topic Re: New to Western Aus
Hi Josh

Best you come and visit the club, details here;
www.mandurahoceanclub.com.au/

We ( or someone!!) are there every Sat & Sun morn, Tues & Thurs arvo, except when the SW'er blows - then its downwind time!

c u there!

More
12 years 1 week ago #10711 by richardh
Replied by richardh on topic Re: New to Western Aus
Hi Josh.

There are normally a few of us who paddle from The Narrows - where you saw me on Friday - on Wednesday and Friday mornings ... work and kids permitting!

While you are still based in Perth, feel free to come along. We aim to leave at 6:00 for a tad over 10km paddle

Regards
R.

I plan to be the Wednesday.

More
12 years 1 week ago #10713 by Josh G
Replied by Josh G on topic Re: New to Western Aus
Thanks guys sounds like there are plenty of opportunities out there! I am pretty keen on getting to grips with the new ski before I venture out for a group paddles as I hate being a burden. I am also waiting on my paddle and a few other bits of gear from home. However I have been out and got the basics to get myself started.

More
12 years 1 week ago #10715 by AR_convert

Josh G wrote: Thanks guys sounds like there are plenty of opportunities out there! I am pretty keen on getting to grips with the new ski before I venture out for a group paddles as I hate being a burden. .

Geez mate, anyone whose done the coast to coast is in no danger of being a burden :) the Saturday morning Mandurah Dome Paddle has up to around 20 paddlers who usually split into 3 or 4 groups ranging from relaxed casual paddlers to the go hard bunch, so no danger of being a burden with us.

More
12 years 1 week ago #10716 by Josh G
Haha well see how we go I will definitely be keen for a paddle in the near future. Move down to golden bay after my next shift so will be in touch.

• SS@Bermuda7
  • Visitor
12 years 1 week ago #10718 by SS@Bermuda7
Replied by SS@Bermuda7 on topic Re: New to Western Aus
Lads, repeat what Josh said. I'm arriving in Perth on the 5th April and will be staying in the Riverton area for a while until I find my feet and move closer to the ocean. Any regular paddling groups around there? Besides for Adam are there any paddle shops around with ski's in stock?

Cheers
S.S.

More
12 years 1 week ago #10719 by thebigadski
Mandurah way we have:
www.paddlewest.com.au/ & myself, THINK Kayak WA
(although we don't have shopfronts)

Perth there are:

www.canoesonline.com.au
www.canoeingdownunder.com.au
www.in2kayaks.com.au
www.gopaddlesports.com.au

just to name a few - depending on what brand you are after.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SS@Bermuda7

More
12 years 1 week ago #10722 by richardh
Replied by richardh on topic Re: New to Western Aus
Other useful links ...
This Canoeing in Western Australia site contains lots of useful information and some secondhand kayaks and skis which can also be found on Gumtree and Gear Trade

More
12 years 1 week ago #10731 by Josh G
Hey guys, a question not really relevant to the title of the forum but how would you recommend tying the nose of your ski during transport? I brought an Epic ski and they have no eye on the nose to fix a rope too. Do people usually whack them into their bags or is there a company that make a sock with an eye or something I can slip over the nose of the boat with an eye in it? I have a relatively short car any want to make sure my boat is secure. I have tried roping around it but it tends to slip.

More
12 years 1 week ago #10732 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re: New to Western Aus
First, get some good cradles.

Second, when the cyclone blows and you do need to tie the ends, just simply do a circle loop around the ski, go two loops if you are concerned, it won't come off as it will always try and go towards the vehicle and the ski gets fatter that way.

Don't use elastic cord.
Don't overly tighten it, it only needs to limit movement.

If the gods have thrown down some serious weather, it's best to try and anchor the straps as wide as possible.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
12 years 1 week ago #10735 by egger
Replied by egger on topic Re: New to Western Aus
Canning river canoe club hold club races every Tuesday night. Meet at the Riverton bridge at 5.30 for a 6.00 pm start. All skill levels and boat types welcome.

More
11 years 11 months ago #11351 by Josh G
Right, do I'm settled downin Golden Bay now and liking the area, I have managed to get out on my ski four times in the past to breaks from work but now I'm in a bit of routine this should increase fairly quickly. Are there any recommendations as to good places to get in for a flat water paddle I brought a epic v10l in the end, I am slowly coming to grips with it but just need to spend time in the boat as it is a little less stable than the multisport kayak I was racing back home. I hasn't tipped me out yet which is a plus :) , still have some work to do on my remounting technique too as I don't have that quite sored yet.

More
11 years 11 months ago #11352 by AR_convert
Its a 50/50 proposition distance wise for you, you have got the canals in Mandurah or head down to Cockburn sound (Rockingham/Palm beach) as it faces north and is inside the Garden island causeway it is pretty calm most of the time. In the mornings when an Easterly is blowing anywhere along the coast is pretty good, especially this time of year with no wind, awesome paddling conditions at the moment if you want to see the bottom in 5 metres of water!

There is a group of us training at palm beach on Monday nights at 4.30 if you can make it, meet about 200 metres west of the new Palm beach Jetty.

More
11 years 11 months ago #11356 by Josh G
Thanks for that, I have been heading up to safety bay for my last couple of sessions and paddling along the coast up there. It has been good and you are right about the visibility, I can't believe how clear it is! Monday is a tricky one for me as I'm working tuesday to Tuesday, and typically drive in the night before maybe once I get a little more practice in I'll drive in late and catch you for a paddle.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11638 by AR_convert
Welcome to the forum and WA?

What part of our fine state are you in?

More
11 years 10 months ago #11694 by Josh G
Hey guys, so I have been getting out in my ski a heap more now I'm down in Mandurah and managed to paddle all five days of my last break, was awesome weather so I couldn't help myself and got out amongst it. I managed to bump into Adam? From Think on Saturday which was good to have a chat an sus a few more things out, thanks. I will be aiming to catch up with the club maybe for a saturday morning paddle once I have been home to see family next break. However I would like to learn to remount properly in the mean time. I am struggling to get my head round it is there anyone who gives lessons or is it a matter of practicing until I get it sorted.

More
11 years 10 months ago #11695 by thebigadski
Yep twas me!

Take a good look at this:

www.surfski.info/getting-started/item/10...lls-the-remount.html

I was only showing someone else the other day!!

C u on the water :)

More
11 years 10 months ago #11696 by Josh G
Haha sweet it wasn't whether it was you or not I am just struggling with names at the moment as I have met so many people in the last few months, turns out there are plenty of friendly people about willing to chat. I'm getting better when it comes to remembering but have offended a few people around the place when they start chatting away and I have to stop and check that I've actually met them before.

Latest Forum Topics