New model v10/stellar SES SEL or Ion

More
8 years 5 months ago #25078 by Rob0870
Need advice, out of the new model V10, SES, SEL skis and the think Ion which one would be the more elite level out of these skis. After a ski for when the conditions get a little nasty. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #25081 by portmanm
Hey Rob, what's you're height and weight ? What % would you say you'll be paddling in nasty conditions ? Have you been paddling for years ? I've paddled all these boats including the new Stellar SEL - I'm 90kg 6ft and paddle 90% in the ocean up to 4m swell and 30 knots. Other possible options VAjda Hawx 46, OSS2, Fenn Spark, Elite S or new Swordfish, Think Evo II. Cheers Matt

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M

More
8 years 5 months ago #25082 by red_pepper
Of the ones you listed, assuming similar layups, the direction from more stable/higher resistance to less stable/lower resistance would probably run V10, Ion, SEL, SES. The V10 and Ion will probably be rather close, but with a different feel to each one. The SEL is going to be close in stability but with less resistance. The SES will be the least stable, but with a smaller paddler (lower weight/lower CG) it can be a great paddling and very fast ski. The SEL would be preferred over the SES if you're on the larger side.

You would need to let us know more about your build and what you're wanting to with the ski; also what kind of water you expect to encounter, what experience you've had, etc.

More
8 years 5 months ago #25083 by Rob0870
I'm 185cm tall and 82kg's. Been paddling skis for 20yrs so no real issues with stability. Currently paddle a UNO max and v14. Looking at one of the mentioned skis for ocean races/paddling when conditions are big side chop/wind/cliff rebound etc and not a clean downwind. Wanting a little bit of extra stability for such conditions however I dont need to go to stable.

More
8 years 5 months ago #25100 by red_pepper
At your height/weight I think you would find the 2nd Gen SEL just about perfect. Speed won't be much off the Uno Max or V14, with just enough extra stability to make you feel more comfortable in bigger conditions.

More
8 years 5 months ago #25104 by portmanm
Agree with Red. Stellar SEL 2nd gen pretty good, been paddling a demo one all week. I typically paddle Epic V10 2nd gen elite, very similar. Happy to paddle both boats in big conditions. Vajda Hawx 46 is a nice ride too. I think the Ion will be too corky for your weight. I've heard good things about Fenn Elite S too. Too many options :-)

Bio
- 90kg, 183cm, paddling 90+% in ocean conditions for 5 years. Prefer downwind.
- Epic V12 1G, V10 1G/2G, V10 Sport, V8 & V8 Pro
- Stellar SEI 1G/2G, SES 1G/2G, SEL 2G, SR 2G & S2E
- Vadja Hawx 43/46/52
- Think Evo II 2G, Ion 1G
- Fenn Elite S, Swordfish S
- Nelo 560M

More
8 years 5 months ago #25105 by MaxB
Sorry to get off topic, but was curious about portmanm's mention of the Vadja Hawx 46. How does that one compare to the other intermediate skis? I gather from it's inclusion in this discussion that it's more at the 'upper intermediate' end?

More
8 years 5 months ago #25107 by Newbflat

portmanm wrote: Agree with Red. Stellar SEL 2nd gen pretty good, been paddling a demo one all week. I typically paddle Epic V10 2nd gen elite, very similar. Happy to paddle both boats in big conditions. Vajda Hawx 46 is a nice ride too. I think the Ion will be too corky for your weight. I've heard good things about Fenn Elite S too. Too many options :-)

Don't mean to hijack the thread but it's somewhat on topic. Could you compare the V10 2nd gen and the 2nd gen SEL a bit more. I'm interested in the new SEL and have been waiting to hear what people think.

Bill

FENN Bluefin S
FENN Swordfish S carbon hybrid
Epic V8 double gen 2
Lot and lots of DK rudders.

Had:
Stellar SEL excel (gen 2)
Stellar SR excel (gen2)
Stellar S18s g1 (excel)
Epic V10 Double (performance)
Stellar SR (gen 1)
V10 sport (gen 2)
V10 (Gen 2)
Beater SEL (gen 1)

More
8 years 5 months ago #25108 by mckengmsurfski
I have not paddled the latest generation of the Stellar SEL and SES so I cannot comment on those skis. Same is true of the Hawx 46. I have paddled the 2nd Gen V10, but only a few times. I think someone like Rob M, who has owned one and paddled it regularly in ocean conditions, would be better to comment.
Being co-owner of the US distributor/importer of Think Kayaks I have spent lots of time in the Ion over the past 2 years. I go between an Ion Ultimate and an Uno Max Elite as my two primary surfskis, with the majority of my paddling being in the Atlantic Ocean or in the harbor here in Charleston, SC. The Ion is an advanced intermediate ski designed for open water downwind paddling and rough conditions. It has a nice amount of rocker and a good bit of volume in the nose and tail, so it picks up runs amazingly well, doesn't pearl or broach easily, and allows for the paddler to change direction on the wave and while linking runs. The volume and very good secondary stability make it very nice in mixed conditions as well. It very quickly became my go-to ski for downwind paddling and paddling in rough conditions. It has a very nice paddling position borrowed from the Evo II with very good ergonomics. I also expected the Ion to be 'corky' with all of the volume that it has, but I have found that not to be the case. I can also say that I've had several people well under 180lbs try the ski with the same results. I personally am 6ft, 175-180lbs, and have no issues with the ski whatsoever, and don't find it at all to have too much volume or corkiness for me, so I don't think it would be an issue for the OP. Speed-wise, it's a bit slower than my Uno Max, but in mixed ocean conditions I find the difference disappears. I've sold several to Uno Max and V12 paddlers, who find that this ski puts a grin on their face everytime they take out in the waves and wind.
Keep in mind that I represent Think here in the US, but I probably have as much experience with the Ion as anyone on the forum, so I thought I'd chime in....
MaxB, I don't have any experience with the Hawx 46 but I have lots with the original Hawx (now called the Hawx 43). I would consider the 43 an advanced intermediate ski (I would also consider the 2 Gen V10 and Ion the same in conditions), so one would think that the 46 would be more of an intermediate level ski? Not sure.

More
8 years 5 months ago #25109 by Midlifecrisis
Apologies for the slight diversion, but this thread has thrown up a few more questions/options.

I have an SES Excel and a Hawx 46 Elite. I have owned a V10S Ultra gen 1 and an SEI Advantage. I have paddled and V10S and V10 gen 2 performance and a Swordfish. From my perspective, the layup makes a lot of difference. I paddled an SES advantage and it was quite different from the SES Excel (both gen 1).

I find the Hawx 46 Elite a fair bit more stable than the SES Excel, but not as stable as the SEI advantage. With my smaller build I find it very comfortable and it is my go to ski. I now only paddle the SES when it is flat or very mild. The SEI always felt a bit too slow, but was very stable in the big stuff given its stability in the heavier layup.

I find the V10S and V10 just don't suit my weight (at 75kg) but plenty of people love them. I didn't like the Swordfish gen 1 due to the hump causing dead leg but I have tried the latest version.

I would just say don't buy a ski unless you have paddled the ski in the layup you intend to buy, in the conditions you intend to paddle. It is worth the time to try them all out if you can. They are all very different and the layups make a big difference. Comfort plays a big part as well.

Again apologies to the original poster as I can't comment on the SEL or Ion, and apologies to those that don't have access to try each type of ski...

Latest Forum Topics