Molokai Surfski (the boat not the race)

More
10 years 10 months ago #17045 by smilicus
Hello Everyone

Looking at buying an old Molokai Surfski (still in pristine condition), since my Hammer is dead in the water. Struggling to find a review of the boat. Any of you longtime surfskiers outhere got some experience with the surfski? Please share.

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #17056 by [email protected]
This is a South African Molokai - built by Brian's Kayaks. It was the intermediate ski of its day and I did the first South African World Cup in 2004 on one.

If it's my old boat, it has a orange, green and purple areas of colour on it!

At the time I remember the Mark 1 from Custom Kayaks came out - the Mark 1 was better downwind than the Molokai but I used to power upwind passed the Mark 1s - the Mark 1 was a horrible slapper going upwind.

In its time then, the Molokai was quite popular. I found it quite tippy to begin with after my wedge! But by the time we got to the World Cup, I appreciated its stability and during that race (which was run in exceptionally rough seas) I beat all my buddies who were on their Mark 1s which were more tippy and more tricky to remount.

If you can get the Molokai at a really good price - R2K or less - then go for it, but if you could get a more modern boat at a similar price, I'd go for one of them.

Make sure that the Molokai is the right length for you - those boats were not adjustable!

Hope that helps.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
10 years 10 months ago #17088 by smilicus
Thank you for the info Rob. I have too manny different interest to spend a lot of money on a new generation ski of R5000 plus (Sailing, Mountain Biking, etc). Like to paddle in G'bay over the weekend, weather or should I rather say South Easter permitting, but my Hammer is getting a bit slow since my wife got a Molokai and paddling circles around me.

Going to look at the Molokai this week, in the pictures it still looks in pristine quality and is under the R2k mark.

Take care and paddle safely

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure

More
10 years 10 months ago #17132 by smilicus
Went to have a look at the Molokai yesterday, excellent condition for a boat that age, so I bought it. Going for a paddle (probably more of a swim since it is more tippy) tomorrow late afternoon if the weather keeps.

File Attachment:

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure

• louis2againsurfski
  • Visitor
10 years 10 months ago #17164 by louis2againsurfski
Replied by louis2againsurfski on topic Re: Molokai Surfski (the boat not the race)
Hi smile us

Great pic and great boat I bought a similar last year after having 2 other well known makes. It's a great boat. Also privilege enough to have rob post and comment as well. surfskidorset.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/pro...-of-surfski-ing.html
Attachments:

More
10 years 10 months ago #17191 by smilicus
Went out yesterday on the Molokai for the first paddle. What a lovely ski and fast.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Regards

Smilicus
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everyday's an Adventure

Latest Forum Topics