Elite level ski for the high and mighty

• Grizzly
  • Visitor
13 years 9 months ago #4800 by Grizzly
Replied by Grizzly on topic Re:Elite level ski for the high and mighty
Epic, although I'm not sure if it's unique to epic australia. They don't advertise it anywhere that I have seen. Worth an ask for sure though

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #4802 by AR_convert
Yeah I hadnt seen or heard of them until I had a boat repair done in Perth by Walter Chulupski of Epic fame who showed me one in his workshop should I come to the conclusion that the V10L is too tight for me.

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
13 years 9 months ago #4803 by Rightarmbad
So, I wish I had of known about this when I decided that the V12 was too short for me.
May very well have changed my decision to get the V10.

I just may have fit into a V12 after all.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

More
13 years 9 months ago #4804 by Rightarmbad
Silly question, but did you ask any of the manufacturers if they were willing to modify a boat for you?
It may very well be easier for them to do than anybody else.

Maybe a V10 sport bucket could be shoehorned into a V10 or something along those lines.

Follow the path of the independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that are important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.--- Thomas J. Watson

• Grizzly
  • Visitor
13 years 9 months ago #4806 by Grizzly
The V12 has quite a lot of leg room; after all, it was designed to fit Oscar Chalupsky, who is 6' 4". But I would imagine the bigger footplate would accommodate (possibly) up to 6' 6", maybe even a touch more depending on leg length.

Asking manufacturers to modify boats just adds zeros to the price I have found :( I was quoted over AU$7000 for a mid-low range Nelo, in the baseline construction a year or 2 ago to have it modified.

Unfortunately the V10S seat is pretty much as wide as the V10 itself. But it won't hurt to ask. Thanks for the idea

Does anyone know what the width of a Van Dusen Mohican is at the seat?

More
13 years 9 months ago #4807 by Paddle2Fitness
Try the new Ozflyte R21. Wider seat and would seem by other paddlers comments stable yet fast in the water.

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #4812 by superted
Paddle2Fitness wrote:

Try the new Ozflyte R21. Wider seat and would seem by other paddlers comments stable yet fast in the water.

www.surfski.info/index.php?option=com_ku...iew&catid=21&id=4647

From yr earlier post the R21 appeared to be a beginners boat? which surely would mean it would not have the same boat speed as an Elite level ski like the Think Uno or Epic V12 that Grizzly mentioned were his ideals.

A lot of skis seem to be able to be a cross between the beginner/ intermediate level but to be both beginner/ elite seems impossible.

How wide is the R21?
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by superted.

• Grizzly
  • Visitor
13 years 9 months ago #4815 by Grizzly
Ozflyte seem to be spec. skis rather than racers, at least that's what their boat shapes look like to me. Also they seem extremely short and heavy.

More
13 years 9 months ago #4818 by Rightarmbad

• Grizzly
  • Visitor
13 years 9 months ago #4819 by Grizzly
Wow, that's a huge step away from their other skis! and is extremely impressive. It doesn't seem to have made it to their website, unless it's under the new name "phoenix" now

I would be very interested in a test paddle if I manage to find one in Victoria.

Still waiting on the width of the Mohican, looks like it might be a tough decision

More
13 years 9 months ago #4829 by AR_convert
Certainly a beautifully presented ski.

If that Youtube video was done for promotion you think they would put someone in the boat who had their balance down pat, she may be a good paddler but she does make the ski look very frisky (read tippy) on the flat.

Another thing to consider with such a colourful ski is repairs, we dont intend to go out and damage our ski's but I was hit by another ski while riding a big swell and you have to look pretty hard to see where the repair was done on the white gelcoat, wouldnt be so straight forward with all those colours and graphics I wouldnt think.

Cant wait to see one in the flesh over here in West Oz.

We need someone to set-up some paddlers Expo's to see a lot of these boats we can only read about on here.

Always looking for the next boat :)

• Grizzly
  • Visitor
13 years 9 months ago #4845 by Grizzly
The ozflyte, although impressive, is too narrow for me. it is just as wide as the elite skis

More
13 years 9 months ago #4850 by Rightarmbad
So from what I can see, you have two choices, get somebody to modify an elite ski like the earlier posted did or just know that a boat needs to be as wide as a V10 sport to fit you.
And being that wide, I can't imagine that being longer than a sport would be any faster, as it would probably just add wetted area.
So maybe a V10 sport is the fastest boat for you?
You just cannot fight wide hips. That will always be your limiting factor.

What about raising the bottom of the seat so that you can sit in the wider portion of the bucket? Or can you not even start to slide your hips in?

More
13 years 9 months ago #4855 by ccchappell
Hi Grizzly,
Sorry for not getting the Mohican measurements. Started new job last week that has had me slammed... The Mohican is 18" wide, and I have a narrow 1/4" pad just at the rim of the bucket above my hip bone for contact - Plenty of room for me. The seat is flat with the sides of the bucket fairly vertical. I can not fit in a V12 bucket, and V10 can squeeze into but can not rotate since hips pinched if this helps in comparison. Ted also made me extra long rails on the foot board so I have plenty of adjust-ability in the leg length

Mohican flies in less then 1/2 foot waves/chop but becomes a bit much form me in anything greater (I'm a novice though in ocean paddling)

Chris

More
13 years 9 months ago #4858 by [email protected]
I've just been paddling novice/intermediate ski that might suit the "high & mighty". It's from Kayak Centre, the guys who make the EOS660.

Basically a 660 made a bit fatter - but still the same length. I've only paddled it once so far - in very choppy water where I was able to keep up with my buddies in Mako Elite & EOS 660...

Can't wait to take it on a big downwind - it may just be an extremely fun boat in the big stuff.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
13 years 9 months ago #4866 by nell
Grizzly, don't count on the mohican being a good rough water boat. It's a boat that scares the bejeezus out of me in 2-3 ft waves even though I'm plenty comfortable in a V12/elite/Uno in 6 ft waves. Might be related to the low rocker or round flattish hull shape - I'm not sure. But, it is very, very nice on flat water up to what Chris mentions as less than 1 ft waves. I don't think it's faster than the other elite level skis on flatwater, but the mohican offers the same speed plus a roomier interior and wider waterline. That's the Van Dusen magic - wider, more surface area, but no loss in speed. Erik

• Grizzly
  • Visitor
13 years 9 months ago #4870 by Grizzly
Hmm, looks like the EOS 665 might be the better and cheaper way to go...

More
13 years 9 months ago #4871 by [email protected]
24-32kt NW forecast for this afternoon - taking the EOS 665 on a "Reverse Millers" downwind run... Yeeeha!

I'll be paddling with my buddy Dale Lippstreu who'll be on his EOS 660 equipped with the "CAR" rudder... It'll be his first time with the rudder in real downwind conditions.

Two video cameras on board... stay tuned!

Rob

Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
13 years 9 months ago #4872 by Rightarmbad
Maybe you should mount a camera on the bottom of the hull so we don't miss any of the action.

More
13 years 9 months ago #4874 by [email protected]
:-)

Well, the wind wasn't as strong as forecast, but I can report that in small runs the 665 is great fun to paddle. For the middle section of the paddle we had diagonal waves & I was able to surf down them at an angle - dropping my buddy who was spinning out on his 660...

Really fun paddle.

Can't wait to try the boat out in a really big downwind...

Negatives? The seat is too wide and I was sliding around in it - but they're changing it

Rob

Latest Forum Topics