Is there a table of ski stability rankings ?

More
10 years 6 months ago #18188 by uk_exile
I know it's probably an often covered topic however I couldn't find it here & am a newbie. Is there a table ranking the stability of various skis ?
Similar to this table for Multisport kayaks www.arawacanoeclub.org.nz/assets/Kayak-comparison.xls

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18189 by coastbouy
Yes there is! go to: www.surfskiracing.com

and look for the comparison chart
The following user(s) said Thank You: uk_exile

More
10 years 6 months ago #18190 by uk_exile
Thanks. My son has just brought a used Red 7 Surf 70 & we wondered how it fitted in the stability rankings.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18196 by Dicko
I would put it around the evo in terms of speed and stability. Hard boat to remount because of the deep seat, so practice this. Nice solid boat to learn in. Has tendency to bury the nose downwind, so try and stay high on the wave. Would love to paddle one again just to compare it with the boats I've owned since then.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18197 by AR_convert
Dicko, you could probably confirm this? I understand that the current Carbonology boats have a bucket (seat) evolved from the Red 7, so if you like that bucket check out Carbonology skis in the future!

Always looking for the next boat :)

More
10 years 6 months ago #18198 by sAsLEX
Does anyone know how to convert surfski stability to K1 stability ratings?

www.kirtonkayaks.co.uk/home/index.php/our-boats/k1

Where would the Fenns fit in this 1 - 1 scale?

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #18204 by AR_convert

sAsLEX wrote: Does anyone know how to convert surfski stability to K1 stability ratings?

www.kirtonkayaks.co.uk/home/index.php/our-boats/k1

Where would the Fenns fit in this 1 - 1 scale?

You would have to get the person at Kirton Kayaks who made those assesments to paddle the Fenns!

That's the thing, it's personal and subjective.

I guess K1's are a little easier to rate given they are primarily rated for flat water.

The other issue with K1's is seat height, you can swap and change seats, so the same boat with a different seat will make a huge difference.

Always looking for the next boat :)
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by AR_convert.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18211 by lost john
Have to disagree with Dicko - it depends on the year of Surf70. I had both a 2005/2006 vintage Surf70 and an Evo I owned at the same time (see my avatar pic). The Surf70 was far tippier than the Evo and much faster in flat water. I think the next model of Surf70 is what you're speaking of.

• AndyN
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #18212 by AndyN
For what its worth I paddle a Kirton Teckinic K1 which is rated as a 1 on Kirtons scale and a Fenn Spark elite and would rate the Fenn at a 6 or 7....however the comparison is not really relevant cause usage is so different.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #18213 by sAsLEX

AndyN wrote: For what its worth I paddle a Kirton Teckinic K1 which is rated as a 1 on Kirtons scale and a Fenn Spark elite and would rate the Fenn at a 6 or 7....however the comparison is not really relevant cause usage is so different.

That is interesting, I had been planning on s Tor or Typhoon, I only paddle a Fenn Swordfish at home but I am comfortable in any conditions on that and will mainly be on the canals and very flat water in the K1.

Compounding the issue is a shoulder injury that has meant a few months off the water. I am testing some kirtons (tor and high volume typhoon) this weekend so may reevaluate which model I look at
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by sAsLEX. Reason: bloody auto correct

More
10 years 6 months ago #18214 by Kayaker Greg
The Tactic sure is sexy, unfortunately it has a 1 for stability. But its sexiness would be hard to resist :woohoo:

Andy, please share your thoughts on the Fenn Elite Spark, I desire one :evil:

More
10 years 6 months ago #18215 by sAsLEX
Yeah I am not sure pink is the best colour to have advertising the model I am looking at....

More
10 years 6 months ago #18222 by Stew
So much choice for kayaks in Europe, and at a fraction of what we pay in Australia. I wouldn't limit the search to Kirton, so many awesome boats like Nelo, Plastex, Hody, Zedtech etc. You could also pick up a used boat at a good price if you shop around.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18230 by uk_exile

More
10 years 6 months ago #18231 by lost john

uk_exile wrote: The Surf 70 my son has is the older version, not the Pro

www.surfski.info/reviews/story/272/review-red7-surf70.html

www.surfski.info/reviews/story/280/surfs...-red7-surf70pro.html

Among the older Surf70 there is more than one version, The older being like the earlier Valheru model, notoriously tippy at least for some of us. The later Surf70 That Rob reviewed maybe is what Dicko is talking about.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #18232 by uk_exile
Are these pictures enough to ID it ?
www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=630909992

We can tell it's not a Pro due to the front deck shape. What else distinguishes it's type ?
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by uk_exile.

More
10 years 6 months ago #18233 by Dicko
Thats a one of the later versions of the surf 70. The older surf 70's had a reputation for being tippy. As I said before, reasonably stable, fast intermediate boat. I sold mine and bought a pro 70, which was beautiful boat to paddle in anything but side chop. The bigger it got the better it was. I think Rob used to own one and did some pretty quick downwinders in his.
The surf 70 in the picture was significantly more stable than the pro, had a tendency to put the nose under downwind, ( but this was probably due to lack of skill at the time). I would probably still think it was as quick or fractionally quicker than an evo, definitely quicker than a v10 sport. A good cheap boat to learn on. From memory I didn't like the rudder and it had a turning circle like the Queen Mary because of the lack of rocker.
The following user(s) said Thank You: uk_exile

More
10 years 6 months ago #18277 by sAsLEX

Stew wrote: So much choice for kayaks in Europe, and at a fraction of what we pay in Australia. I wouldn't limit the search to Kirton, so many awesome boats like Nelo, Plastex, Hody, Zedtech etc. You could also pick up a used boat at a good price if you shop around.

Kirton and Marsport were the most competitive price wise for new boats, and I was looking for new, the shorter lead time for Kirton won the day.

Plus I spent this morning with the guys from Kirton up at the National Watersports Centre here in the UK and tried a few of their boats.

I tried both the Tor and then Typhoon, and after no paddling since May due to injuring my shoulder I was able to paddle both around reasonably comfortably without taking a swim under way (I did fall in right off the bat, these K1s do seem a whole level above my Swordfish!).

I have ordered a Typhoon partly because they come in a High Volume version and it will leave lots of room to grow my paddling with, going up from a low 2 pin seat through platform seats.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #18282 by uk_exile
Supply with many things depends where you're located. Paddlers in UK would be envious of the range of multisport kayaks in NZ. That's if they wanted one of course.....
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by uk_exile.

• AndyN
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #18290 by AndyN
Greg, Really pleased with the Spark, used to paddle a V12 which is great Ski but always used to feel hard work getting the nose to point exactly where i wanted it, both upwind and downwind.
The Spark being so low in volume feels like a physically shorter and smaller ski and as a result just responds so easily.
I don't know that I'm going any faster overall, but I'm enjoying the feel of the ski on the bumps and it does feel as if i'm not having to work as hard to maintain speed downwind.
I was a little concerned before I got it as I've suffered from dead legs when paddling the Fenn SL or the Elite but don't have that problem with the Spark.
Only note of caution is that I'm 5'10" and the footplate is pretty much as far forward as it can go.

But it gets a highly recommended from me

Latest Forum Topics