Surfski upgrade help

More
5 years 7 months ago #32709 by Dave74
Surfski upgrade help was created by Dave74
Hi this is my first post, I'm Dave from the UK.
I'm newish to surfski and paddling in general.
I impulse bought a surfski 18 months ago.

I have an old demo Spirit PRS Surfski that I want to upgrade, I find it too tippy in waves and feel it's holding up my journey in surfski - mainly when turning and it's beam waves. Sea where I am is almost always choppy.

I thought an epic v8 would be the obvious choice but a Kysna RS has come available at the right price

Just wondering if this will have enough of a stability increase as it's not a massive jump in width
Spirit PRS 567 x 50
Kysna RS 580 x 52.5

I've never previously kayaked so my bracing won't be great but the PRS is old so ready to change regardless.

Any thoughts on stability and surfski to look at would be great

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #32711 by Atlas
Replied by Atlas on topic Surfski upgrade help
Just about any beginner ski will be significantly more stable than the PRS. The width of the PRS doesn't tell the full story. It has a very round hull which means it has very little primary stability. There is reasonable secondary stability but this takes some getting used to.
The usual advice is to test paddle any ski before buying.

Current boats
Epic V10L Ultra, Epic V9 Ultra, Carbonology Sport Boost X LV, Fenn Bluefin, Nelo 510, Fenn XT double, Nelo 600, Expedition Kayaks Azure, Mirage 732.
Previous boats
Spirit PRS, Fenn Swordfish, Fenn XT, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Zen, Epic V10L Club, Carbonology Sport Boost LV

More
5 years 6 months ago #32712 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic Surfski upgrade help
Sorry I don't know anything about the boat you are asking about. Just want to say that if you are looking at a beginner boat maybe take look at Epic V7. They are heaps an bounds cheaper that anything else, take abuse well and are very good in conditions. Of course they are slow and heavy, and carrying/loading takes getting used to.

More
5 years 6 months ago #32713 by Epicpaddler
Replied by Epicpaddler on topic Surfski upgrade help
Don't know what skis are available in the UK, but I'm new to the sport and just bought an Epic v8pro. Like the Epic v7 that SpaceSputnik mentioned, it's in intro ski, but lighter and faster than the v7. It's rock solid in all conditions and acceptable in speed. I've been racing recently and most of the folks are racing v14's and such. The v8pro can't keep up with them. but I also don't worry about falling out. I can concentrate on my form and put plenty of leg drive into my forward stroke. I'll probably move on to a faster ski as my ability improves. but for now it's a great boat.

More
5 years 6 months ago #32714 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic Surfski upgrade help
V8 Pro is an awesome boat. I know advanced people who prefer them to V10s and V10 Sports and such due to stability in conditions.

• MCImes
  • Visitor
5 years 6 months ago #32716 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Surfski upgrade help
I am also unfarmiliar with both skis you mention, but in general I would say any newer design that is 20.5" beam should be pretty stable for anyone with moderate balance.

My 19" SR is pretty solid even in confused slop, and I am by no means have elite balance. I would imangine 20.5" would be quite stable unless you have poor balance, infrequent paddling, or your average conditions involve reflected waves, steep waves, multi-directional swell, or very strong winds. If you have a couple or 3 of the handicaps on that list, a wider boat may be what you're looking for, but in general I would say 20.5" / 52cm is stable enough for most people to feel comfortable in all but the most extreme conditions.

Latest Forum Topics