Fenn Elite vs Epic V12 vs Red7 Surf70 Pro

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #4428 by aracer
Yes I know this has mostly been done before, but given all postings are months old, I was wondering whether anybody had any updates? Looking at getting the fastest ski I can - particularly interested in flatwater/upwind speed given my expected usage (yes I know that's not really what skis are for, but I do events where I'm not allowed to use my K1, but can use a ski). Is the difference between these negligible, or is there a real difference?

Before anybody suggests Think Uno, I would be interested, but it's not easy to get one here, and if I could get one I'd be paying significantly more money for a heavier boat.
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by aracer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #4429 by nell
The difference in flatwater speed between these is probably negligible. So, the personal choice for you would come down to comfort and stability and ease of remount in case you swim. I haven't spent enough time in the Red7 to really get to know that boat, but to compare the Elite and the V12, the Elite seems to have a bit better initial stability but the V12 has substantially more secondary stability. The Elite will give you a bit drier ride in waves but, because of this, it's considerably more difficult to remount than the V12. However, the deep narrow bow of the Elite might give it a slight edge going upwind. Just my 2 cents. I prefer the V12, though, only because I find it more comfortable and more stable. All good skis. Erik

More
13 years 11 months ago #4432 by [email protected]
I agree with Erik.

I've spent quite a bit of time in all three boats. I found the v12 appreciably more twitchy than the other two, but as Erik says, secondary stability is great.

The Red7 is the easiest to remount and has the fastest draining scuppers.

The Mako Elite has the deepest seat, and as Erik says, is more of a challenge to remount. Funnily enough the time I find it most difficult to remount in calm conditions - in strong wind it's much easier.

I think it comes down to personal preference between the top-end boats. They're all made well (the Red7 used to have something of a reputation for less than excellent workmanship but this has improved hugely in the last year or so).

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
13 years 11 months ago #4434 by Dicko
Rob,
how would you rate the 3 downwind?

More
13 years 11 months ago - 13 years 11 months ago #4435 by OneMore
Three questions on my mind:

1a) Would Red7 Surf70 Pro fit a paddler with inseam 35.5", 6'5" tall?

1b) Could someone compare the length of footwell on Surf70 Pro with the length of footwell on Epic V10 or V10 Sport? If my understanding is correct, length of footwell on V12 is shorter than footwell on V10, while footwell on Fenn Elite may be (uncetain here) longer than on V10 and V10 Sport. But what about Red7 Surf70 Pro?

3) Does Red7 Surf70 Pro depend (more than the 20 cm shorter Epic V12) on long waves to work well in following seas, because of its large length combined with unusual small amount of rocker?
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by OneMore. Reason: I want to clarify my questions, make them more precise

More
13 years 11 months ago #4436 by [email protected]
Hmm... 6'5"? Not sure, but I'd say so. I'm 6'1" and there's plenty of rail left in front of the footplate on the Red7. I'd say the Red7 has as much leg room as the Fenn Mako Elite.

The only ski i know presents problems to very tall paddlers is the V12: Matt Bouman for example can't fit in the V12.

The Red7 is an excellent downwind boat. I'd say it works pretty well in most sea conditions; it works particularly well on small runs - as evidence my paddling buddy gives me a harder time in smaller runs. (But that could also be the difference in our experience - I have more time than him in bigger conditions).

What do I like about the Red7 in downwind conditions? It seldom nose-dives and if it does it seems to pop up again very quickly without slowing dramatically - like some other skis. It also goes diagonally across the waves very nicely.

I do find it a little less maneuverable than the Mako Elite (which, read another way, means that it holds its line more firmly.) I have a custom elliptical rudder (similar to but smaller than the Epic surf rudder) which makes my Mako Elite a little more twitchy perhaps, but makes it even less prone to broaching, and more maneuverable. (By maneuverable, I'm talking about the ability to change direction, especially when you're coming off a wave, to go chase the next dip.)

I paddled the V12 in Mauritius (big ocean swell) and liked it, but liked it somewhat less in wind generated waves in Cape Town, when I found that it would stick its nose into the next wave and slow down.

So my personal preference in downwind conditions would be Mako Elite, Red7 then V12. (I spend most of my time on the Mako Elite.) But they're all great boats.

(Bear in mind that I'm a middle-aged mid-packer, who does better in downwind conditions than on the flat! There are paddlers who swear by each of these skis...)

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
13 years 11 months ago #4438 by OneMore
Rob: Thanks a lot for the comprehensive information.

Latest Forum Topics