Surfski for big guys

More
4 years 6 months ago #35119 by M.v.E.
Surfski for big guys was created by M.v.E.
I am asking for a friend of mine who wants to buy a surfski. He´s a big fella. He tried my Stellar SR 2. Gen. and it was way too small for him. We adjusted the footplate in the max. position but his knees were very high and it was too tight at the hips. Then he tried a V 8 which was better but still a little too short for his long legs. Any ideas  which surfski might fit him
He needs a stable beginners boat like the V8 and I guess he will use it exclusively in flat water.

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #35120 by agooding2
Replied by agooding2 on topic Surfski for big guys
A trainer K1 would have more space and be more adjustable.  I'm trying to sell my Nelo Viper 55 as it is too big for me, but that or the 60 would be a good boat for a big guy.

Nelo 550L, Streuer Fejna, Nelo Viper 55
Braca XI 705 EL blade, 17K shaft
Braca XI 675 marathon blade, 19K shaft
Braca IV 670 soft blade, 19K shaft

More
4 years 6 months ago #35123 by davide
Replied by davide on topic Surfski for big guys
I'm 6ft 4 and over 120kg's. I've had a  XT, Horizon and Blue Fin. All great for us larger paddlers, but the Blue Fin is, by far, the most comfortable, and excellent on downwinds.

More
4 years 6 months ago #35124 by Cerca Trova
Replied by Cerca Trova on topic Surfski for big guys
A Stellar G1 SR has a very large bucket. Someone would have to be very large to not fit into it.

More
4 years 6 months ago #35125 by [email protected]
Another awesome boat for really big fellas is the Kayak Centre Zeplin.

www.surfski.info/latest-news/story/1267/...k-centre-zeplin.html

I'm not sure where the Zeplin is manufactured these days, Kayak Centre has closed, but I know the mould was sold and that they are still available.  I'll get my sleuthing hat on.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
4 years 6 months ago #35128 by M.v.E.
Replied by M.v.E. on topic Surfski for big guys
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Davide: Yes, the Bluefin is a big boat and very stable. I rented one on the canary islands a few years ago and we had demanding conditions. I am afraid it might be a bit slow on flatwater.
Cerca Trova: The Stellar SR 1. Gen has a very large bucket indeed. That was my first surfski for many years. 
Maybe he can look out for a used one but they are not often for sale here.
Rob: Interesting! I´ve never seen these brand in Germany though. I doubt that there is a dealer here.

Current Ski: Nelo 550 L
Previous Skis: Stellar SR 1. Gen. / Stellar SEI 1. Gen. / Stellar SR 2. Gen.

More
4 years 5 months ago #35363 by FlipperJim
Replied by FlipperJim on topic Surfski for big guys
Morning all,

I well and truly fit in this realm of big guys, i'm hoping for some help with skis and hopefully I can disseminate some information along the way.

For reference I'm 199cm tall, and 130kg, wearing 38-39 inch shorts.
Based in Broome Western Australia, 2400kms away from WA's Capital, Perth, and Darwin is actually closer, but little to no surf skiing there due to the biteys.
Contending with sharks, crocodiles, irukandji (deadly jelly fish the size of your thumbnail - size doesn't matter), and finding surf skis to fit you 3 days drive away and trying to save a bit buying second hand is proving tough.

Boats that fit;
V10 Sport - great fit. 
Fenn LS (Deep Seat) - Very tight, but managable
Fenn Swordfish - Tight, and its been a long time and a few kgs since I paddled it.
Storm 57 - Excellent Fit, just not that much market presence.
Storm 68 - slightly tighter than the 57, as above, they look very well made, great finish and seem to have modernised ahead of epic and fenn.
Entire Sipre Range of full sized boats seemed to fit. just where I live I wasnt willing to take a risk on a unkonown brand.

Boats I want to try:
Bluefinn
Epic SLS 10

Boats that don't fit. 
Epic V10
Think Uno Max

Hope it helps

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #35386 by Watto
Replied by Watto on topic Surfski for big guys
Hi FlipperJim, tough gig up that way for sure, priority staying on board. Top boats both for stability and speed are the Stellar SR and NK Squall, the Squall equally as stable as the SR but faster, close to if not as fast as Swordfish.

See also  Surfski Comparison . Play around on the site and click away for comparisons of boats vertical and longitudinal on the same page.
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Watto.

Latest Forum Topics