Epic V8 vs Think Ace

More
3 years 5 months ago #37505 by Super Dave
Hi everyone,

It's great to see how much the surfski and OC-1 sports have taken off world wide.  I had no idea and I've really enjoyed seeing videos from around the world.  

I'm curious how these surfski's compare and I'm particularly interested in how they surf waves.  I'm on the larger size so I think these are the correct models....  6'4" / 220 lbs.  

Back in the mid 1990's I raced surfski's and did the Molokai challenge a couple of times.  I had to stop competing due to a rotator cuff injury and that also stopped me from kayaking about 15 years ago (had to go to OC-1 since that stroke didn't bother my shoulders).  

In the last 5 years I've done a lot of regular therapy on my shoulders and want to see if I can handle a kayak again.  Anyway, there's some nice waves about a two mile paddle from my house.  Catching waves would be the main purpose of the ski.

Thanks for your input,
Dave

First photo is on my Twogood Portlock back in the early 2000's.
Second photo is an OC-3 with my daughters.
Third photo is me in the OC-3.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #37506 by Epicpaddler
Replied by Epicpaddler on topic Epic V8 vs Think Ace
Awesome!
Welcome back to surfski paddling. I tore my rotator cuff last summer. I decided against the surgery and did a bit of physical therapy. I eased back into paddling using a Greenland paddle with my surfski. It might have looked ridiculous, but it worked. Hard to beat a v8 for just about anything and it would be a great boat to get back into surfski. Since you have experience you might want to start with a v8pro or similar. The v8pro doesn't have as much rocker as the regular v8, so in theory the v8 probably surfs better.

Looks like an amazing place to paddle!

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #37508 by Super Dave
Replied by Super Dave on topic Epic V8 vs Think Ace
Thank you for the warm welcome EpicPaddler.  

I think I would get up close to the weight limit on the V8 Pro model.  Since I'll be using it for surfing the extra volume on the V8 would be a plus to help with the nose diving.  

I'd also be interested in the speed and stability comparison of the two skis.  How does the paint hold up on the Think boats vs gelcoat on the Epics?  Is the quality of construction similar on the new boats?  I think these are the only brands I have access to in Hawaii.  I hope to find a used V8 but if I can't the Think is less expensive for new.

Thanks for your input.

Dave
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Super Dave. Reason: photo didn't show up

More
3 years 5 months ago #37511 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Epic V8 vs Think Ace
Hi Super Dave,

There is a new Ace Gen3 model available, to give you a heads up on that.

Also, with your experience, I'd possibly look at the Think Six. You may find
yourself looking for something a little faster very quickly based on
your paddling experience, even after a long lay off.

Enjoy the return to the sport, and hope the shoulder holds up for you.

Cheers.

More
3 years 5 months ago #37512 by LaPerouseBay
Replied by LaPerouseBay on topic Epic V8 vs Think Ace
Welcome back Dave, 

That v-3 looks like sooo much fun.  
I'd recommend the Foti brothers over on Oahu.

www.fotibros.com/fotibros.com/index.php?...log&id=26&Itemid=163

downwind dilettante

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #37513 by Super Dave
Thank you for the suggestions Stew and LaPerouseBay.  
I have a question on the length of the boat.  I heard the shorter 18 foot length is better for surfing.  Is that the case?  Does the shorter length allow  you turn more easily while you are on the wave?  The waves I will be surfing are not open ocean / down wind waves.  They are waves formed by a reef.  Here's the surf spot on a nice day.  

Video of surf spot  CLICK HERE

Thanks,
Dave
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Super Dave. Reason: Uploaded better video

More
3 years 5 months ago #37529 by agooding2
Replied by agooding2 on topic Epic V8 vs Think Ace
I think the biggest difference is that the v8 will be longer and you will be sitting down in the bucket while with the Think Ace you are sitting up little higher but since the boat is shorter you'll be about the same distance from the water.  I found both quite stable in waves, best option is to see if you can try both to see what fits you best but I think that either one will work for what you want to do.

-- Andrew

Nelo 550L, Streuer Fejna, Nelo Viper 55
Braca XI 705 EL blade, 17K shaft
Braca XI 675 marathon blade, 19K shaft
Braca IV 670 soft blade, 19K shaft

More
3 years 5 months ago #37539 by Super Dave
Thanks Andrew,

I was able to rent a V8 today.  I don't remember the last time I was on a surfski and I realized how much I like kayaks.  I never would have switched to the OC-1 if it wasn't for my shoulders.   

The V8 surfs really well and can easily catch waves with minimal effort.  It turns well and I was faster than in my OC-1.  I had a blast and would like to try the Ace...but that might be hard to find.

My shoulders feel it but they don't hurt.  I'll put in a couple hours tomorrow morning before I return the surfski.

Here's a link a short video...   CLICK HERE

Dave

More
3 years 5 months ago #37540 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic Epic V8 vs Think Ace
Dave,
First of all, color me very jealous.  In mid state PAA right now the temps just dropped into the 50's so it's getting time to bring out the neoprene.

You looks super comfortable in the V8.  As for your shoulders, you might try shortening your paddle a good few centimeters.  I had so bad shoulder pain about 2 years ago.  Bad enough that I went to an ortho.  They told me that I could have some micro tears in my rotator cuff and it was definitely aggravated.  I started watching video after video for technique tips and used my go pro to self analyze.  Turns out my elbows were too high (at least for me is what my shoulders were saying).  Adjusted my paddle length, dropped my elbows and 2 years later I'm pain free even after 10 miles of a flat water at 7mph.

PS, those waves look like so much fun. once again, envious.

More
3 years 5 months ago #37543 by Super Dave
Thank you Kwolfe on the info regarding the height of the seat.  The V8 does feel low to me but I'm used to being higher on the OC-1.   

I don't mean to make you feel jealous.  Other than being in Hawaii I have all the stressors of a middle aged dude during pandemic.  

Video from 8AM this morning...that's the Marine Base's bugle going off in the background.   Waves were pretty small but perfect for having fun. 

Latest Forum Topics