Training - Sydney Harbour

More
10 years 4 months ago #19217 by Ronnycox
Hi All

I'm moving down to Sydney at xmas so looking for anyone else who trains in Sydney harbour. I'll be living in the Abbotsford area so just checking if there are any groups training in and around that area in the mornings?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19222 by Love2ski
Replied by Love2ski on topic Training - Sydney Harbour
Hi,

There are heaps of training squads on the harbour. I like the Monday and Friday squad run by dean gardiner. It starts at 5.30am from clontarf. It has a pretty hi standard group which means I am usually up the back. This is good for me, and the way the intervals are set up the group always closes up again. The distance worked is about 12-14kms so we are off the water at 7am. If you put the hard yards in you will definitely get faster.

More
10 years 4 months ago #19225 by J3ZZA
Replied by J3ZZA on topic Training - Sydney Harbour
There are a few options on the south side of the harbour to choose from.
Lane Cove River Kayakers run a flatwater 12km time trial at 6pm every Wed. Between 30 and 50 boats - around 25% are now skis. See www.lcrk.org.au/pmwiki/pmwiki.phpn=Main.WednesdayNightPaddle.
Many of this group train on the same river on Tuesday and Friday mornings. Closer to Abbotsford is to launch at the Figtree Bridge at the lower end of the time trial (Linley Point) for solo river training.
Still in the harbour, on the south side, Shark Island Paddlers run a time trial from Rose Bay beach (easy and fast through the cross city tunnel). on water at 8am on a Sat and also run training sessions on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. See groupspaces.com/sharkislandpaddlers/page...hark-island-paddlers
Several paddlers launch from the beach in Rozelle Bay at Annandale for solo or group training - any morning - most on Fri / Sat / Sun. Also Rodd Point in Iron Cove gets a few for the flat water there and is close to Abbotsford. Paddle around the islands from there and chase ferry wash.
The worst part about travelling to paddle in Sydney is the traffic on the way back or to work...
Keep an eye on surfskiaustralia.com/ for upcoming local events. There is a 3 race Ocean Series and an 8 event Harbour Series of ~18km races at several venues around Sydney Harbour and environs commencing in February.

Current: Carbonology Vault, Carbonology Boost LV, Vajda Spirit K1
Previously: Fenn Swordfish, Sladecraft Sonic, Older K1, Elliott Vindicator, Elliott Marauder,

More
10 years 4 months ago #19247 by andrew wheeler
There are a few of us who train on workdays on the west side of the harbour bridge. We generally meet at 6am on the water at Woolwich Baths (opposite Longueville Wharf) on the Lane Cove River and then train for about an hour. Training is a mix of sprints, courses (e.g. using the islands in the harbour (e.g. Goat, Cockatoo, Spectacle, Rodd) as turning bouys) and other interval training.

At the moment we are training Tues/Wed/Thurs. All welcome.

More
9 years 9 months ago #21114 by ed_fireblade
Hi Andrew - random question considering that this is 6 months after the last post but do you guys still meet up on LCR for weekday sessions? I keep my ski in Tambourine Bay at the moment and I'm hoping to find some training buddies.
Cheers
Ed

More
9 years 9 months ago #21115 by J3ZZA
Replied by J3ZZA on topic Training - Sydney Harbour
Hi Ed - Lane Cove River Kayakers run a time trial every Wd evening. On water for 6.30pm. There is a Boatshed about to be built there so storage for kayaks and skis just 25m from the launching pontoon will be available. They do 6, 9 or 12km. Times taken and put on club website. Many skis as well as single and double kayaks. All levels of skill, speed, experience and ability - see results page at LCRK. Mostly a marathon based club but many cross over and paddle skis and compete in the Harbour Series events which are run around Sydney.
Many train on pretty much any morning up and down LCR.
www.lanecove.org.au
www.surfskiaustralia.com

Current: Carbonology Vault, Carbonology Boost LV, Vajda Spirit K1
Previously: Fenn Swordfish, Sladecraft Sonic, Older K1, Elliott Vindicator, Elliott Marauder,
The following user(s) said Thank You: ed_fireblade

More
9 years 9 months ago #21119 by andrew wheeler
Ed, we still train through winter and the meeting time is still 6am between Woolwich Baths and Longueville Wharf. Biggest group will be Tues and Thurs, however some of us will also be out other mornings as well.

A few of us are on holidays at the moment for so for the next week or so not sure who will be there.

Latest Forum Topics