Think Evo 3rd Generation

More
6 years 8 months ago #29327 by SimonF
Hello Paddlers,
I'm looking for some feedback or review of the 3rd Gen Evo. Besides what is on the Think FB site, I have found no information.
Any thoughts, including comparisons would be appreciated.

Cheers

Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 8 months ago #29340 by Stew
Replied by Stew on topic Think Evo 3rd Generation
Hi Simon,

As the Australian importer, I can tell you that the Evo Gen3 has been a huge success for us and the changes have been really well received. But unlike other brands who frequent this forum, I won't go into a hard sales pitch for the ski. Te best thing is to try one for yourself, compare it to other skis in the market and see for yourself.

A quick google search for a review found this one at the top:

grumpytex.blogspot.com.au/?m=1

If you have any questions in regards to the Evo, or any of the Think skis in our range, please do not hesitate to ask,

Cheers,

Stew.

More
6 years 8 months ago #29341 by Daz From Tas
Hi Simon,

I've recently taken possession of a gen 3 as a replacement for my evo 2, both in elite construction. Having also owned an evo 2 in performance construction.

I purchased mine sight unseen, hoping the changes would be a positive improvement. In saying that I was happy with the evo 2 until the gen 3 came along.

The narrower catch, bailer & reduced volume in the bow are all positive improvements. The reduced volume is great for a lighter paddler such as myself who weights 70kg, I find that it doesn't get pushed around as much when there is a bit of wind. The bucket continues to be a great fit, you really feel like you sit in the ski rather than on top of it. Whilst side handles don't make paddling any easier they make carrying the ski much easier.

I purchased the gen3 sight unseen only relying on the think website and the review mentioned above, having now had my new ski for a month I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Would I buy a gen3 after now having the opportunity to paddle one, absolutely Yes.

The only downside is you still have to paddle it to go fast.

Regards Darren

More
5 years 10 months ago #31650 by tve
Replied by tve on topic Think Evo 3rd Generation
I recently moved from a Nelo 510 (begiiner ski) to a Nelo 550. While choosing I tried an Evo 3G. It's a really nice boat and the finish and details are awesome. I couldn't try the boat in the ocean but in flatwater it felt great. The slightly elevated seating position is very dynamic and stability-wise it felt like an appropriate step up from a beginner ski. (Not like a V14, which I sat in for a few seconds for grins :-) ).

Ultimately I decided for the 550 because I'm used to the lower hump (in the Evo it was going against my rotation) and I'm used to lower bow volume (I'm 72kg). IMHO anyone looking for an intermediate ski would do well to try an Evo 3G.

• eh.haole
  • Visitor
5 years 10 months ago #31713 by eh.haole
Replied by eh.haole on topic Think Evo 3rd Generation
I have an Evo 3 now in the Elite layup. It is a beautiful boat, it feels fast and performance oriented and is lively and user-friendly.

I'm ~70kgs 176cm, novice to amateur surf skier with years of sea and whitewater kayaking behind me

My other ski is a Stellar SR (2nd gen?) In the Excel layup, also very light.

With the lightweight construction both of these skis have an initial "twitch" until you get a silent core balance-wise. They both also have some noticeable secondary stability which can mean the difference between a correction and a swim. This also comes into play while re-mounting!

In the Evo I feel less "righting moment;" the SR being bulbous and rounded will tend to take care of itself, whereas in the Evo there is a definite need to stay active and a "point of no return." I feel very much "on top" of the Evo, which may or may not relate to paddler weight. The Evo is also more sensitive to cross chop than the SR under my bum, but also much quicker to change direction and hop onto a new wave.

The Evo feels performance-inspired with an efficient bow profile and v-hull forward, narrower cutouts and a higher-feeling seat position, promoting an aggressive stroke. The Evo 3 bow deck I think is lower profile which is great. It still seems to stay up and dry while surfing.

Another couple of awesome features on the Evo 3 are the powerful new bailer and the side handles. Someone has really thoughtfully designed this ski.

More
5 years 9 months ago #31897 by jateureka
Replied by jateureka on topic Think Evo 3rd Generation
Thanks for your thoughts on these skis. I have the Evo II and love the handles too.

Can anyone give us a comparison between Evo III and Swordfish S?

Current: NK Storm 570 carbon lite, Storm 57 race (aramid). Stellar S2E double, Epic V9 custom tourer
Sold: Epic V11 & V12, Stellar S18x, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Evo II

More
5 years 9 months ago #31899 by tve
I found quite an ergonomics difference between the evo III and swordfish S. I sit well connected with the boat in the former and slosh around in the latter. The hump in the evo is more pronounced than in the swordfish. I weigh 72kg. The swordfish turns out to be "too much boat" for me. I suspect that the swordfish has a bit more initial stability, but it's hard for me to tell 'cause I didn't have the evo in waves. Between the two the evo works much better for me.
In addition, I found a huge difference in terms of finish between the two. The Think boats are really well made and ... I'll leave it at that.

More
5 years 9 months ago #31901 by jateureka
Replied by jateureka on topic Think Evo 3rd Generation
Interesting that you find the hump in the new Evo III is still not as low as the Swordfish S.

Current: NK Storm 570 carbon lite, Storm 57 race (aramid). Stellar S2E double, Epic V9 custom tourer
Sold: Epic V11 & V12, Stellar S18x, Fenn Swordfish S, Think Evo II

More
5 years 9 months ago #31902 by tve
I'm used to Nelos, which have almost no hump. In the Evo III I find resistance from the hump. In the swordfish I didn't. I could get used to the EVo hump, it's not a real problem, but I did notice.

Latest Forum Topics