Calcification on the foot pedals

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16390 by Cayman Ski
Hey there Guys,
Got a Swordfish and I have noticed that there is some calcification on the foot pedals, to be exact on the joining of the side of the railing's that hold's the foot pedal's in place on either side.

I have tried to water blast the stuff off after every paddle but it seems to be coming back after each paddle.

Is there anything that i can do to stop this?

Chris.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Cayman Ski.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16392 by Wally
Short of pulling the rudder system apart and cleaning the oxidation off and then coating the affected area with an inhibitor of some sort and then re-assembling it again, NO.

It should however work for many years as is without any intervention.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cayman Ski

More
10 years 11 months ago #16407 by Cayman Ski
Thanks Wally.
Any inhibitor you could suggest? Live here in Cayman and pretty close to the states?

More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #16409 by Kayaker Greg
Any chance of a pic? I have a Swordfish but its at the club and I'm having trouble picking where you mean. If its the anodised aluminium rail and the anodising has been compromised, you might be best to put up with it for awhile or replace it. Stainless steel and aluminium react when in contact so all screws need a coating of (sorry can't remember the name, go to a marine suppliers and ask, its like an anti seize designed just for this purpose, very thick gluey dark red/brown substance) to isolate the two metals. I used to work in the marine industry and all stainless steel fasteners had to be isolated from the aluminium to prevent the reaction.

If its where the pin on the adjustment for the foot pedals goes into the rails, my Epic V10l did exactly the same thing after only a couple of months and there is probably not a lot you can do. The Stellars use a plastic rail which eliminates this issue.
Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Kayaker Greg.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16410 by Cayman Ski
I will get a pic on this eve.
Thanks for the feed back.

More
10 years 11 months ago #16416 by Bill L

Kayaker Greg wrote: Stainless steel and aluminium react when in contact so all screws need a coating ...just for this purpose, very thick gluey dark red/brown substance) to isolate the two metals.

Lanocote - it works great.

www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal..._product.do?pid=3869

For you think owners, use it on the stainless rudder shaft where it touches the aluminum yoke, it stops any corrosion.

Bill L

More
10 years 11 months ago #16430 by mtnsutton
Another good corrosion preventative is Boeshield. Use it to keep my folding kayaks from coroding together.

boeshield.com/

Creativity Cures Complacency

Latest Forum Topics