Mako 6 v Elite

More
13 years 4 months ago #5851 by Red
Mako 6 v Elite was created by Red
Trying to get some opinions on the comparison between the Fenn Mako 6 and the Elite, particularly on their overall performance, ie in both flat (river) and ocean conditions, from people who have paddled both.

I want a ski that is going to be competitive in a variety of conditions, not just downwind, and unfortunately I am looking at the second hand market, of which Fenn seems to have the majority.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #5852 by Shed
Replied by Shed on topic Re:Mako 6 v Elite
I've paddled both and the stability feels virtually the same. On the flat I can't notice a difference. The 6 has more rocker and IMO is more manouvrable on waves, however the elite tracks better. The 6 has more seat room so worth trying for fit before you buy. When you put them next to each other there is stuff all difference, so just go with what you feel best in. All the specs should be on the web.

I hope that helps.

More
13 years 4 months ago #5853 by Robingraham
Replied by Robingraham on topic Re:Mako 6 v Elite
I have and train in both carbon 6 and Elite. Elite is far faster and more stable. Elite surfs a LOT better as the rudder is further forward....very noticeable in short period wind waves, where the 6 spins out a lot unless you're going hard. Just no comparison....I use my 6 as a " beater boat" for training only because it was cheap and second hand.

More
13 years 4 months ago #5854 by Perth ski chick
Replied by Perth ski chick on topic Re:Mako 6 v Elite
I only paddled the Elite briefly, and used to own an M6. I found the Elite tippier and more difficult to remount - so if you think you might fall out, try a remount when you demo the skis.

The rudder placement on the Elite makes it much easier to control on waves. If you'll only race on the flat then there's probably nothing in it.

The Elite might be easier to sell later???

More
13 years 4 months ago #5860 by [email protected]
I've spent a lot of time in both boats. In my opinion the Elite:
- is slightly tippier than the M6
- has much less tendency than the M6 to broach off waves.
- is much better at bouncing the next wave, where the M6 has a tendency to sink into and wallow when you try to go over the next wave.
- feels faster on the flat than the M6

I prefer the Elite by far - because of the radically better performance in downwind conditions.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
13 years 4 months ago #5861 by Red
Replied by Red on topic Re:Mako 6 v Elite
Thank you all for the feedback, much appreciated. Elite it is. Now I just need the overtime to pay for it.

Cheers

More
13 years 4 months ago #5862 by Rightarmbad
Replied by Rightarmbad on topic Re:Mako 6 v Elite
So cool that now you have decided that they come out with the SL.........

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 4 months ago #5863 by garykroukamp
Replied by garykroukamp on topic Re:Mako 6 v Elite
SL? Slimline? Slightly longer? Seriously lovely?

More
13 years 4 months ago #5864 by Zebra
Replied by Zebra on topic Re:Mako 6 v Elite
I've paddled both, each for more than a season, and can agree with 100% of what Rob has written.

However, what 'Shed' wrote "When you put them next to each other there is stuff all difference", is not correct; the Elite has a different rudder placement AND cockpit placement, all to better enhance the surfing ability of the Elite.

If I remember correctly, there is a 30cm+ difference in rudder placement, and a 10cm+ difference in seat palcement, EACH in opposing directions to the Mako, making for a different feel indeed, especially when surfing downwind waves.

YMMV (your mileage may vary)
Cheers

More
13 years 4 months ago #5865 by Shed
Replied by Shed on topic Re:Mako 6 v Elite
Not quite 30cm but close! :)

For the record, here are the differences:

Reduced rocker ( 3cm at the tail)
The rudder has moved 10cm forward
The cockpit is located 6cm further aft
Narrower hull by 1cm
Taller foredeck by 1cm
Slightly greater volume aft

Interesting from the opinions how the small differences have made the elite handle much better DW. If making these minor adjustments changes a ski so much, it is exciting the scope for more improvements on all skis!

Toys toys toys!!! :woohoo:

Latest Forum Topics