Recommendations on technique resources

• malvina
  • Visitor
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #29088 by malvina
Hi,

Too windy for me today, so I thought I would take some time to list my favourite documents on paddling technique. I am sure many of you have already come across most of them, but just in case this list can be of use to some of the other forum members.

"Ivan Lawler technique master class". This video was already recommended in this forum, but I find it so good I thought I would put it here as a refresher. Here is the link to the full version:

"The Brent Reitz forward stroke clinic". Not as advanced as Lawler´s masterclass, but this is a jewel for beginners with no access to formal training. It is in DVD format. Here is the Amazon link:

www.amazon.com/Brent-Reitz-Forward-Strok...ords=the+brent+reitz

"The Kayak coaches manifesto by Dari Fisher". I would say for intermediate and advanced paddlers. It is very focused on Imre Kemecsey´s Power Circles approach. I found this book to be much more user friendly than Kemecsey´s own documents. Link to Amazon:

www.amazon.com/Kayak-Coaches-Manifesto-A...keywords=dari+fisher

"Surfski: Perfecting your technique by Kevin Brunette". An ebook with really great explanations on how and why, this produced a huge boost in my paddling skills. Very comprehensive and convincing. I would say for all levels. Link to ebook store:

www.lulu.com/shop/kevin-brunette/surfski...roduct-23209566.html

"Coaching handbook by the British Canoe Union". This book is not exclusively about technique, but has a very good section on explaining and expanding on Kemecsey´s power circles approach to training. Link to Amazon:

www.amazon.com/British-Canoe-Union-Coach...=british+canoe+union

"The Barton Mold by Greg Barton". Again, not exclusively about technique but has some very good insights into hows and whys. I found it much more useful than Barton / Chalupsky´s (I dare say) dated forward stroke DVD. Here is the link to the PDF download:

bki.lt/straipsniai/the_barton_mold.pdf

I am very much aware that this list is far from exhaustive. As a matter of fact, I would love any initiative by other forum members to expand it with additional recommendations.

For the purposes of this post, I have focused only on long (heavy) documents that provide a panoramic, all embracing view on stroke technique. Therefore, I have intentionally left out the numerous (less comprehensive) articles and videos that also provide great advice and that can be found in several web sites, including this one.

I hope some of you find this useful
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by malvina. Reason: adding links

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #29092 by Uffilation
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Uffilation. Reason: link added

More
6 years 9 months ago #29098 by PharmGeek
I'm a newB - have watched various generic non professional very short gents videos on the forward stroke which actually helped me (relative to the horror of a stroke that predates that)

I just watched that first video with Lawler - the correction of the horror will continue.

Clearly I'll need some instruction as well but it seemed a very helpful primer for me :)

Thanks for the share.

More
6 years 9 months ago #29099 by Fath2o
Just can't emphasize enough the benefits of proper paddle technique/training is!

• malvina
  • Visitor
6 years 9 months ago #29102 by malvina
Replied by malvina on topic Recommendations on technique resources
Hello Pharmgeek and welcome to this wonderful sport.

As I understand you are starting from scratch, I would strongly recommend that you get the Brent Reitz´s DVD. At the beginning, it is very easy to develop injuries due to poor technique. If you paddle for an hour at 35 strokes per minute, you are doing the same movement over 2000 times. So if you don´t get it right, you are likely to start soon start feeling discomfort in your forearms and shoulders. This DVD is very focused on explaining the basic principles to a "healthy" stroke. Once you have incorporated those principles to your stroke, you can move to the other, more advanced, documents to tune your technique for maximum efficiency.

Cheers

More
6 years 8 months ago #29108 by PharmGeek
Thanks! Yes from scratch indeed - although I may have a few bad habits from my few years of paddling so far but I have paddled so few total hours I probably have few hard ingrained habits at this point.

I looked up the DVD - only a available used through Amazon - is this a reliable way to buy it? Seems the DVD just isn't made anymore as a new purchase.

More
6 years 8 months ago #29109 by LakeMan
Thanks for all the info leads however you did forget to add one on how to build your own boat from a tree in your yard.

vimeo.com/207763253

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

• malvina
  • Visitor
6 years 8 months ago #29111 by malvina
Yes, it is out of "print". I also got mine from Amazon market place and got a perfect copy.

• malvina
  • Visitor
6 years 8 months ago #29112 by malvina
To Lakeman: Hahaha. I am barely able to change a light bulb, but may give this a try

Latest Forum Topics