Custom Kayaks Focus vs Fenn Swordfish

More
12 years 1 month ago #10355 by Warwick
I am looking to buy an intermediate surfski this year, I have heard good things about the Custom Kayaks Focus and the Fenn Swordfish. I live in Durban, so from an after sales service point of view, it makes sense to look at the Focus. Though, I would like to hear more about the Swordfish before I make up my mind.

Is there anybody out there who has done a comparison of the two boats, I would love to see a shootout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moll

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10358 by owenfromwales
I think Rob will be on the case once he gets the chance (so many boats - so little time!), but yeah, this is the showdown I`m also most interested in hearing about.

189cm 90~100kg
Present skis:
2017 Stellar SEI 2G
1993 Gaisford Spec Ski
1980s Pratt Spec Ski
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor
Previous
1980s UK Surf Skis Ocean Razor X 3
1987 Kevlar Chalupsky (Hummel) (Welsh copy!)
1988 Kevlar Double Chalupsky
1992 Hammerhead spec
2000 Fenn copy

More
12 years 1 month ago #10377 by Ryan
Paddle both No one can tell you which suits you best. Get hold of the reps, organise a test paddle and decide which you prefer. They are both good boats well made, with the focus able to accomodate the larger paddler.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10383 by [email protected]

Ryan wrote: with the focus able to accomodate the larger paddler.

I'll say - the Focus has the widest range of footplate adjustment I've ever seen!

Not sure that we'll get hold of one to play with down here. I paddled it once on a gentle reverse Millers without any of my regular marks to compare against.

Rob

Currently Fenn Swordfish S, Epic V10 Double.
Previously: Think Evo II, Carbonology Zest, Fenn Swordfish, Epic V10, Fenn Elite, Red7 Surf70 Pro, Epic V10 Sport, Genius Blu, Kayak Centre Zeplin, Fenn Mako6, Custom Kayaks ICON, Brian's Kayaks Molokai, Brian's Kayaks Wedge and several others...

More
12 years 1 month ago #10429 by Ric
All the above stated, here's an opinion from a shorter, lighter paddler... Paddled one the other day, and a friend has the first one in CT, so I'll try post a bit more when I try it again.

It has HUGE footplate adjustment - my legs are too short to paddle the SF properly (have to use tiptoes! LOL). I can fit the Focus fine, and stable in pretty tippy conditions. Considering how tall Mark is that made the boat!!!

In terms of weight, at 75kg I weigh enough to make good use of the boat, and its stable enough.

My opinion, is that this is as much of a game-changer as the SF seems to have been toted as. If I were to upgrade now from Genius CLK, I'd take the Focus gladly.

More
12 years 1 month ago #10511 by Kneewall49
I can't compare these two boats, havn't paddled the Focus or even seen one, however I can commnet on the SF.

I paddled a Glass Mako 6 previous and loved it except for occassional broaching on the odd wild run.

I bought the SF sight unseen and found it immediately easy to paddle. However despite setting it up exactly as my 6, I stuggled to get comfortable (numb feet/leg) for a couple of weeks, even considered flicking it.

But after some perserverance I got it right and now 6 months later I rave about this boat.

It's light to carry but not flighty on the water; it is amazingly maneoverable on runs and on the flat, so responsive, like a quality sports car. I now find it very comfortable, easier to pull on a run than the 6. Just a hoot in big seas and wind. I don't find it tippy at all. I'm sure I'm faster in this boat than the 6.

My point is that you can't really tell what a boat will be like or suited to you, until solid time in the saddle. A solid weekend with a demo or borrowed boat is the only fair way to compare craft.

Enyoy your choice what ever it is?

Northern Beaches, Australia.
[Fenn Swordfish, Fenn Spark, Carbonology Zest Double
Pain is temporary, glory can be even less so...

Latest Forum Topics