Gibbons/interceptor/oceanbuilt surf skis?

More
11 years 3 months ago #14976 by Famo
G'day all - this is a question mostly (but not exclusively) for Western Australian paddlers when considering choice of boat for our daily 15-25 knots sea breeze generated chop. I don't paddle flat water cos I get too bored so tend to go out in the arvos for a spot of wave bashing and catching the downwind runs (which I'm poor at doing but enjoy trying).

I've paddled a Gibbons Rhino Chaser these past 10 yrs but feel its time for newer technology and I'd prefer a slightly less heavy boat to lug around. I'm 170 cm, 80kg and purely for recreational and adrenaline fuelled fun.

Does anyone have experience of Gibbons GR3 and GRX for these conditions? My rhino chaser took a while to master and I still fall off the damn thing when it broaches going down wave faces. It tends to nose dive down waves but I've learned to lean way sback to compensate. This is a nuisance.

I've demo'd the Swordfish and Oceanbuilt Konastorm but found them too tippy and hard to remount due to their deep(er) buckets.

So am looking at spec skis again as their designs will not be too far away from the rhino chaser in which I feel reasonably comfortable.

Has anyone experience with the Oceanbuilt Kona SLS spec? These guys are local designers so I anticipate their design would match the conditions here.

At the club, I've been recommended the Interceptor because it has 'superior build quality' and nearly all the club double skis are interceptors but only one person has a single - I'm going to ask to demo that once I've tracked down the owner. So... Interceptor anyone? (I can't find a website for it.)

I've demo'd Dolphin D1 which was really very similar to the Rhino Chaser as regards stability and didn't seem to nose dive as much. The construction seemed kinda flimsy to me though and the hump wasn't comfortable under my knees but maybe the pedals were too long for me. Also no venturis were very noticeable after having them in the rhino chaser. For me, venturis are 'must have' gear.

The other boat which isn't spec but seems well regarded on theses boards for someone of my expertise (I regard myself as novice/intermediate depending on conditions) is the Epic V8 so this might be in the mix too and one to demo for sure. Some might suggest the V10 Sport but the bucket design is still too deep for me which is why I'm looking to Spec designs again - spec buckets seem to be in the region of 13 cm deep.

Any observations/opinions greatly accepted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #14979 by Dicko
Check out the custom kayaks horizon. Reasonably shallow bucket, really stable, really cheap. Change the rudder. Ash Nesbit had some demos for sale.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Famo

More
11 years 3 months ago #14981 by Simon Haywood
Famo, I'm only been doing ocean downwinding for 16 weeks so yes I'm a real novice...do your self favour try the V8(2013)...The new model is probably as much as 1km/hr faster than the old model(I've paddle the old model in club, ultra & elite config). Both models are very stable - I frighten a couple guys recently as I flew past them on few waves on Saturday (TT7 Cott - Sorrento)- the only thing is it lacks waterline length and I park it occassionaly - So it doesn't glide as well for me. But hey - everything is a compromise - get stability and technique first - master it - then buy another ski and keep the V8 for the big days.
FYI I'll be at Wednesday sunset series race and the Duel on Sunday...If you want to have a closer look.

Previous craft: Affinity, Endorfinn, Multisport, Epic V8, V10sport, V10, V12, Fenn Swordfish, Spirit PRS Elite; Stellar S18S, SR, SE, SEL, S2E, S2EL

Current Skis:
Huki S1-R
Stellar S18S - Excel
Stellar SR - Ultra

Skis on order: None!

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #14991 by thebigadski
Hi Famo

As the WA distributor for Think Kayak I'd like to offer you the opportunity to come & try both the Think EVO II & EZE.

The EVO II is our intermediate DW racing boat which has gained a lot of respect over the last few months here in WA as a stable & fast ocean racer.

Where as the EZE is our entry level ski designed to master the ocean runs whilst being extremely stable with an remarkably narrow catch for such a boat. I recently participated in the West Coast Downwinder on the glass EZE and without any consistant training or decent fitness managed to maintain a 14.5km/h average for the 18km race!! - I was really amazed at how well it went considering its dimensions!!

Our glass versions weigh in at 15kg.

I'd be happy to arrange a demo, feel free to contact me.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by thebigadski. Reason: spelling!

More
11 years 3 months ago #14999 by NaClH2Oaddict
Interceptor surf skis have the best build quality I've seen in spec skis in my 40 years of paddling. They have low sides and are easy for you to remount. Perhaps I'm biased owning one and being from Newcastle NSW. I don't think there is a fancy website. They sell themselves. Paul Byrnes manufactures them from his Cardiff workshop. The workshop number is in the whitepages (02 4954 5656). Cheers.

More
11 years 3 months ago #15030 by Harris
Hi Famo,
I have been paddling an Interceptor Edge (slsa club spec ski) for a number of years and find it very fast and very stable. I live just inland from Newcastle, NSW where the skis are made and bought mine new with my own colour design. I can also verify that I have no affiliation with the company either personally or on a business level, but the skis are highly regarded in this region. I paddle my ski both on inland lakes/dams and also beach/surf and open ocean conditions at Stockton beach and up the east coat to Burleigh Heads. I am currently looking to advance to an ocean ski such as a Vajda Orca or Epic V10, but will still be keeping my Interceptor Edge for surf conditions.

Latest Forum Topics