Re: Stretching - Before and After paddling

More
15 years 10 months ago #321 by cjborg
One of the best videos I've found is Rodney Yee's "Yoga for Athletes." The routine is about 45 minutes and contains lots of poses that twist the lower spine, back, shoulders, and open the hips and pelvis. Most of the poses are fairly easy to master and can be used as stand-alone stretches. I've been incorporating these into my stretching routine and they really help. For me, stretching after exercise, whether biking or paddling, versus not stretching means the difference between painful stiffness and feeling limber and pain-free, particularly in my hips, quads and lower back. If only I would pop in this tape and do the full routine more 'routinely', I'd probably never get stiff and sore, even though I'm nearing the age 'older-than-dirt'.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #322 by RHamady
As a paddler at the very bottom of the paddling food chain :), I can at least attest to the YOGA comment above. I have been practicing Yoga for over two years, I go to the Yoga studio 3-4 nights a week (time permitting) and I can say that it has made a profound impact on my body. I'm 43 and in good health, however, Yoga really delves in and impacts so many areas of your body that you wouldn't typically work on.

Before I started I couldn't even bend over and touch the ground with my legs straight. Now I can do it without even warming up.......

It has increased my flexibility, endurance, balance and so many other aspects of my life that you have to try it. Yoga isn't for women as many folks think. You might be surprised to see a fair number of men in Yoga classes. Another benefit is that Yoga also incorporates relaxation and meditative techniques as well so you leave with a nice full body workout and your head is in the "Right place" as well !

Give it a try, you'll love it.
Aloha,
-Rich

More
15 years 10 months ago #323 by houls
Hi Guys this is my first time on the forum and this topic comes at a very good time for me, as I'm currently suffering from a very tender lower back after a relatively big week of paddling last week by my standards. I'm aiming at Molokai next year and as such I have to do something about this problem soon thanks for the ideas.

More
15 years 10 months ago #324 by MFB

As a paddler at the very bottom of the paddling food chain :), I can at least attest to the YOGA comment above. I have been practicing Yoga for over two years, I go to the Yoga studio 3-4 nights a week (time permitting) and I can say that it has made a profound impact on my body. I'm 43 and in good health, however, Yoga really delves in and impacts so many areas of your body that you wouldn't typically work on.

Before I started I couldn't even bend over and touch the ground with my legs straight. Now I can do it without even warming up.......

It has increased my flexibility, endurance, balance and so many other aspects of my life that you have to try it. Yoga isn't for women as many folks think. You might be surprised to see a fair number of men in Yoga classes. Another benefit is that Yoga also incorporates relaxation and meditative techniques as well so you leave with a nice full body workout and your head is in the "Right place" as well !

Give it a try, you'll love it.
Aloha,
-Rich

Hi Rich,

Im just about to start yoga in a months time. They're offering Bikram Yoga near our place and its going to be convenient for me. Not sure if the heat will help. Have you tried this?

More
15 years 10 months ago #325 by RHamady
No, haven't tried the Bikram Yoga yet, I do the typical "Hatha" yoga. Which is the typical, more mainstream Yoga style that people experience. I know a number of folks that do the Bikram Yoga and they like it. I think it's also called "Hot Yoga" around here. The thought is, is that with the extra heat, you can get deeper into the poses and stretches more. Of course in my Hatha class, there are many days I'm sweating bullets as well, and it's just regular temperature room.

In my opinion, it's good to try a number of different styles of Yoga, you find you prefer one over the other. Regardless, you will love it and you will love the physical benefits you get from it. Lots of stretching and strength training as well.

Enjoy and let me know how it goes!
Aloha,
-Rich

More
15 years 10 months ago #326 by MFB
Thanks for the insights Rich. I got a copy of Rodney Yee's Yoga for Athletes. That will get me started. Bikram Yoga studio opens in a months time in our area. I might enroll for trail first and check how I hold up with the extra heat. I was told it can go as high as 40 to 45 celsius!

As a benefit for guys, mostly women join these classes. Its all pose and work though, no chit chat.

More
15 years 9 months ago #327 by Jeany
Having paddled for some years at a sport school with top trainers, we always always always did some stretching before a paddle.

Having also done yoga for ten years now, I would recommend Ashtanga yoga, perhaps 10 sun salutations (5 A and 5 B) before a paddle, which will stretch your lower back nicely and also get your shoulders and arms ready. Hope this helps.

More
15 years 9 months ago #328 by thebigadski

perhaps 10 sun salutations (5 A and 5 B) before a paddle,

Jeany, having no idea about any yoga techniques :-\
could you post some pics of this stretch??

Cheers ;D

Latest Forum Topics