Do you crosstrain?

More
5 years 3 months ago #33311 by surfski dude
Just wondering if its good to crosstrain? Do any of you run, cycle, lift weights to supplement your paddling? If so how much? What's your training routine look like?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #33313 by Impala
Replied by Impala on topic Do you crosstrain?
Currently I am doing too much cross-training and too little paddling ... it's winter.
Unless you are a natural-born musculous type, strength training for water sports is obligatory, not only for paddlers, but also for e.g. swimmers. I try to do this 3 times a week.
I also need to run to keep my hip joints in shape (paddling puts a lot of pressure on my hips), but usually do not manage often enough.
I ordered a cross-training ergometer to make this crosstraining easier to organize during winter time and with a small kid to look after.

More
5 years 3 months ago #33314 by ErikE
Replied by ErikE on topic Do you crosstrain?
Yes.  For a few reasons:
* More balanced training (paddling doesn't do much for the legs)
* In my part of the world, paddling isn't possible through all of the year
* I like those other activities too

Things I do:
* Paddling (spring - summer - autumn)
* Cycling (esp spring -  summer - autumn, but also a bit in the winter)
* A little bit of running (spring - summer - autumn)
* Weight training (autumn - winter -spring)
* cross country skiing (winter)
* skating (winter)

More
5 years 3 months ago #33315 by kwolfe
Replied by kwolfe on topic Do you crosstrain?
I'm with you guys.  I do other exercise many days on the week.  

Since its cold and dark on the mornings, I get on either my Speedstroke Erg or my Concept rower (with or without canoe paddle adapter) and do between 5 and 10k before work.

I also workout during lunch (weights or running), 4 days during the week.

More
5 years 3 months ago #33316 by Cerca Trova
Replied by Cerca Trova on topic Do you crosstrain?
I crosstrain all year.
For balance I sit on a 65cm excercise ball without feet on the ground. I do this almost daily.
For strength training I use a palates reformer.
For cardiovascular I use a rowing machine.
And I walk at least 2 1/2  miles at a brisk pace. And most importantly I paddle often for 6 to 10 miles at a brisk pace as often as I can. During the summer 3 to 4 times a week. In the winter as often as the water isn't frozen.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #33319 by SurfskiEstonia
Replied by SurfskiEstonia on topic Do you crosstrain?
Good question from the Dude:)

Although it may seem obvious that one needs to do other training to balance paddling, I experimented with nothing-but-paddling program this summer.

My normal routine is to go to the gym 3-4 times a week and do mostly compound movements to get stronger. My main strengths are the squat and the deadlift, because my legs are much better developed than the upper body (genetics). Never really had any pains in the lower body.

This summer I decided I would only paddle (at least 5  times a week). No lifting, no jogging, no core. The result was pains in my hips and knees. The pain was bad enough to go the doctor. It appeared that my calf muscles were getting shorter and that caused the knee pain. The hip pain was from the constant sitting behind a desk at work and then in the boat, so the hip flexors were shortening too. Jogging took away the knee pains in 2 sessions, stretching started to improve the hips. Impala's post was right up my alley. 

Now I've decided to strive for a 4 day training week off-season: 1) lifting for upper body, 2) lifting for lower body, 3) jogging (on the treadmill or outside) and 4) YOGA. Yoga does wonders in a couple of sessions already. I'm planning to try to uphold this routine in summer as well. In case, paddling is too attractive, I will substitute those two gym days with paddling, but not yoga or jogging days, cause the latter seem too effective to be dropped.

Current: Carbonology Boost double, Jantex Gamma Mid
Previous: Nelo Ocean Ski L, Jantex Gamma Rio Large Minus
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by SurfskiEstonia. Reason: spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Impala

More
5 years 3 months ago #33322 by SpaceSputnik
Replied by SpaceSputnik on topic Do you crosstrain?
I lift weights. Currently 3 times a week. It's my primary fitness vehicle, keeps the weight off and basically helps me not to becomes a shapeless pile of fat most guys my age are. I was doing that before I started paddling and will continue if for whatever reason I can't paddle anymore. I don't paddle anywhere enough for it to be my main workout anyways

Also stretching and daily balance training on a swiss ball. The latter is paddling oriented but I am thinking that benefits of that go beyond paddling.

More
5 years 3 months ago #33323 by surfski dude
Replied by surfski dude on topic Do you crosstrain?
Its great to hear all the different training you all add to your paddling. This time of year I run more then i get to paddle. I also hit weights 3-4 times a week. I try to mountain bike some also. I have a paddling erg and rowing machine I supplement some also..

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #33331 by LakeMan
Replied by LakeMan on topic Do you crosstrain?
I eat only what is raised or grown and I eat two meals a day 5 hours apart with no snacking. If I don't keep the weight off all the crosstraining in the world won't allow me to fit in my ski. For exercise I do just about everything. The gym 5 days a week with high reps and low weight. Run, hike, swim, bike, etc. Paddling is my favorite. 

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by LakeMan. Reason: Misspell

• MCImes
  • Visitor
5 years 3 months ago #33332 by MCImes
Replied by MCImes on topic Do you crosstrain?
I paddle canoe (north american canoe), but as another paddle sport I dont know how much that counts. Other than that I hike and play Ultimate Frisbee 1-2 times a week each  and occasionally will take a 20-30 minute jog. I used to bike, but just havent done much lately as the bike needs some upgrades. 

When I lived in the cold north I would more or less take the winter off and let my joints rest (minus the thousands of pounds of snow to move on a good year). A lot of the canoe group were avid cross country skiiers, but that never appealed to me. 

For the most part my routine is just eat home cooked food and paddle as much as possible!

Latest Forum Topics