Epic V8 double or NELO 600 double

• Hulk
  • Carb. Vault FENN Sw. BOS Raptor EPIC Mid Wing gr
More
5 years 7 months ago #32320 by Hulk
Hi All,

I am wondering who has some feedback about the differences between the Nelo 600 and the Epic V8 double?
Which is the better downwind boat?

I’d like the idea of the Nelo which is only 6 meters long, but it looks a bit like a bathtub. The V8 looks a bit more slimline but is 6.7m, still way shorter that 7+ meter fast doubles...

Cheers
Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #32394 by SurfskiEstonia
Bumping up this topic. The double ski area is still very much unexplored. I posted a similar topic here: www.surfski.info/forum/19-boats/18917-an...nelo-600-double.html and got some good answers, but it seems that there isn't much experience with the 600 among this forum's members.

I was worried about the same problem about 600 - good construction, good weight and price, but could it be like pushing a fat expedition kayak through water? O.Chalupsky says it's fast etc, but his the representative of the manufacturer.

Living in Estonia, there is not much chance I will try a Nelo 600 or another double ski before buying - will buy based on reviews. If I had to choose between a Nelo 600 and a V8 double, I'd go for Nelo (weight/price ratio in Europe is a no-brainer). But I am thinking maybe I should rather buy a more unstable, but a fast double like a V10 double or something else.

Current: Carbonology Boost double, Jantex Gamma Mid
Previous: Nelo Ocean Ski L, Jantex Gamma Rio Large Minus

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #32397 by leolinha
I paddled the V10 double twice and had the impression that it is as stable as the V10 Sport (intermediate level). I heard from more experieced paddlers that the V10 double requires at least one experienced paddler in the boat, because this boat wouldn't work well with 2 beginners on it etc.
For me, the 2 main advantages for the Nelo are the short length (a double which is shorter than my V10 Sport!) and the fact that it can be steered by either paddler. Not sure how it is accomplished though... I don't like the idea of having to deal with a partner messing with his/her pedals while I'm in charge of the rudder. However, this would be great to introduce a beginner friend to surfski.

Current: Epic V8 PRO, Think Evo 3
Past: Epic V8, Epic V10 Sport
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by leolinha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SurfskiEstonia

More
5 years 1 month ago #33446 by gcziko
I've paddled both the Epic V8 double (in the back) and the Nelo 600 double (in both back and front).

The main advantages of the Nelo 600 is that it is shorter than the V8 double and it can be steered from either the front or back (or both!). So if you want to put a novice paddler (such as your child) in the double, putting him or her in the front to watch what they are doing and steering from the back is a major advantage.

The disadvantage of the Nelo 600 is that it is a wider catch in the rear the rear than the V8 double. So you will have to adjust your stroke moving from a single surfski or from the front of the surfski to the back.

I suspect that the V8 double is a bit faster than the Nelo 600 because of it is longer and narrower.

Both surfskis are great fun. You can see me paddling the V8 double here (
) in the back and the Nelo 600 in the front here (
).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Korrigan, SurfskiEstonia

More
5 years 1 month ago #33447 by SurfskiEstonia
Hello, Gcziko! Thanks a lot for the info:) 

This "The disadvantage of the Nelo 600 is that it is a wider catch in the rear the rear than the V8 double. So you will have to adjust your stroke moving from a single surfski or from the front of the surfski to the back." is exactly what I am a little worried about. Guess will have to sit in the front most of the time:D as I really hate that wide sea kayak catch, where one's got to through the blade away from oneself to get it into water:|

What do You all think about Nelo's decision not to introduce a narrower 2-seater.. does it make sense? Probably economically it does?

Current: Carbonology Boost double, Jantex Gamma Mid
Previous: Nelo Ocean Ski L, Jantex Gamma Rio Large Minus

More
5 years 1 month ago #33448 by gcziko
I can't comment on what makes economic sense for Nelo.

But I believe it is possible to narrow the catch of the rear cockpit without narrowing the waterline width or reducing the stability by redesigning the top of the sides.

I suspect we might see that for the second generation of the Nelo 600 double, whenever that might happen.

Latest Forum Topics