Leaving Carbon Skis in the Sun

More
13 years 11 months ago #4399 by Zarb
So I am moving around a lot in the next few years, all places very much worthy of taking a surf ski, but accommodation will be quite small. Which means I will have to store my kayak on top of my roof racks, with lockable straps.

Parking is not undercover. Would a kayak cover be sufficient to keep my ski protected from the elements? Something heavier duty than a basic cloth sock of course.

It will be a variety of temperatures, moving from coastal VIC, to country QLD, to Canberra ACT.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #4400 by YBA/Jim Murray
Cover should be breathable (canvas and block) as much UV as possible.Slacken tie downs except when driving, because your boat may become permanently deformed if tightened down under hot sun.
Jim

More
13 years 11 months ago #4401 by Zarb
Would it be wise to double up on covers? Or will it not breathe enough?

I was going to get either an Epic or Think style canvas cover. Would this be sufficient for a few years worth of being left out in the sun?

If it causes too much wear on the boat, I would just leave it here in Sydney.

More
13 years 11 months ago #4404 by YBA/Jim Murray
Probably one would do it. Breathable means not trapping moisture between boat and cover. That degrades gel coat.
Ideally your boat should be sitting in about 3in foam lined cradles spaced maybe 6ft apart. I kept boats like that for more than forty summers while traveling to jobs. There were no problems. Just fastening to car racks does cause problems.
My experience-hope it helps, Jim

More
13 years 11 months ago #4418 by Zarb
You left them in full sunlight and no problems? I will be using the kayak nearly every day, so they will be moved around a bit and positions on the cradle can be rotated each time.

Anyone else have any horror stories? I just don't want to ruin a $4000 kayak.

More
13 years 11 months ago #4419 by latman
The HeatDistortionTemperature of the resin its made of has a lot to do with it on a coloured ski , unfortunately a clear carbon(black) ski will get hotter then any resin can cope with on a sunny day . A non breathable(wet ski)cover makes for a fresh set of problems

More
13 years 11 months ago #4423 by YBA/Jim Murray
There were no UV related degrade/problems with an FG Lancer I had more than 25 Years, covered with a 6oz canvas bag I had made. A kevlar/epoxy boat with relatively little UV exposure began to degrade fairly quickly because I didn't have a bag made.
Jim

More
13 years 11 months ago #4430 by latman
Hi Jim Murray , Both Kevlar and epoxy do not like UV.What happens is the Outside of the Kevlar "browns" very quicky,but that does protect the other layers. The Epoxy resin will get chalky over time and the fibres may show through in thin spots. I guess the hull would be shielded from sun in use and the deck was gelcoated for car topping?

More
13 years 11 months ago #4433 by YBA/Jim Murray
Latman-yes. I neglected to have a cover made for the kevlar boat and paid for it. GP polyester resin degrades under UV radiation too, but not so fast as epoxy. UV inhibiters help, but don't solve the problem.
Anyway the point is that if a boat is kept out of the sun when not in use, kept clean and properly secured on appropriate racks it can last a lot longer. Especially worth the trouble for a carbon boat, given the price.
Jim

More
13 years 11 months ago #4445 by Zarb
Can you direct me to a canvas cover that i can buy online? Something with maximal sun protection.

More
13 years 11 months ago #4446 by YBA/Jim Murray
for a reasonable price you might have a cover made near you, by a sailmaker,tent and awning maker-or a guy making boat covers. You will likely have a better fit too. 6oz "canoe canvas" was the stuff I had used. It could be lighter weight. Like canvas sails- it lasts a long time if not put away wet.
Jim

More
13 years 11 months ago #4448 by Stew
You could try Surf Aids in Byron.

www.surfaids.com.au/

More
13 years 11 months ago #4449 by AR_convert
Zarb wrote:

Which means I will have to store my kayak on top of my roof racks, with lockable straps.

Sorry to state the obvious :blush: , but if you are regularly parking your car with the ski on it, I'd find a better securing method. :dry:

Lockable straps are fine for the opportunist thief, but if someone clicks that your boat is being left on your car regularly then a stanley knife will cut the straps in seconds with or without locks. :blink: I know it maybe fiddly but perhaps a weatherproof bike lock through the footstraps/rudder peddles and through the roof rack.???

Also while the boat may be protected UV wise with a canvas cover, how will the cover fair if it is allowed to remain wet for extended periods over winter (rot, mildew) and will that effect the ski if it is sweating inside?

Always looking for the next boat :)

Latest Forum Topics