Quasi-Beginner ? The Right Surf Ski

More
16 years 9 months ago #518 by JCR
I?ve been kayaking with a Seda Glider for a few years in the Mississippi River. I?m about to move near the ocean (southeast Florida) and I really want to make the move to a surf ski. I?ve never been on one and have heard they are more difficult to keep steady, nevertheless I feel I?ll give it a go. I wanted to poll the forum for their advice as to what they think would be a good ski for me to start with. I would like to have a quality ski with a good stability-to-speed ratio.

If it makes a difference, I?m a 31 year old guy who?s a pretty good athlete --- (but I don?t know how long it?ll take to get used to a ski.) I appreciate any advice giving. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 9 months ago #519 by [email protected]
I'd strongly recommend starting on an entry-level ski - the additional stability will make it much easier and less frustrating to get used to ski paddling.

The entry level skis that you could consider include:

Huki SR-1
Epic V10 Sport
Fenn XT
Custom Kayaks Mentor
Think Evo
Red7 Surf60 Multi

Given your previous paddling experience you may get used to these skis quite quickly - but the re-sale value of skis is very good and you can then move up to a quicker (tippier) ski.

But I'm sure you'll get plenty of other advice on this forum!

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
16 years 9 months ago #520 by Edmond
Hey Oscar's & Lewis are both around 40 and still seem to be doing ok for themselves at the top-end of this sport. So I'd guess at your age you're doing ok and have more than 10 years of competitive surfsking ahead of you.

Regards,

Ed (also new to the sport, but at the ripe old age of 37)

Latest Forum Topics