Nelo 560 vs Fenn Surge

• BigFish
  • Visitor
5 years 3 weeks ago #33866 by BigFish
Nelo 560 vs Fenn Surge was created by BigFish
Has anyone tried both the Nelo 560 and the Fenn Surge? How did they compare?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #33867 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Nelo 560 vs Fenn Surge
Although I've paddled them both; it wasn't back to back. They are both boats I would struggle to paddle downwind so unfortunately I can't give any feedback on their wave riding characteristics. However I was surprised at the choppy conditions I managed them in even though I'm of a low to mid intermediate skill level. Not surprisingly they both feel very efficient. The Surge has a very tight bucket (a bit too tight for me). Apparently there is also a wide seat Surge which I would very much like to try. The 560 is quite loose on me. The 560 ML fits me almost perfectly.
I'm 176 cm, 78 kg with about a 100 cm hip measurement.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

• BigFish
  • Visitor
4 years 8 months ago #34792 by BigFish
Replied by BigFish on topic Nelo 560 vs Fenn Surge
Was there anyone else who can comment on the surge in particular? I am looking for a flatwater ski

More
4 years 8 months ago #34794 by ccchappell
Replied by ccchappell on topic Nelo 560 vs Fenn Surge
Hi, know you are looking for more feedback on the Surge...but some additional info on the 560 and shorter skis in flatwater depending on your weight.   From my experience at 215lbs, in flat water the shorter skis take more effort to keep at speed, really amplified in shallower water...maybe 6 ft or less?   Much like a K1 for larger folks.  But my wife (160lbs) paddles the 560 in flat water and flies in it as same effort as her other boats (V10L, V10S, 550).  She paddles 550 primarily in the ocean, but is at least a few tenths mph faster in flat with the 560 and loves it.

Latest Forum Topics