Fenn LS carbon hybrid vs Epic V10 Sport fiberglass

More
1 year 9 months ago #39914 by gstewartjr
I have that corkey feeling. I'm trying a Fenn LS carbon hybrid for my surfing the shore break at torrey pines in southern California. Before this I was using a V10 sport which I'm super stable in any ocean chop. I thought an LS would add stability and let me turn with increased rocker. I can turn the Fenn LS on a dime. Super impressed with that, but I'm way more unstable and corkey now. I can't determine if it's the lighter boat or the higher seat, or something else? I friggin love the light boat and getting it onto the car and into the garage. But the instability in the ocean is killing the fun factor, especially with shark fins popping up all the time.

Priorities.
1. catching shore breach waves ( Fenn LS seems like it catches more)
2. turning - I need to turn out and face any incoming set ( Fenn LS excels), Epic is disaster.
3. Stability - my current issue. Maybe this gets better with time? Epic excels. Fenn LS Corkey. Fenn LS is stable once I catch the wave.
4 Light - getting onto car and into garage. I feel a shoulder surgery coming on if I don't stay light.
5. Speed/Flat water - I'm doing this to get away from people as an introvert, so racing is a ways off unless you are a dolphin.

Maybe my arse is large :) , but the Epic is seat is epic and comfortable, and the Fenn LS is tight.

Question.
1. I can turn fast in Fenn LS. Is that rocker or shorter boat or lighter boat? Maybe a light shorter boat would be something I would like? I'm 195Lbs.
2. Would a Fenn LS fiberglass spec ski ( 40lbs) be more stable? The plus side here is price at 2K new, but I'm not sure I can give up a light boat. I have as much fun punching out through the surf as coming in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 9 months ago #39915 by tve
try a bigger rudder on the LS?

More
1 year 9 months ago #39918 by mickeyA
Fenn’s Tarpon S deep seat is their more stable spec ski, built for what you are doing. I am surprised you could even get a carbon hybrid LS “spec” ski (spec in dimensions, rocker, but not weight). Likewise, I would be surprised if you could get a Tarpon S in carbon. If you could, that’s your ticket if you must have light. Keep in mind that expensive carbon is more apt to break in shore break. My glass Tarpon S deep seat spec ski is a little more stable than my Epic V10Sport red tip, so I would think a carbon Tarpon would be as stable as your Sport. I hear bluefin surfs well (not spec), though I think spec skis, in general, with their rocker, surfs better than ocean skis for where you are (near shore).

KR McGregor Rhythm, V10Sport, Swordfish S, Fenn Tarpon S, Fenn XT, Twogood Chalupski, Findeisen Stinger spec. Had: V12, Stellar SE, Huki S1-X, Burton wedge2, Fenn Tarpon

More
1 year 9 months ago #39919 by gstewartjr

I am surprised you could even get a carbon hybrid LS “spec” ski (spec in dimensions, rocker, but not weight).

Yeah - me too. I was happy to find a used LS on craigslist. I thought they were all 40lb, but this one is light. It's the only LS I've ever seen come up for sale carbon or otherwise.

More
1 year 7 months ago #40119 by gstewartjr
Some update. After more sessions, something in my brain switched and now the Fenn LS is stable. This is same thing which happened on my first surfski. After 2-3 weeks and about to chuck the whole thing, something clicked and the ski became stable. My original mistake was thinking an LS would be more stable then v10sport. Next ski target might be an epic v9 since I can get it in carbon and it has rocker, but this carbon hybrid is growing on me, and I love coming down breaking 4 footer and trying to hold the line and outrun it. The fat nose on the LS might be mandatory for what I'm doing. Maybe Fenn will make carbon LS/Tarpon and LS comps will not require 40lb boats.

Latest Forum Topics